PDA

View Full Version : Can we debate the merits of this article politely? :)

toomanystrollers
02-20-2004, 09:53 PM
I am honestly looking for opinions, to educate myself and not to stir things up. As stated before on other threads, my kids are/were breastfed and have had formula. I recall reading about potential toxins in breast milk and pulled up an article that perhaps we could discuss and since this forum has developed such a following, here goes:

"Toxins in Breast Milk:
Studies Explore Impact Of Chemicals on Our Bodies"

http://www.mindfully.org/Health/2004/Biomonitoring-Breast-Milk20jan04.htm

Thanks mamas!

egoldber
02-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Hmmm. I guess I found little to debate from the article (which I had read about in the Washington Post awhile ago). Even though toxins have been found in people's bodies (including breastmilk), the levels were not high enough for the CDC to be concerned about the exposure of infants and continue to recommend breastfeeding.

The unfortunate fact is that our environment is no longer clean and pristine. We are all exposed in lots of different ways to the waste products that have been placed in the environment. There isn't any real way to avoid it, although you can try and minimize your exposure and the article suggested some ways to do that.

houseof3boys
02-20-2004, 10:09 PM
I remember reading that article and thinking about what I was consuming and exposing myself to that could be passed through my milk to my little muffin Ryan. As Beth said, the world is certainly not the clean pristine place it should be so we are exposed to so much junk that is unavoidable. I just try to avoid what I can (limit canned tuna, sadly limiting salmon to once a month versus 3 times a week before the recent article, no environmental pollutants, et cetera) so that it avoids Ryan as long as possible.

It is scary to think about, but it is part of our reality now that there are so many toxins around us.

Rachels
02-20-2004, 10:10 PM
Debate politely? :) Not to belabor a point, but I sadly think that may not be possible here. Not because of politeness, exactly, but because in matters related to bf, it's only okay to share the comfortable facts. It's one of the only areas of parenting where talking about risks seems to be unacceptable. So this response is not at all intended to take part in any debate:

Seriously, though, Pam, you might ask about this on MDC. I remember when these articles first came out, there was a whole thing about it, and there were some really knowledgeable people posting. The gist was, I think, that toxins passing into breastmilk are plenty scary, but that 1) the benefits outweighed that risk, and 2) the toxins were getting to the babies environmentally, anyway. But I remember there were some ideas about how to avoid or minimize that. So that might be a good place for you to get answers about this.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

momathome
02-20-2004, 10:21 PM
Did you get my pm???
-Lauren

toomanystrollers
02-20-2004, 10:22 PM
To me, it seems everywhere I turn there's something else to be concerned or think about - from tuna fish to teflon pans. I can relate to the phrase "ignorance is bliss" :)

MartiesMom2B
02-20-2004, 10:24 PM
What can I say? It seems like everything I do will give me cancer, unless you put me in a bubble and shoot me up to the moon. I'm sure moon dust gives you cancer too. As Deb and Beth said the world is not so clean anymore.

I was both breastfed and formula fed. I'm sure that I both have cancer causing toxins from breastmilk and cancer causing particles from inferior 1970s formula (because I'm sure that formula is made 20 billion times better now). I don't have time to worry about that, if I do I'll go to the looney bin. Don't forget that stress is a major factor in heart disease.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

toomanystrollers
02-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Thanks Rachel - I'll dig through the archives.

I tend to lurk over at MDC and get my diapering fix there, but sometimes issues, IMO, tend to be more one-sided there and I believe I get a more well-rounded experience here.

Rachels
02-20-2004, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I agree about MDC, usually. But dig around. I remember the posts, and there were some people who really understood the biochemistry of it, which I do not. It wasn't just the usual cheerleading (although I sometimes do like that, too), but people really backing stuff up with facts and knowledge. I respect that, anyway, but it was really informative.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Melanie
02-20-2004, 11:44 PM
I haven't read that article but I remember when that info hit the newstands. I believe in the last Mothering magazine there was article written by the woman (researcher? MD?) who publicized the information.

The only reason it focuses on breastmilk is because urine or blood would not be an accurate substance to test for toxins. Apparently the only thing comparable would be tissue sampling.

So, it's focus was not to be breastmilk and should or shouldn't you, it was more "look what crap is in our bodies, let's do something about it!"

...and, in the article in Mothering the woman said the way she tried to convey that was by breastfeeding her baby at all the press conferences/interviews.

(I'm going to try to read the link, later, though...I have a feeling Dh is about to come in to tell me my Ds-free PC time is about up tonight!)

stillplayswithbarbies
02-20-2004, 11:57 PM
the article is not about breastfeeding, it is about the toxins in our food supply. Breastmilk is just a way to test for them, because they are stored in fat. (can they test the fat they take out in liposuctions, I wonder?)

the whole point of the article was missed by the media. It wasn't supposed to be "oh no our breastmilk is poison, let's not feed it to babies" it was supposed to be "oh no the food we all eat is poisoned, let's ban the fire retardants that other countries have already banned".

So, do we want to discuss whether fire retardants and other chemicals should be banned in this country?

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

aliceinwonderland
02-21-2004, 12:56 AM
I VERY much want to discuss that, I'm so glad you bring up the question. It's been on mymind a LOT lately...: What is the deal with EVERYTHING being sprayed with flame-retardant chemicals...The idea of my baby's clothes coated with a chemical gives me the creeps...I mean, at least in clothes one has some choice, but what about their little mattreses, the furniture, etc...There must be a strong lobby somewhere, as I sure as heck don't see the need for this...Especially as MOST other countries have long banned this stuff. I guess my annoyance is at lack of choce: I can choose to spend twice as much on organic milk if I CHOOSE to, but can I go to the store and ask for non-flame-retardant couch???

Off my soap box...sorry guys :)

eri and bean due in April(whose mom has been airing out his mattress for a month already)

Melanie
02-21-2004, 01:42 AM
Oh the mattresses...I didn't realize they were coated, too?

I definitely avoid the coated clothing.

toomanystrollers
02-21-2004, 04:56 AM
The "Dateline" special on teflon went onto show that everyone in the U.S. (yes, everyone) has traces of the Dupont product in their blood - not to mention that the fumes from teflon can killed pet birds.

lizajane
02-21-2004, 03:41 PM
and THANK GOODNESS i don't have a pet bird, because i burned the heck outta my teflon coated calphalon pan (THANK GOODNESS TWICE that schuyler was asleep waaaaaaaaaay upstairs when i did it) and i am now freaked out by my calphalon which i otherwise love love love.

(do you like how that was all one sentence? :) )

Melanie
02-21-2004, 05:29 PM
NNNOOOOOOOO! Don't tell me there is somethign wrong with my calphalon? THey were a HUGE splurge a few years ago....

momma_boo
02-23-2004, 12:00 PM
>The "Dateline" special on teflon went onto show that everyone
>in the U.S. (yes, everyone) has traces of the Dupont product
>in their blood - not to mention that the fumes from teflon can
>killed pet birds.

FYI - we do have a pet bird (actually it's DH's blue & gold macaw) so no non-stick pans in our house at all. It's pretty well known among bird folks that teflon is BAD BAD BAD. When the pans are heated to high temperatures, they give off fumes that kill birds. I always encourage friends not to get non-stick pans b/c of this. I would tell them that if it kills birds, it can't be too good for us, right? I think the studies coming out are showing that I might be correct. I heard that there was one study showing that people had the chemicals in their blood. Eek.