PDA

View Full Version : Any other parents of newly mobile babies...

deborah_r
03-02-2004, 11:40 PM
ready to LOSE it?????????? He's everywhere, he's in everything, all the time!!! He doesn't want to sleep. He was literally climbing the wall at the head of our bed last night WHILE asleep - he had fallen asleep a few minutes before but just couldn't stop going!!! Each nap today took 45 minutes to an hour for him to fall asleep.

He just played splish splash in the dog's water bowl and then dunked his head in it(I was right there...and I truly can't figure out how to water proof that without the dog dying of thirst) Then I left the pantry door open and he went in and tipped the garbage over.

This is like the newborn phase, in that I read all about it and have heard a million stories - but I still am not ready! Who is this little tornado tearing up my house and trying to kill himself at least once every 5 minutes?!? Where is my sweet baby?

Thank God I got him hooked on Baby Einstein DVDs, because that's giving me 10 minutes of peace and rest right now!

COElizabeth
03-02-2004, 11:51 PM
LOL! Yes, that sounds like James!

As for the water dish, you could put your dog on a "drinking schedule" and set out the water dish for a limited amount of time several times a day plus at night when DS is asleep. I have noticed that dogs sometimes develop somewhat of a drinking schedule even when they have access to water all the time. They sometimes wait until you get home so they have less time to "hold it," for example. I don't think there's be any harm at all in doing this, as long as you remember to "water" him regularly!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

flagger
03-03-2004, 12:02 AM
Deborah,

My three girls drink water generally only at night. And they tank up and then have to potty every few minutes it seems. Other than that, the bowl usually stays up on the counter unless it is empty. We have a big 5qt bowl too.

I am of the school of thought of either saying stop which I know some parents are against, or letting Cocoa safely suffer the consequences of her actions. If she pulls over the trash on herself a couple of times and it hurts, I reason she will learn by association not to do that anymore.

Sort of like fire hot do not touch.

nathansmom
03-03-2004, 01:44 AM
I've already lost it. My child is in love with dog/cat food and their water. The toilet is another favorite spot. Today I've rescued almost every remote from water along with the phone. I've also picked up the pet food at least 10 times. Somehow I've got to convince dh to make the animals eat on a schedule. The garabge can is also a favorite. At least yours will watch tv, my bad influence of no tv has rubbed off on Nathan and he refuses to watch.

amp
03-03-2004, 12:01 PM
I hear you, Deborah! DH has such fun with him when he gets home from work. He just cannot understand how worn out I get when I haven't done much all day! He said this am, "So, he needs to eat 3 meals a day. Needs bottles. Needs clean diapers. Needs 2 naps a day..........(Big pause, as it dawns on him that this is a lot!)...And then I guess you have to pull him out of all the places he isn't supposed to be....." Um, yeah, that's why I'm worn out!

DDowning
03-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Oh Deborah, don't have any words of wisdom just that I'm right behind you and feel your pain. C isn't exactly crawing yet, mostly doing a lot of commando type stuff, but he can still get around pretty good. He did dumped the pets' water bowl twice and he's gotten into the tupperware bowl drawer in the kitchen. I just laugh at some of his hi-jinks but do the best I can to make the area as safe as possible. I have a feeling it will get worse before it gets better, at least for the next 18 months or so. Joy!

Hang in there!!!!

khakismom
03-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Right there with ya! (Although, I have heard from people with both sexes that boys are worse, ie, *much* busier.)

We never really had to deal with this too much with Kathleen, she just wasn't *that* curious. With Ellen, you have to watch her like a hawk. Anytime you open a drawer, cabinet, or door, she squeals with glee and then starts crawling towards it like a mad woman. Today, while I was getting ready for work, she pulled out all my toiletries and spread them all over the bathroom. And she likes to pull up to a standing position on this footstool and then try to crawl over it landing on the carpet with her face. Crazy girl!

NancyJ_redo
03-03-2004, 01:44 PM
We are going CRAZY!!! Not only is DS crawling everywhere and getting into everything, but he is extremely strong-willed so it complicates everything. He's still easily distracted, so for the most part I can pull him away from things and direct his attention elsewhere, so we're okay in the daytime. But the nighttime is going to KILL me and DH. We are both zombies today. I just dread the nighttime everyday because I never know what's in store for us.

It consistently takes us anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours to get him to sleep at night. For the last two nights I've resorted to climbing into his crib several times a night and snuggling him to sleep (we had been co-sleeping in our bed before). Last night he slept for a couple hours, then woke up and cried/screamed/played/cried/screamed until 3am. He screams and cries for hours if we try to get him to sleep (and I'm not even talking CIO, that won't work with him), but if I bring him to the den with his toys, he is THRILLED (yep, even at 3am).

