PDA

View Full Version : MIL IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!---LONG RANT

KMommie
02-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Okay, I just need to vent. I know that my MIL has DD's best interests at heart, I know that MIL is basically a good person.

Here's my latest... Kiki came down with a stomach virus last week Thursday. Thank you, day care! MIL graciously offered to watch Kiki this week, on the days that I worked. By Super Bowl Sunday, I felt that Kiki had turned the corner. The diarrhea was better (only 1 episode on Sunday), but she had been battling this awful diaper rash since the week before.

Monday, MIL watches her. I give her SPECIFIC written instructions on feeding, and diapering. I come to pick Kiki up, and she's had a relapse of diarrhea. MIL has ignored my instructions. Kiki's eaten two bowls of rice cereal, 5 bottles of formula and 1 bottle of Pedialyte---in 9 HOURS (with a 4 hour nap in there somehow!) MIL tells me to send over more baby food, she wants a jar of fruit and a jar of veggies to give Kiki the next day with the rice cereal! I'm up with Kiki til 3 am, she has diarrhea all night (what goes in, must come out), her diaper rash, of course is worse!

Tuesday, she goes to MIL's again. I "forget" to pack the jars, but have the cereal. She has diarrhea all day. When I get there to take Kiki home, Kiki is lying on her back with a bottle in her mouth. MIL KNOWS that she's supposed to feed Kiki sitting up, to help keep Kiki's ears clear. What the heck is she doing? I say that to her. She says, "Oh, I don't know." Then MIL tells me that I need to feed Kiki more solids, rice cereal isn't enough and that the diarrhea isn't diarrhea because, when you don't eat solids and only mostly liquids, your bms are supposed to be watery.

Today, she calls, she tells me that for Kiki to be sick with diarrhea for a week, is abnormal. Something has to be wrong. I keep telling her that the ped said Kiki has a sensitive gut, and that it takes time for it to heal. So, MIL says, no, something has to be wrong, and I should take Kiki to a different ped for a second opinion.

Does she always have to put in her two cents?

Thanks for letting me vent!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

redhookmom
02-06-2004, 12:59 AM
So sorry! Can your DH speak to her? Maybe tell her that the Ped. feels that DD is not getting better because of what she is eating. I know for my MIL what the Dr. says is like getting advice from the Gods.

I hope that your daughter is feeling better soon!

deborah_r
02-06-2004, 02:25 AM
Jeannie,

I'm so sorry - seems like she's always doing something to you. Recently I read your story about how she got Kiki to eat like 4 times as much as anyone else had been able to get her to eat and I was kind of worried for you, wondering what kind of tricks she might have used to try to get her to eat that much. She must have persuaded her somehow, and obviously if you had wanted to try coercing your daughter into eating you would have done it yourself! I know bacj when she was raising kids, people didn't hesitate to try to force babies to eat, or coerece them, which is generally not recommended today.

2 bowls of rice cereal, 5 bottles of formula and a bottle of pedialyte?? In 9 hours???? My god, how did she get her to take that much? You must have supreme amounts of patience to put up with her!!!

mom2kandj
02-06-2004, 03:40 AM
When are you guys moving??? (Not soon enough, huh?!?!?) Hopefully MIL doesn't tag along! My DH says that 275 miles is perfect for him and my parents! :P Close enough to visit 3-4x per year and then they visit 2-3x per year! I'm not so lucky as his mom lives 6 miles away and still complains about the drive!

As for MIL butting in, my MIL does it too! DD has her fair share of health issues and any major stresses or illnesses can require about 4 to 6 weeks for recovery. As Kiki gets older, grandma will hopefully learn to follow your directions as doing otherwise could land her in the emergency room with lots of invasive procedures! :( By the way, as Kiki had ear tubes yet? Just let MIL know that feeding DD on her back can land her in surgery, too!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

KMommie
02-06-2004, 03:01 PM
We'll be moving at the end of June. The house should be ready by then. :) Yep, but call me crazy, I might have to move in with them for about 6 weeks, WITHOUT DH there to be my buffer! They've offered to take us in, while DH goes out there on his own, before the house is done, and while I'm finishing out the school year. Okay, my new mantra shall be, 275 miles... 275 miles... :)

Oh my! I'll have to warn MIL about having to get ear tubes and stuff. The thing is, her other grandson had no issues when it came to food, so she doesn't understand why DD has them.

Deborah... my MIL actually CALLED the ped once! And told him he was WRONG, that his father (my DH's ped--so she knows him well), would NEVER have said x, y and z.

Thanks for the support guys! Would you believe, I'm taking Kiki over there again today? I have to get an emergency root canal and DH had to go to work. :( DH told me to just take one bottle of formula with us, and have her call him, if she needs more, he'd run it over. I really should be more grateful that MIL will watch Kiki, but it's hard when I feel like I'm putting Kiki at risk each time.

Jeannie
Kmommie

deborah_r
02-06-2004, 09:53 PM
I missed this - where are you moving to???

Kai and I must meet you and Kiki before you move away!!!

Sarah1
02-07-2004, 12:57 PM
OMG JEANNIE...I *totally* feel for you since Audrey has been sick w/diarrhea for the last day and a half. She's never had it before, AND IT IS THE WORST!!!!!! There is NO GOOD WAY to clean up diarrhea, especially when it runs all the way down their legs--her little thighs are just RAW from all the acid...anyway, enough of MY rant, back to your annoying MIL--I would BE ABSOLUTELY LIVID if my MIL was putting all that into her and not following my instructions...ARRRRGHHHHH!

So, from one mom whose kid has diarrhea to another, i feel for yoU! I hope Kiki gets better REALLY soon! Here's hoping for some nice hard stools :)

Melanie
02-10-2004, 12:47 AM
Oh goodness. Poor little one.