PDA

View Full Version : Tired of hearing my friends brag about their babies' sleep.....

jerseygirl07067
02-28-2004, 01:40 AM
I am actually somewhat frustrated. I was out to dinner a few nights ago with some close friends and some friends of friends. Most of them were moms, a few to two or three kids. . Anyway, I modestly commented (after being asked) of that DD had been starting to sleep 6-7 hours continuously at night, which I actually thought was pretty darn good, considering she is only 9 1/2 weeks old. I will also add that she is exclusively BF'd. Then I was asked where she was sleeping, and I said that she sleeps in the PNP but we are gradually transitioning her to her crib. All in all, I think we're doing pretty good.

Well all of the sudden everyone was taking turns about the way they did things with their baby and one mom even said that her baby was sleeping eight hours at night (in the crib) by the time she was three weeks old. This person tends to be a very opinionated person to start with so hearing this sort of grated my nerves. What made it worse was that everyone at the table said, "Oooh, you're so good. What a great mom you are, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah".

What I would like to know is - is this even possible or HEALTHY for a three week old? I was wondering if the truth was stretched a bit. Ironically, I DID read Babywise, among several other sleep books and it did not work for DD as she could never put herself to sleep on her own at first and needed a lot of help. I will say that I am following the flexible feeding routine recommended and that part of it has worked nicely for us as DD is gaining weight rapidly and thriving. But it bothered when people said, "Oh I rocked my daughter to sleep and maybe I shouldn't have, etc,etc." Others seemed to put down or express regret for giving their babies a little bit of extra coddling early on, after hearing this person carry on and brag. The bottom line is that their babies all wound up sleeping well, it just took a bit longer. And this opinionated person just sat there gloating over her success.

I tried to explain to the group IMHO that not all babies are the same, and different things work for different babies. Also, I drove myself crazy reading all of these different sleep books early on, just to have DD not be able to put herself to sleep on her own and throw off the whole thing. So I said, screw it, abandoned the books, and found that I totally enjoyed my baby more, after I gave up on trying to get her into a schedule so soon. Ironically, she is falling into a good one on her own now (eat, activity, sleep, with good naps and nighttime sleep). And I think that's pretty darn good!!

So why is it that people judge moms on how fast their baby starts to sleep through the night? It's almost like this person insinuated that we were not good parents if we didn't schedule our kids right off the bat. I realize that this works for some babies, but man, I surely enjoyed my DD once I took that pressure off!!

Ok, I know this sounds caddy. And I am not normally like this but just wanted to vent!! Anyone else have thoughts on this??

Mary

deborah_r
02-28-2004, 02:53 AM
It seems to me at 3 weeks I was told by ped and LC not to let DS go that long without eating. I think 5 hours was the max, I let him go 6 hours one time I think. You would barely be able to get in 7-8 BF sessions if your baby slept 8 hours at night and you are supposed to get in 8-12 at that age. When I told the LC I was doing about 8, she said to try to get closer to 12 than 8.

It sounds like you are doing great - just have confidence in your decisions and know you are doing things your way. I try not to get into in depth conversations about that kind of stuff with other moms/parents, unless I know I am talking to a like-minded person or at least someone who isn't a know-it-all, because I know it will just irritate me! But I know in a large group like that it is hard to avoid...

I guess some babies can fall asleep on their own that early and some can sleep through the night that early, but I KNOW my DS could not have. No way, no how. Maybe she just had an easy baby. Or maybe she's lying through her teeth!!!

muskiesusan
02-28-2004, 09:50 AM
I my experience, I have discovered that many people stretch the truth when talking about how their baby sleeps or they just have a blurred/embellished memory of the whole newborn faze. In fact, I was just visiting a friend whose husband was bragging to the whole town their 4 week old baby was sleeping through the night. My friend said once he slept for 6 hours, but for the most part, he is up every 3 hours or so.

People can get very competitive and defensive when talking about baby care issues. It like if do something different then you are implying they are a bad parent, which is just absurd. For the most part I try to avoid the subject with all but a few close friends.

I think you are doing great. I wished Nick slept that well at your baby's age!!!!!

Susan
Mom to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

lisaE
02-28-2004, 04:23 PM
I am so with you. Read my post (vent) from a few days ago. It's similar to yours, and I got some excellent responses on how to deal with these kinds of people.

You are doing a great job! I am totally envious that you are getting 6-7 hours sleep at a stretch. Also I applaud you for doing what is best for your baby right now, which is giving her what she needs!

