PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Countrywide Home Loans aaaaaaaarrrgh! (long long long)

aguinn
02-09-2004, 09:47 PM
i am so steamed! DH and i bought a house at the end of last september. the mortgage company (co#1) we originally got our loan through immediately sold our loan to co#2. in november, we got a letter telling us that co#2 had sold our loan to countrywide home loans (CW), and effective december 1, they were no longer accepting payment on our loan and provided information on where to send our loan to CW. ok, no problem. so i send a check. Fifteen days later the check is returned by CW as "unidentifed" since there is no account associated with it. so after waiting for their customer service to open (they operate M-F pacific time - i'm on the east coast - who still does this in today's global market???), i get someone on the line who tells me that they have no record of the sale, as far as they are concerned they do not own my loan and i should call back in a few weeks.

interesting. so, two weeks later i call back, nervous that i have not made a loan payment in month. they tell me the same thing - no record of the loan, call back next week, etc. so now i'm putting money into a savings account to make sure that when CW gets their heads out of their butts and has our loan info, the money will be there to make the payment.

SIX WEEKS and several phone calls later, CW finally has my loan information. GREAT! ABOUT TIME! customer service tells me that i owe two months loan payment. okay – that’s what i expected. o, and i also owe two months’ LATE FEES for not paying my loan payments on time. excuse me? oh, she says, let me cancel that out – you should not have to pay that. no kidding. so i send in payment and all seems well.

a few days later i get my city tax bill. i call CW to make sure they know they are supposed to pay it out of our escrow. they have no record of it (shocking) and we go back and forth about whether or not they or co#2 are responsible to pay it. they finally realize that they have the escrow, so they should pay. great, all is well.

until today, when i called the city to make sure our taxes were paid and the tax collector tells me it has not been paid and now there are late fees. WTF? so i call CW. the first customer service person tells me that she sees the entry where i called the first time to request they pay, but the person who took that call never followed-up to make the payment, so it wasn't paid (duh). she puts me through to their tax department where the next customer service person tells me that her computer doesn't show that i requested any taxes to be paid. ok, so now i'm a liar? she tells me she doesn't like my attitude and that it's not helping the situation and she doesn't care what happened before. OMG! if i could've reached through the phone and strangled her, oh how happy i would've been!

through clenched teeth i give her the details, she says she'll pay the bill tomorrow and send me a letter detailing what's been done. when we are through i ask to speak to her supervisor and she says there's no reason for that, we've completed our business and HANGS UP THE PHONE ON ME!

i am in the process of writing a letter to CW, the better business bureau, the commissioner of corporations and commissioner of banks & lenders. if you can think of anyone else who should hear about this, let me know - i am on the warpath!

if you've made it this far, you are a fantastic listener (reader)!
thanks,
amy

Melanie
02-10-2004, 12:41 AM
See your email.... LOL

(edited to add...I don't mean to laugh at your problem...just the coincidence of the situation).

sbaker
02-10-2004, 01:26 AM
Welcome to the Land of Unhappy Countrywide Customers! We started having problems with them in 2002. They "forgot" to pay our taxes before 12/31. After 6 months of phone calls arguing with them they finally paid the taxes. Of course they overpaid them, but hey who's keeping track? It's only OUR money after all. Since we were more than halfway through 2003 I decided to give them another chance at doing things correctly. My mistake. Well, they actually paid our taxes before 12/31 this time, but they paid one of the three bills twice. They won't refund the overpayment and the tax collector says they don't have a record of it. ARRRGGGGHHHH! So as of this month we requested that Countrywide no longer escrow our tax and insurance money. They have refunded the balance of our escrow account and I am setting up an monthly automatic draft from our checking account to our savings account to cover the amounts needed to pay our taxes and insurance. Now they can't screw it up!

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to:
Rayce 02/09/02
Charlye 12/20/03

amp
02-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Oh great...lots of unhappy Countrywide customers. Or mortgage got sold to them last year. We haven't had any problems yet...knock on wood. Hope it stays that way. We had a major problem with another company a couple years ago and I would rather not repeat that!

kathsmom
02-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Amy,

I am so sorry that you have been through all of this! Thank you for the warning about Countrywide! When we were trying to refinance our home last year, DH found out about Countrywide Mortgage. He contacted them and gave them all of our information. The lady was really nice and promised to send the paperwork. We were looking forward to working with them, because of how nice the lady was and the low interest rate. We never got anything from them. At the time we were a little ticked off, but after reading your horror story and the other posters, I consider it to be a blessing in disguise.

I hope it gets straightened out soon! Take care!

McQ
02-10-2004, 12:48 PM
I too would be through the roof. No advice here, just got get 'em!!!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

Melanie
02-11-2004, 02:20 AM
Toni, FWIW, their rates aren't the best anyway. We've had good luck with ditech, their fees seem really low and the notary comes to you on your schedule...