PDA

View Full Version : Rant about footed sleepers and stupid seasonal sales

peanut4us
02-02-2004, 11:57 AM
OK. So the sleepers she had been wearing were footed, knit cotton carters brand. That's all she's ever worn. they keep her warm; they're easy to find on sale. Enough said.

Well evidently not! Grrr. The ones she has are 6-9 months and they still fit fine everywhere except through the crotch and legs. Seriously when she stood up or had a full diaper the snaps would pop open. So I finally broke down and went to the evil BRU store to get her new carters jammies.. Um, no size 9-12 months. Freaking hello! She's still a baby last time I checked. She kicks her socks off... she'd freeze her buns off. But sleepers without feet in a 9-12 month size weren't availabale either. So I broke down and dragged the fam to the mall (I hate the mall). I discovered after going to penney's, sears, mervyns, and foleys, that Carters evidently doesn't make footed sleepers in the 9-12 month age range. Grrr. Not only that, but these loser store had no footed sleepers of any brand in her size. So I was going to break down and buy 2 pieces that snap at the waist, but they had nothing with long sleeves. GRR! And one sales lady said "well, you should have bought in decembre when we closed all of the winter stuff out" WTF?! How the hell am I supposed to know that carters doesn't at least let a kid finish out their first freaking year before they can't wear footed sleepers! For pete sake!

So then I remembered COF and Gymboree. I swore I would never pay for such expensive jammies! But damnit! At least they had them in her size in abundance. They are such a better quality than the carter's ones too. And I did get COF on them.

I hate the mall.

amp
02-02-2004, 12:07 PM
This really bugged me about Carter's too. We did buy some fleece ones, but cotton or terrycloth in larger sizes are nil! DS was in 9-12 mth sizes during fall and winter, so we had a hard time finding pj's. And I'm definitely not ready for 2 pc. pjs!

Marisa6826
02-02-2004, 12:25 PM
Baby Tales makes nice thick cotton footed ones to 18m. Lands End has nice ones too I think.

I got mine at Buy Buy Baby

-m

nitaghei
02-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Joey,

I hear you!! I nearly went crazy last fall trying to find sleepers with feet that would fit DS once he was 7 months old. I've had very good luck finding reasonably priced footed cotton sleepers in larger sizes (including 18-24 months) at Oshkosh

www.oshkoshbgosh.com

As usual - they had a lot more stuff for girls! The boys sleepers run quite long - and wider than the Gymboree ones, which actually fit DS better.

I stocked up at the Gymboree sale - even got the dragon ones in 2 sizes.

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

khakismom
02-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Carter's does actually make sleepers over 9-12m, but I have only found them at the Carter's outlets. :( Plus, they're not the same quality of the infant ones. The inside of the footies are plastic--ICK! Like that's comfortable and cozy for a baby! And they seem thin and scratchy to me.

I love Gymbo and Gap, but not for sleepers--they're too expensive. My favorite are The Children's Place for sleepers. In fact, almost all of the sleepers I have for both girls are from TCP! Their soft winter ones are so warm and toasty, and the footies don't have the plastic at the bottom of them. I even buy the thin cotton ones too for spring and fall. For the winter ones you can get them 3 for $30, or normally $12.50 each. The thin cotton ones are normally $10.50 each, or 2 for $18, or something like that.

Good luck!! :)

alkagift
02-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Joey, Joey, Joey, you are SO reading my mind! I came back from the round the world (store) tour the other day just almost in TEARS that I couldn't find any simple cotton jammies for DS! He's wearing the sleep sack so the cotton ones are the way to go! DS is 29 inches long and is wearing the 12 month sizes. I saw the ones online for Gymboree but I just didn't want to pay shipping, etc. I could go to the Gym store, but I hate going to the mall only to discover that they don't have his size either (just too worn down from the hunt this weekend). I'll have to get motivated because Matthew is just about out.

When I went to BRU, Target, Marshalls, Old Navy, TJ Maxx, Stein Mart (I will do anything to avoid paying full price) the only things I found that had footies were POLYESTER--and thin cheap polyester, ick! Did you see that kind of stuff too? I just thought it was the same old boys-clothing-stinks issue.

I did spring for a fleece two piece set in Lands End overstocks, figuring that I'll have to retire the Sleep Sack when he wears those.

BTW, what is COF?

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

peanut4us
02-02-2004, 02:00 PM
I so feel your pain! I went shopping having no clue that I was looking for the practically impossible dream! I realized while I was out that I could probably get some decent ones online from lands end, etc, but I was too tired to care anymore.

