PDA

View Full Version : Why does he have to give up his nap *NOW* ?

Karenn
03-08-2004, 07:35 PM
Why can't he wait a little longer? He's not even two and yet he's really not seeming tired when I put him down at naptime (and not sleeping either!) But this is the one time in his life when I REALLY need to nap too! I'm pregnant, I'm tired, I'm hormonal and I WANT MY NAP!!!

I'm really hoping that this is a phase, but I'm not optimistic. He's always needed fewer hours of sleep than a lot of kids so I'm not totally surprised that he's losing his nap early. Please, someone give me a reason to believe otherwise!

Any suggestions? I was so desperate this afternoon that I loaded almost his entire bookshelf into his crib so that I could just have a little peace. It worked, but I don't think he's sleeping (and here I am on the boards- too riled up to sleep!)

bluej
03-08-2004, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry! DD napped very well until she was about 3, maybe a little older. Imagine my utter shock when DS#1 gave up naps at around 18-20 months. He would maybe nap once or twice a week. I'm not a model mother, the TV came in very handy on those days that I really needed a break! Since this is technically for YOUR health, I say invest in a few new videos (unless you totally object to TV) and veg on the couch while he enjoys the good ol' TV.

Btw, Congrats on the new pregnancy!

toomanystrollers
03-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Karen,
Even if he's not napping, I would continue with a little quiet time in his room. Another trick, get him outside at the playground in the late morning - let him run around and tucker himself out :)

Don't give up yet :)

Karenn
03-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! It helps to know I'm not the first mom in the world with a 20 month old that won't nap. I am going to try to keep a "rest time." Throwing the books into the crib yesterday didn't turn out to be such a bad idea after all- by the time I went back to check on him, he was asleep in a pile of books! (Granted it was the time when he usually wakes up from his nap that he actually fell asleep, but I was still happy.)

cdlamis
03-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Karen-

Oh no! Don't tell me that it can happen this early! I cherish the time during Julia's nap but wasn't aware that it all could end so soon!!!

Sorry- no advice or anything. :)

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b35d0802848f *December pictures