PDA

View Full Version : Jeremiah has a peanut allergy!!!:(

smkinc
02-12-2004, 01:38 AM
I don't post here often, but J. had a rash after being fed a cracker by a administrative assistant at DH's work. We called the Dr. and he had a blood test and is positive for a peanut allergy. We have an appointment with an allergist and dietician next week. We have our epi-pen that we now need to carry everywhere we go.

I just had to vent--I don't really want to deal with this for the rest of his life! I have visions of trading snacks with kids at school, eating an m&m that's exposed to nuts in the factory....and then the worst.

I AM glad that we found out in a relatively un-traumatic way, though.

Mary
Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03
and our 'first' Curie (6 year old Golden Retriever)

mharling
02-12-2004, 01:45 AM
I am so sorry and understand why you want to vent. I have a cousin with a peanut allergy and still have images of my aunt throwing herself across the room to grab a peanut butter cookie from him. And good for you for seeing the positive of not discovering it in a traumatic way. :)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2303.jpg Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b346cc5b6556 - New pics 1/26

luvbeinmama
02-12-2004, 03:14 AM
Be sure to tell them when you enroll your child in any class or preschool/school. Peanut allergies can be life threatening in some cases (I don't know how bad your son is). There are 5 kids with peanut allergies at my son's preschool, and the entire school is nut-free this year because of that. Even Park & Rec classes sometimes have snacks, and they need to know to read the labels closely. Give them a fact sheet on peanut allergies to make sure they understand the severity of the situation. (Not everyone knows how severe this allergy can be). AND... most importantly... teach your son to question all foods before he eats it. He will learn not to trade food if you tell him all the time. Keep reminding him every time. My son is sensitive to cows milk and he knows it. So he isn't even the least bit interested in trying things with real milk. Eating pizza in front of him doesn't even phase him, because he's used to it. And it's not even a serious allergy. It's pretty mild as they go. HTH!

Good Luck!

AngelaS
02-12-2004, 08:20 AM
Peanut allergies are serious and need to be treated that way. My nephew has has two reactions and the allergist told them the very next one could be the one that sends him into anaphlaxis. Scary!

My sister is EXTREMELY diligent about what her son eats, what's in their house (their entire house is peanut free!) and in teaching those he's around how to feed him and what the signs of a reaction are. He even has a tag on his bag that says: if you see me having any of these symptoms, do X as you could save my life! They discovered my nephew's allergies at about age 1 and at age 8, he's only had the two original reactions!

She joined the food allery network (they have a website) and I know that was a HUGE resource for her. They have a newsletter, books for kids (to read to her son and to read to his class at the beginning of every school year), paperwork to show his teachers and supplies, like a little 'belt bag' to carry his EpiPen in.

Write down all the questions you have for your allergist ahead of time. Hopefully he will be a great resource for you! (((HUGS)))

sntm
02-12-2004, 11:23 AM
((((mary)))) and ((((jeremiah))))

food allergies do suck, especially peanut allergies. but, as you said, better to find out now in a way that did not involve him losing his airway.

Also, a good warning to everyone to be careful about what other people may try to feed your child!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

smkinc
02-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and tips! I will definitely check into the food allergy network as it sounds like a great resource.

We've started calling him "Mr. No-Peanut", maybe the nickname will stick and will be a reminder to avoid peanuts :).

Mary