PDA

View Full Version : I was traumatized at Wal-Mart yesterday

farsk
02-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Hello Everyone!

I was at Wal-Mart yesterday trying to get some digital pics of my sweet Ellen printed when I ran into a friend and we struck up a conversation. All of a sudden, we heard this bloody-murder screaming coming from our vicinity. At first I thought it was some kid throwing a tanturm, then I though some kid was being kidnapped. I'm talking bloody murder terror screaming. Then my friend asked, "Oh my gosh, is that someone getting their ears pierced?" I looked over to the jewelry section where I saw a woman physically restraining a little BOY, what I guess to be around 3 or 4 years old. I said, "no, it couldn't be...it's a little boy". It was like watching a train wreck....this woman restraining this little boy while he's screaming and crying, and I was powerless to do anything to help. Sure enough, this woman was piercing this little BOY'S ear.

I was physically sick after this episode.

No flames about baby ear piercing, please. I simply take issue with a parent putting a child through this unnecessary event when the child so clearly didn't want it done. I understand if he had wanted it done (in as much as a three year old can consent), sat there while it was being done, and then cried because it hurt. But if you have to physically restrain this child....lay off.

Just my two cents.

toomanystrollers
02-11-2004, 06:27 PM
Yikes, was it the Walmart employee restraining the little boy or his mother?

farsk
02-11-2004, 06:28 PM
I guess it was the child's mother.

amp
02-11-2004, 07:08 PM
Ack! What is wrong with people?

sarahfran
02-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Here's what I don't get... if you were this woman's neighbor and you heard screaming like that, went over to investigate, and saw her physically restraining her child and inflicting pain on him with a needle, cigarette butt, whatever, I think you'd have a fair case for calling child protective services--or at least for being very, very concerned. But because this was something she did for vanity's sake, society thinks this is acceptable??

Crazy. Frankly, I think WalMart should be slapped for providing this service for a child so young.

I am horrified just reading about the incident. I can't imagine how hard it is for you to hear that screaming in your memory!
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

Motherhood is such a joy!

Sarah1
02-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Shannon, I could not agree with you MORE. Sometimes I truly wonder about people. And I don't care if I get flamed for it, but I think piercing a baby's ears is ridiculous in the first place!

pritchettzoo
02-12-2004, 12:05 AM
That poor little guy. I thought man-earrings were passe...

Well, at least he can say he had his ears pierced in a boutique (see thread in Layette section)! ;)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

sntm
02-12-2004, 11:19 AM
how awful!!! that's my main reason for not going to Walmart anymore -- everytime i do i see things that make me nauseated.

and i have to agree that i don't really understand baby ear piercing. we struggled over the whole circumcision issue and that was with pain control medications.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Melanie
02-12-2004, 07:19 PM
That's exactly what I have against the piercing of a young-child.

Anyway, I worked with a gal who used to pierce ears at a place in the mall and she said there was some religion where they got both boy's ears pierced like a rite of passage, she'd done a bunch of them. We could never figure out what it was, though.

(edited for clarity)

votre_ami03
02-12-2004, 07:54 PM
I can't imagine a 3 yo asking for an earing! Yikes.

I have lots of rings in my ear (teenage punk rocker) & I cried at 8 when my mom made me get my ears pierce, although she swears it was my choice. *lol*

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03