PDA

View Full Version : OT -23 and they still have school!

bluej
01-30-2004, 09:56 AM
It's -23 degrees out and the kids still have school today. That's the temp people, not the windchill! Kids have to stand at the bus stop and freeze their little patooties off. Not at my bus stop though, I'm driving Alex there and all of the kids can climb into the van and stay warm until the bus arrives. And then my neighbor will pick them all up after school and deliver them to their homes. But I'm sure that's not the case at most bus stops. I honestly think it's just too damn cold to have kids outside for any amount of time today.

jesseandgrace
01-30-2004, 11:37 AM
OMG - I can't believe that. It seems like that is so dangerous! Is it like that all the time and they just can't keep cancelling school?

bluej
01-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Fortunately it's not like this all of the time. Just the past couple of days. Lots of schools in other districts ended up having late start times, not ours :( On a positive note ALL kids are bussed to school in our district (unless they literally live right next to the school), no one has to walk to school, so at least they only have to freeze on the walk to the bus stop and while they are waiting, instead of having to walk seven blocks to school.

emmiem
01-30-2004, 12:07 PM
I don't know where you live but we have lived in South Dakota and Chicago where temps can also get that cold. School was never cancelled! In SD, we also went outside even if it was for five minutes. We were told to dress them in layers and in snowsuits! The kids did not mind. I took her outside everyday. We wore undershirts, long johns, t-necks, sweaters and heavy heavy coats, scarfs, gloves, and hats! It stays too cold too long to stay inside.
emmie

bluej
01-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Hey! I'm from South Dakota! I know kids seem to be immune from the cold, but I honestly don't remember it ever being this cold when I was a kid. I remember lots of snow (that's my other bitch, where's all of the freaking snow?), but I don't recall bitter temps. I grew up in a rural area and school was cancelled all of the time b/c the country kids couldn't get to town. That was usually due to snow though, not temps. I guess I'm just becoming a wuss (and an overprotective parent) as I get older. I'm in MN right now.

On a freakish weather sidenote: Last Friday I left here (MN) and it was 13 degrees. When I got to my parents in SD it was 48 degrees there. DH didn't believe me.

toomanystrollers
01-30-2004, 01:10 PM
Just over a week ago, for the first time I can ever remember, the school districts here in Massachusetts closed because of the temp. It was around -10 to 0 with an awful windchill factor.

Stay warm - hot cocoa & marshmellows :)

flagger
01-30-2004, 07:30 PM
My late father would have seen this post and said something about uphill both ways IN THE SNOW.

:D

winterwonderland
01-31-2004, 01:10 PM
It's good to see others on this board from the upper Midwest. I live in WI but just on the boarder. I am only about 20 miles the Twin Cities area.

I also am upset about no snow. Everything we have gotten had melted only a few days later. My sister in Fargo got 13 + inches put she is more in the deep freeze than I am right now! At least with the cold weather the snow we have isn't melting and they predict more snow the next couple of days!!!

amp
01-31-2004, 06:47 PM
Man, here, if there's a flake of snow they cancel school! I'm from Michigan and we used to get several inches of snow with no fanfare. Here (KS), they are now in serious weather mode right now because we might get 8-14" of snow! YIKES! Seriously, that's not a huge deal, even if it does slow stuff down for awhile!