COElizabeth
02-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Mary,

It sounds like your baby is doing great. I would have loved it if my DS slept so well at that age - or heck, even at a year! But I agree that we parents are a lot happier when we realize that different babies have different sleeping patterns. Sure, there are some things you can do to influence them, but the babies have a lot more say than the parents in these matters. :)

I honestly don't think I did anything different from what my sister did in the early months, and her kids have always slept much more soundly and for longer periods of time than my son. When I have been with friends who brag about their sleep training and tell me "You HAVE to let him cry" (all night if necessary), I just change the subject or ignore them.

To be catty myself, it sounds like that friend is the type of person who will really be thrown for a loop when her baby suddenly develops sleep problems during an illness or teething. Those of us who can never count on a good night's sleep are a little better able to take it in stride, or so I like to think!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

jerseygirl07067
02-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks for your support. I am going to read your other post :)

Mary

jerseygirl07067
02-28-2004, 06:18 PM
Ironically, I have a relative whose milk dried up early. Yes, her baby was an awesome sleeper but she failed to wake her baby up for feedings and therefore jeopardized the breastfeeding.

Mary

jerseygirl07067
02-28-2004, 06:21 PM
The other thing I wonder is if this person will look back with any regret. I mean, they grow up sooo fast and I really want to just enjoy this whole experience!! The bonding and trust that develops to me is irreplacable!

Mary

momma_boo
03-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Mary,

Ignore them. You are doing a GREAT job. Actually, I think it's awesome that you DD is sleeping so well (I think) at such an early age.

I was one of those people that just let the baby fall into her own routine and she's doing fine. At 11 mos, she is starting to sleep from 9pm to 6-7 am w/o waking (4 nights out of the last 7, whoo hoo!) which is nice, but I never stressed about the 3 am feeding and now she's dropping it on her own.

Plus, I bet this lady's definition of "sleeping through the night" is different than yours. Someone I spoke to once defined it as sleeping from start to finish w/o fully waking up -- so a feeding didn't count as being awake since the baby wasn't playing or active. I always figured it was sleeping w/o any interruptions.

lynettefrancois
03-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Mary- you are right to do what's best for you and your baby (which is different for every family!). Try to feel SORRY for the people who just don't get it- it's certainly a better feeling than letting them irritate you out of their own ignorance, KWIM? ;)

Vajrastorm
03-01-2004, 08:20 PM
People are weird about babies and sleep in the U.S. It is something of a national obsession. Some babies are sleepers. Some aren't. It isn't a measure of parenting skill.

lerlerler
03-01-2004, 09:18 PM
the reply (ONLY to the judgemental types)

"oh, I feel so badly for you! You miss the snuggles in the middle of the night AND then you have to worry about her getting enough food"

Melanie
03-02-2004, 04:44 AM
May I make you feel better? My son is over two YEARS old and has just very recently begun to sleep in stretches of 8 hours (knock on wood!). And yes, I'm a GOOD parent. LOL. SO ARE YOU!

Frankly, I think some people (not pointing fingers here, thinking of people I've talked to IRL), feel guilty for the lengths that they went to get get their children to sleep long stretches, so therefore they must try to convince you that there way is the best and only way to go. Sort of like they're recruiting you or something. Whatever. Kids sleep, kids don't sleep. As long as their happy and you are happy with them that is what matters.

Melanie
03-02-2004, 04:46 AM
> Some babies are sleepers.
>Some aren't. It isn't a measure of parenting skill.

Okay, that is a QUOTEABLE QUOTE if I've ever seen one. I need to print that and put it above every newborn parent's bed.

Melanie
03-02-2004, 04:46 AM
>the reply (ONLY to the judgemental types)
>
>"oh, I feel so badly for you! You miss the snuggles in the
>middle of the night AND then you have to worry about her
>getting enough food"

*snicker*

nice one

drsweetie
03-02-2004, 09:38 AM
>To be catty myself, it sounds like that friend is the type of
>person who will really be thrown for a loop when her baby
>suddenly develops sleep problems during an illness or
>teething. Those of us who can never count on a good night's
>sleep are a little better able to take it in stride, or so I
>like to think!

Being one of those moms with a "good sleeper", I can say that this is true -- we're so used to Laura sleeping through the night that any disruption in that completely wrecks all of us (although I must point out that I never discuss Laura's nighttime sleep habits without profuse expressions of gratitude to TPTB and the acknowledgement that it could end at any time, so I don't think there's karmic retribution involved). It doesn't help that she barely naps during the day, so if she doesn't sleep well at night then we're all going to be awake and cranky for a while. :-(

Ellen
Mom to Laura 6/9/03