Really, we are at the ends of our rope. Would a 'Buy it Now' work on Ebay, or should I just do a 7 day listing for him?

KMommie
03-03-2004, 01:48 PM
Here, we keep saying, "Thank God for The Wiggles and Yummy, Yummy!" We coslept while on vacation, and Kiki kept trying to climb the headboard of the bed, while asleep...isn't amazing how they can even practice their new skills in their sleep?! It does crack me up to watch our cat tease Kiki, by just staying JUST out of reach---every time. It keeps Kiki occupied, but I keep wondering when Kiki will figure out how to climb the ramp of the cat tree!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

sntm
03-03-2004, 04:11 PM
I know what y'all mean about the sleep-active baby. Jack keeps fliping over on his belly and crawling into the side of his crib while asleep and then getting so upset -- and never waking up!

He's much better in our bed, I think because I stir when he does and get him back to deep sleep before he can take off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

kransden
03-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Flagger I think you might be missing the point, or maybe I am :). It's the mess of having to clean up the spilled and strewn garbage along with the water all over the floor and dd that is the problem. Not the safety of it or saying no.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Dcclerk
03-03-2004, 05:28 PM
Right there with you. Mr. C. LOVES to scurry over to someplace he should not (fill in here with fireplace, toilet, large plant, computer cords, etc.), look at you while he does it, and laugh right in your face. Huh! It is all I can do not to just giggle with him. (Clearly I am raising a total imp, and so masochistic part of me thinks it's just adorable;)! )

He crawls like lightening now and our house is far from baby-proofed, so we are on constant watch. And no TV for us, either, so we don't get any respite that way. I will say, however, that the pull the books off the shelf game can occupy a good 15 minutes and that Music Block is fabulous both for the noise it makes and the way that it can be used as a walker across our hardwood floors!

As much as it is more work, though, don't you just love to see their little minds in action? I really do enjoy this stage immensely, even with one of the world's most opinionated children!

Joiyasmom
03-03-2004, 06:00 PM
My DD is all over the place too, chasing the cats and pulling books off of shelves, destroying the blinds if I don't pull them up soon enough, etc.
One thing I did to ease my pain was I put the pack n play in front of my fireplace. completely blocks it so she can't get near it. peace of mind...
oh, for the cat's food and water, it's up on the dryer...

what I can't fix is the drapes, she loves to stand and hold on to them, pulling them down inch by inch :(

Shannon, mother of Joiya 3/31/03

deborah_r
03-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Nancy -

OK, you win, you've got it way worse right now!!! At least once I get him to sleep he's pretty good, although he does want to play sometimes during the night. Here's a silly suggestion, I'm sure - do you take him for walks? I think Kai sleeps better on days where I have taken him for a walk.

I hope it gets better for all of us soon (or we at least get used to it!)

doubleL
03-04-2004, 04:25 PM
Deborah,

It's definitely a getting used to it thing. Every milestone threw me for a loop with DS, especially the one you are talking about! So I have been dreading DD being mobile, but I'm so used to it ALL now, it didn't even phase me this time. As soon as you're used to this stage... he'll start walking... oh my! It doesn't seem much different, but it is somehow... Enjoy :)

Lou
~David 5.01
~Elisabeth 6.03

hellokitty1
03-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Sydney is into EVERYTHING too. We call her Curious George. If we have to open a door, a cabinet, the refrigerator, etc., we've learned to make it quick or else she'll be sticking her head/hand in. DH once closed the fridge on her bc he did not see her down there.
And drawers...you would think she's had her fingers jammed enough times that she would quit trying to open the drawers.
And the garbage can is usually not where it belongs as it is usually pushed by her all the way across the kitchen.

cvharris
03-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Nancy - I think Ben and Braeden must be twins... :)

How is the crib sleeping going? We haven't gone there yet, but we need to soon.

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

jesseandgrace
03-10-2004, 10:19 PM
DS was just like all of these babies! He would take off like a shot crawling at the speed of light and dump the dog water bowl and food bowl and laugh. Before we had a baby gate he would dash up the stairs and slide down on his belly, to name just a few. This lasted from about six months to 18 months. I remember going to a party with him when he was 13 months and running after him because he could already run with speed. Other mothers were sitting enjoying themselves with their little ones playing at their feet. It does get better!

DD is now nine months, crawls a little, but does not have this mischevious side to her at all. It is really strange to have them so different, but I thinik it is a good thing to only have one mischevious one. They are a handful, but fun!