PDA

View Full Version : Just sickened with what I just watched on TV!

winterwonderland
02-03-2004, 05:35 PM
I am just furious right now! I just finished watching a BBC program called “Gap, Nike: No Sweat?". It was all about child labor and sweat shops wherein both Nike and Gap claimed to have codes of conduct with the factories but the factories were not following the rules. When confronted with the information both seemed to try to blame the factories whom they have contracts. Both Nike and Gap claim that it is the factories responsibility but that they do monitor the factories and were working with the factory where BBC found the violations.

Nike agreed to pay for the under-aged girls to quit work and go to school while the girls would continue to receive their wage until they were of age. Then they would be welcomed back to work at the factory if they chose. Gap just fired them. Yes, the girls lied about their age to get the job but the factories did nothing to verify. One girl was 13 and her parents were very saddened that they sent her off to work but had no other choice. The girl earned $40 a week and all of it went to rent and food. The head hunter who recruited her charged her parents $80 to get her the job. Both Nike and Gap claim that it is the factories responsibility but that they do monitor the factories.

I knew about Nike having sweat shops but hadn’t heard about Gap. There is also an island off of China that is owned by the US. Gap has clothing made on this island and they claim that it is American made. Many of the workers are women who were recruited in China and they were forced to sign away most of their human rights in exchange for the factory moving them and giving them a job. There are many other manufacturers who have factories on this island who have already settled lawsuits for these violations but Gap is fighting them in court.

This whole matter is so sickening to me. I admit that I am a conservative and I believe in free trade. I DO NOT AGREE with child labor, sweat shops and slave labor! This is not what free trade means! Where can one go to find out which companies comply with international laws or are they all bad? Have we sunk so low that it is acceptable to look the other way just as long as we can buy clothing as cheaply as possible? For heavens sake, Nike is not cheap and neither is Gap for that matter so obviously someone is lining their pockets and it’s not the workers!!!!

aliceinwonderland
02-03-2004, 05:44 PM
I so hear you. This bothers me constantly...And if it wasn't for BBC, etc., we would never know.

These deplorable tactics are why I refuse to set foot in Walmart and Sams Club..."low, low prices" comes with a hefty price for someone else...

I probably unknowingly shop somewhere that has these practices too, just is better at hiding them. But everytime I find out, I make sure in the least not to shop there anymore.

Thanks for bringing this VERy important issue to our attention!

eri

Melanie
02-03-2004, 06:10 PM
"There is also an island off of China that is owned by the US. Gap has clothing made on this island and they claim that it is American made."

There's another place they do this, too...Northern Mariana Islands. They can say it's US made but the labor laws are different. I suspect those aren't the only two places.

The factories that were hiring the underaged girls for Gap/Nike, were they in the US?

winterwonderland
02-04-2004, 04:25 PM
No, none of the plants were in the US.

PJAlama
02-04-2004, 04:39 PM
unfortunately, letting companies exploit children & other vulnerable workers is what many national leaders have meant by "free trade." Bigwigs are free to line their pockets at the expense of workers.

MartiesMom2B
02-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Yes this is sad and sickening. But I'm sure that it's not just Nike, Gap, and Wal-mart or Sam's. I'm sure most of the clothes that you buy in a mall or at Target or at Wal-mart were made on slave wages or child labor. It's been widely reported on Dateline and other news programs that items made in the US territories can have a label that says made in the US. The territories don't have the same labor laws as there are in the US. US labor is expensive, that's why many factory jobs are going overseas. If Gap clothing was made in the US, it would probably be 3 times as expensive. For example, back in the stroller boards, when Stroller Queen was meeting the stroller makers she asked one company why their stroller was so expensive if it was made in Taiwan. The maker responded because the labor practices are better (I'm assuming more fair) in Taiwan.

In addition, little girls who are born in the US are among the luckiest in the world. Child labor is horrible - but if you looked on the flip side, what choices would those families have if the factories didn't hire them. It's in these countries that you'll also find mothers selling their girls into prostitution to feed the family. It's all very sad.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03