COF is Circle of Friends... the Gymboree, whoopdeedoo sale. I should also say that I did find 1 footed sleeper in her size, but it was fleece... um we live in Texas. Can you say she would cook? And yet, she would freeze her buns off without long sleeves and feet! Good luck on your quest... and thanks for the sympathy!

snp624
02-02-2004, 02:04 PM
I have same complaints about footed sleepers! I had 4 fleece sleepers from Carters but zipper tab/pull came off two of them. (Fortunaltely in the dryer so dd didn't try to eat them or anything...) I went to Kohls last months to find replacements. They only had one in her size (18-24mon.) , so I got that even though I didn't like the style. When I originally bought fleece sleepers at Kohls, Sleepers were all over the baby section. Filling all the walls. This is so weird. I wish they'd just make high qualiy product so that we don't have to buy them again in one season :( I also bought one package of size 2T sleepers from Gerber at Target (comes in 2) but this one is little too big for dd.

I think you are better off with Gymboree sleepers though. You wouldn't want to have to buy more sleepers before this winter ends!

Momof3Labs
02-02-2004, 02:21 PM
I don't understand this one either. But we STILL use cotton footed sleepers in the spring and fall, usually from the Gap outlet, Children's Place or occasionally Gymboree. I haven't bought a pair of Carter's PJs since Colin outgrew the 6-9 month size; I really don't like them in the bigger sizes!!

Oh, and gotta second the Children's Place for winter fleece PJs - they have the BEST, IMO, even better than Gap (for 3 times the price) and Lands End (for twice the price). They wash so much better, and don't have yucky plastic feet.

sntm
02-02-2004, 02:42 PM
LOL i forgot about the plastic feet kind! i used to wear those. they would make your feet all sweaty.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Kimberly H
02-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Joey,

Mia's 12-month Carter's blanket jammies are too short so I went to the Carter's outlet to find 18 month only to find they were told to "ship them out" to the resellers. Umm...okay. Not 12 month, not 6 month, and not boys, only girls 18 month.

I ended up getting The Children's Place outlet sleepers in 18 months which is too big so I have to go back tonight or tomorrow.

If you'd like for me to pick some up for your sweetie, I'd be more than happy to. They're currently $12.50 each or $30 for 3. Just let me know what size, color preference (though they were pretty picked over) and how many.

C99
02-02-2004, 11:07 PM
I know. It's 20 degrees here w/ snow, snow and more snow. And what is the in stores? shorts and tees!

I actually really like the footed PJs from K-Mart, of all places. The cotton ones marketed under Sesame Street labels and the poly fleece ones under Basic Edition labels. They actually run quite big, and are very soft and comfy.

Sarah1
02-02-2004, 11:26 PM
I know JUST what you mean--the kind you buy packaged at Target. They only go up to 9 months! It's so irritating...and IMO they run small!

Lands End makes GREAT fleece sleepers all the way up to 2T. Audrey has been living in hers (12-18 mo size) all winter.

Last time I was at BRU I also noticed Koala baby makes fleece sleepers (also w/feet) up to 24M. She has a few of those too.

Where we live (Chicago), we have GOT to keep her little feet covered. She knows how to pull off her socks, so that won't do.

SeekerMage
02-03-2004, 02:29 AM
Have you tried Target or Walmart....both carry carters brand under different labels. Im not sure about Target but I know walmart carrys the Child of Mine brand of Carters in large sized footy pjs., they even go up to toddler sizes. HTH.

miki
02-08-2004, 01:08 AM
Lands' End overstocks has cotton footed sleepers in size 12 for $4.99 right now. I bought one a while ago (at a higher price but it seemed a good deal at the time) in size 6 for my 90+ percentile baby and it's huge. The other clothes I got from them seem to be sized smaller than these footies. But the footies are really nice--soft cotton and the fabric is not thin.

s7714
02-08-2004, 02:56 AM
Just adding to the rant. I made the long drive out to the closest outlet mall on Friday in a search for pants and pj's for DD. Pants I found, but no PJ's in larger sizes. The Children's Place, Gap and Carters didn't even have more than a few PJ's left period. The only place that had any was the OshKosh store, but their cotton ones are pretty thin for cool nights.

I may be trying the mall on Monday :P ...If I would have know it would be this hard to find PJs in February, I would have stocked up on all sizes back in the fall!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03

barbarhow
02-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Girlfriend-you stole my bitch! I was headed to post the exact same thing but you beat me to it! We have a Carter's outlet here where I usually get DS' sleepers. Oh no. Nada. And the woman got really snotty with me-"well, you should have bought them last fall". I said-"Well this is Maine. Winter lasts until April."
I will try the Children's Place. I bought 2 2T sleepers for him that were irregulars-translation had holes in the back of them. I figured I could just sew them up. I was desperate-what a rip off, though. They still cost $5. I think I might return them. I also bought a two piecer but then when I put it on him last night realized I had to put socks on, too. Oh well. The jammies were pretty cute but they made me sad-he looks too much like a little boy in them.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

suribear
02-09-2004, 09:51 PM
I couldn't find knit tights (for me, that is) last week! It's only January. I really don't need a swimsuit!

Kris