PDA

View Full Version : Too much grossness

jmofarrill
03-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Anwyn was, apparently, ill last night even though she gave no indication of it before she projectile vomited all over the kitchen table and my legs. Just missed my laptop, thank goodness. She started smiling and *laughing* immediately after she finished - I guess she thought it was funny? I wiped her down, took a shower, and I was about to give her a bath when she projectile vomited AGAIN all over the carpet in her bedroom. yuck She was smiling and laughing again! Can you believe it? After I cleaned the carpet, I gave her a bath, thinking it was safe. Sometime around 10:00, she vomited yet again. Except this time was in bed. And we co-sleep. And she was facing me. Ugh, so I threw a towel down and took her to sleep on the daybed in her room, which was ok, but she's REALLY active at night was fighting me for space on the bed. For some reason, she wanted to sleep horizontially, which didn't leave much room for me. *sigh*

So this morning, I put her in the saucer right after nursing so I can get ready for work. Dh looks at her about 5 minutes later and says "Oh no, she threw up again; it's all pooled at the bottom of her feet." So I grab her and carry her to her room to clean her up, all the time wondering why her legs were so wet but her top wasn't. Sure enough, she had diarrhea, and I was holding her *close*. So Anwyn is nasty, mommy is nasty. I put her in the tub and just sprayed everything off.

I'm not pumping enough milk for bottles for daycare, so I've been supplementing an ounce or two of formula mixed in with the ebm. I think maybe the formula turned and made her sick. I hope that's all it was. Since she's been smiling and laughing, I took her to daycare this morning and she was so happy.

I am scheduled to play accompaniment for middle school band solo & ensemble tonight and tomorrow, so I really hope she's okay so I don't have to cancel. The scheduling is soooo tight, the students have already paid me, and I can't really back out. However, I can't leave my daughter if she's really sick, either. ugh!

JElaineB
03-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Oh no Michelle! Gross is right! :) I hope Anwyn gets better soon!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

jal
03-05-2004, 04:27 PM
I took her to daycare this morning and she was so happy.

WTF!!! The symptoms you describe sound like a stomic virus that you have now potentially exposed several other children too as well. This is the type of behavior that nearly ruined a cruise we went on this past fall. Someone brought their child into day-care just after throwing up in the car. Two days later, DS was vomiting just like you described (and yes, we too got tired of cleaning the mess each time) followed by diarrhea, followed by mommey and daddy being sick two days later (scheduled to leave for trip next day).

DOESN'T YOUR DAYCARE HAVE RULES ABOUT CHILDREN BEING VOMIT AND DIARRHEA FREE FOR 24 HOURS?????

Or am I out of line and you have some special situation that allows you to send a sick child to daycare (my appolgies for the flame if you do).

khakismom
03-05-2004, 05:28 PM
Michelle, I'm so sorry than Anwyn is sick!!

This does sound like she might have a tummy virus. Ellen had this this week; according to my doc's office, it is going around. She did the same thing as Anwyn at daycare on Wednesday. Puke, happy face. An hour later, puke, happy face. Plus she had diarrhea for a few days too. Somewhere in all this she spiked a very low-grade fever. But the whole time, she was in normal spirits--which makes it so hard to know if she's sick! ACK! So I spent yesterday at home with her.

I hope Anwyn is feeling better soon! Puke + loose BM = no fun for anyone! Big hugs to you! :)

momathome
03-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Yikes, Michelle! Sorry to hear that Anwyn has been so sick! Talk about no fun. Hope you have a relaxing puke-free weekend - take care!
-Lauren

jmofarrill
03-05-2004, 07:10 PM
No, I understand what you're saying. If I thought she was ill from a virus, I would have kept her home. When she was throwing up, the overwhelming smell was the formula I had put in her bottles with her ebm. I only added 2 ounces of formula to 10 ounces of breastmilk. Since I smelled mostly formula, I checked the bottle in the fridge, and it smelled bad. I believe the throwing up and diarrhea were from the formula, not a stomach virus; I think her body was trying to get rid of it. I asked daycare, too, and they were fine with keeping her. We have to keep them out for fevers.

jmofarrill
03-06-2004, 09:21 AM
Ok, no more throwing up yesterday, no more diarrhea. Mommy's intuition strikes again! Her body was just getting rid of the formula. I should have known better; the first month of Anwyn's life was rough b/c we were supplementing bm with formula because she pretty much chewed nodes off of one of my nipples and I couldn't take the pain of bf'ing her. Everytime we gave her formula, she would just cry and cry and gas would rip through her little body and she would throw up (not spit up, but throw up). ugh. I've been trying to up my supply over the past couple of weeks, and it's worked, so I can drop the formula. ;)

KMommie
03-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Glad to hear that mommy's intuition was right on target and that Anwyn's illness wasn't a dreadful stomach bug...and that you've been able to up your supply. :) YAY!

I must admit, that as a fellow day care using mommy, I was a bit concerned that Anwyn went to day care after such violent episodes of vomit and diarrhea. If you had been wrong, a vicious cycle would have most likely started at the day care. I'm happy it all worked out.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03