PDA

View Full Version : $100? Are you kidding me??

C99
03-08-2004, 05:12 PM
In the beginning of February, we had work done on our house. We hired a company that had great reviews on Angie's List. They were to rip out the walls in our foyer, stairway and upstairs hall, and the ceiling in our upstairs hall, take off the moldings and trimwork and clean everything up afterwards. The walls had lead paint in them, so we hired this company because they are licensed and experience for lead abatement. Well, they screwed up. Half of the walls went into our basement and it took a week to clean it up. We threw out half of our stuff in the basement rather than take the risk that it was contaminated. They also vented the negative air machine through the window in Nate's room instead of the window in our bathroom, after I heard the supervisor tell them to vent through the bathroom. So we had to throw out the rug in Nate's room. The guy who was supposed to do the clearance for them after the work had to come back twice, so he charged us an extra $150 for that. The supervisor told me that he'd give me a discount on the work since his guys screwed up. I got the invoice last week and there was no discount, so I called today and he told me to take $100 off the top. $100?? Are you freaking kidding me?? I would say that their screw-ups cost us at least $400 in damage. I am so mad right now that I'm not even sure what to do!

nohomama
03-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Don't let it drop! If you can document that their neglegence cost you $400 then use that to dispute the bill. Threaten to call the agency that licenses them for lead abatement to complain and to ask for an investigation into this company and their work practices. In short, do everything you can to create a big stink. These people need to be held accountable.

McQ
03-09-2004, 11:27 AM
ITA with what Sarah said. Don't take their first offer. Tell them what they did wrong, what they damaged, what it cost you, and then you tell them what to take off the bill. And let them know about their poor business practices and that you are going to report them. $100 is a joke.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

jamsmu
03-10-2004, 12:07 AM
Don't forget to report them to the Better Business Bureau!