PDA

View Full Version : Are all OB/GYN appt scheduling as obnoxious as this?

peanut4us
02-23-2004, 12:51 PM
Grrr> Sheesh. I got a "reminder" card in the mail about a week ago to make my yearly check up appt. I called this morning to make it. Technically, I don't need it until June, but I run out of my birth control prescription in Mid May... so I wanted a May appt... um, they have NOTHING until July! and late July. Um, hello it is Feb 23? I'm a returning patient, not new.

So they made the appt and let me leave a voice mail for the nurse's phone answerer (no, I'm not kidding) so I could get my prescription extended. Grrr. Is everyone's office like this?

aliceinwonderland
02-23-2004, 01:05 PM
My former office (before getting pregnant) is very similar to what you describe...That combined with other inconveniences makes me not want to go there post baby.
But I don't know if this is standart practice, or I'm just high maintenance. My OB now that's following my pregnancy has his own small practice, and very different, friendly methods...

eri and the bean :)

egoldber
02-23-2004, 02:11 PM
My OB practice is like this too. They want you to schedule a year in advance for your regular exam. I think its because they have to save so many appointment slots for the pregnancy exams.

Rachels
02-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Yep, mine used to be. Now I see midwives for well-woman care, and it's soooo much better. I get appointments in decent time and they spend at least 30 minutes with me. It might be someting to consider. My health is definitely being looked after more completely now.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sweetbasil
02-23-2004, 02:51 PM
When this happens, my OB/GYN will always call in an extended script until my appointment. What a mess though- do they not want your copay or what? ;)

suribear
02-23-2004, 02:54 PM
Rachel, I had midwives for prenatal care. I didn't know I could have them for routine care. Is this standard practice? Unfortunately our new insurance plan doesn't allow me to go outside this one practice, so I'm stuck for now.

Kris

bnme
02-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Hmm, do we have the same OB??????

Mine also will do anything, including reprimanding you, to get you out of getting the prescription refilled --even if they don't have any appts prior to your script running out!! They will do it, but not without giving attitude. Lovely.

They are not my OB anymore, but not just because of this. But this coupled with other issues I faced due to it being such a large practice made me switch to a partnership for baby #2.

Rachels
02-23-2004, 04:40 PM
It is standard practice, but not well-publicized in this country. But they're qualified to handle all aspects of routine well-woman GYN care, including pap smears, birth control stuff, etc.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

trumansmom
02-23-2004, 05:43 PM
I actually get notices to remind me to schedule my annual exam 10 months in advance. However, I'm very happy to have the doc I have, and consider it a minor inconvenience. Prenatal appointments are VERY easy to get, thankfully.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

toomanystrollers
02-23-2004, 05:47 PM
When I had to go to an HMO center (insurance reasons ofcourse), yes - the appointments for my annual pap/checkup were booked out months in an advance.

I now go to a midwife practice for all my ob/gyn care as well. So much friendly, cozier - and it's an all female practice to boot :)

mamahill
02-23-2004, 06:14 PM
I just recently called to make my appointment, and they weren't going to see me until the end of March since last year's appointment was the middle of March and something about insurance companies only allowing 1 appointment in a year... but because this is what happened last year (having to extend the rx and THEN see the doc), to do it again this year would mean extending my rx 2 months. Anyway, the nurse asked, "You don't have new insurance, by any chance, do you?" Why yes I do, and they movied my appointment up 3 weeks.

But I go to a Family Practice doctor and the nurses know me by name (no, I am NOT in there than often;) ), so that helps. Good luck - as if the exam isn't "fun" enough...

C99
02-23-2004, 11:14 PM
My practice isn't -- I can usually get in to see them for my bi-annual c/u within a month or two of calling the office. However, my OB/GYN's office stinks at sending out the reminder cards so I have to keep on top of it.

phirey
02-24-2004, 12:08 AM
Well, I'm a little biased, but our office isn't like that. I work in a six-MD, one-NP, and one-PA (me!) office. You can usually get an annual with me, the NP and a couple of our docs within a week. One of our docs does book out way in advance. She grew up in the area and now all the locals she knew in high school come see her. But we try to keep a certain number of annual slots open for each of our providers.

And FWIW, as a PA, I'm very similar to a midwife in function, though not in training. Midlevels are perfectly suited for annuals and well-checks. So if your practice has one, try her!

And the comment about insurance and annuals is true. As of October 1, most insurance companies want a space of one year AND TWO DAYS between Pap smears! I cannot tell you how many people that screws up because they call to schedule their annual sometime around their "date." Then they get in and we discover that insurance won't pay for the Pap! AAAAAARUGH!

HTH,

smkinc
02-24-2004, 04:02 AM
I love my OB/GYN, but I have to schedule my annual about 4 months in advance (no reminder cards). When I made the appt., I did ask to be on a waiting list and was called a month later for an appointment. You might want to try that to speed up your appt.

HTH,
Mary

jmofarrill
02-25-2004, 11:44 AM
I have a Nurse Practitioner (Physician's Assistant? I can't remember the title...) at my OB/GYN office that I like to see instead of the OB. She's also a midwife and does my well-woman visits, prescribes my bc, and did most of my pre-natal care. If she had been on duty at the hospital when I had Anwyn, she would have delivered Anwyn, too! LOL

TaChapm2
02-25-2004, 05:21 PM
I haven't had a problem getting in with my OB/GYN. Usually within a week I am able to get an appointment.
Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

crl
02-27-2004, 10:26 AM
I had this problem and others with a well-respected, very busy practice in my area. I finally got fed up and switched.

I now go to a practice where they will see me within a week or two when I call for an annual--I see a PA. Also, they hold open same day appointments for "emergency" visits. They actually saw me as a new patient on the same day--before my old practice had returned my call!

So glad I switched.

sbjf
02-28-2004, 10:59 PM
Before I was pregnant I was stuggling with infertility, for about 2 years. Well, everytime, EVERYTIME, I called their office to speak to a nurse the receptionist would ask "Are you pregnant?", OMG, it about killed me each and every time. I began asking for the GYNECOLOGICAL NURSE in an attempt to avoid the question, but it didn't help, she still asked "Are you pregnant?"...NO, DAMN IT, NOT YET! One time I did break down an began crying right on the phone.

I had been working closely with my gyno at the time, he was trying clomid and metformin with me before I got referred to the RE, so I did have to call there quite a bit, and so it was very depressing.

Ahh, bitching feels REALLY good.