PDA

View Full Version : Kids and all their damn clothing sizes!!

jojo2324
03-09-2004, 06:26 PM
So, I'm in the basement, trying to organize all of our clothing bins. 0-3, or just 3. 3-6, just 6. 6-9 or 6-12. 9-12. 12 alone. 12-18. 18-24. 24. 2T. 36 months, or 3T for funsies.

ARGH!!!!!!!

Then you break it down into winter/summer and I need about 75 containers. I'm not even going boy/girl.

Can you tell I really don't feel like organizing?? DH took the kids to Grampa's to visit, so that I could "work uninterrupted." Must get off the computer before he returns!! :D

ETA: the n in "uniterrupted." I knew it looked funny!

caleymama
03-09-2004, 06:44 PM
I SOOO hear you! I was down in the basement trying to figure out these same things today. I didn't start off with a good organization system (kicking myself now!!) and now all of a sudden I have a year and a half worth of clothes to sort out. We moved this past June and the bags of clothing (among lots of other things) have been sitting in the basement just waiting to be organized ever since. I finally have decided that it's GOT to be done so that I can stop thinking about it.

I am the type of person that needs to do a project like this from start to finish - this do a little here and there since I only have little bits of time is driving me NUTS. I hate to start projects like this because I dread having to keep stopping - I promise I'm not procrastinating! We have no family w/in 3 hours, so sending DD to visit is difficult - I want DH here to help. I haven't found any babysitters here yet and I'm not sure DD would like us being home and her having to stay upstairs with someone else. Tried having her down there with me today ... was fun for about the first 8 minutes. I've been thinking I have to figure something out, though, since I need to get a handle on the chaos down there before it gets any worse.

Anyway, funny that you posted this because I really was sitting there with my Sharpie in hand trying to decide how to sort and label.

Edited because my fried brain can't spell today.

jojo2324
03-09-2004, 06:56 PM
LOL, this is like a mirror! :D Only we do have family...they just don't baby-sit. We can bring Sorrel downstairs...she sits atop the dryer in her seat, but Gannon....Yikes. Can't leave him alone for a nanosecond without hearing some crash, rattle, bang!!

I am such a weirdo with organizing. I'm NOT. But totally anal at the same time. Drives ME nuts, so I can only imagine how DH feels. But yeah, our basement is a complete wreck, and it weighs on me every day. I just want to get it organized, now and forever!

Good luck. No advice on the labels. :)

kijip
03-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Making it even harder is that the sizes don't match the brand labels!!! My son has clothes that are 3-6 months that fit fine and clothes that a 24 months that fit fine. He is 8 months old. Trying to organize these things as he has outgrown or recieved gifts for future use (hell, we are getting clothes that would fit a 4 year old as gifts.) I just tossed anything under 6 months into a "small" bin and 6-12 in a "Medium" and 12-24 in a "large" bin. For all things that he has not hope of fitting into soon I labeled the bin "Future". I have no idea what I will do if I try and save all of this stuff for a possible #2 baby down the road............

Good luck!

khakismom
03-10-2004, 02:35 PM
It must be spring, because I am doing this too and it's making me crazy!!

I started all my organizing when Kathleen was born, labeling all the bins like you describe: 3-6/girl/summer. Eventually, it ended up as 3-6. Only recently have I started adding the season back in because Kathleen can now wear clothign sizes for almost a whole year. So we have 3T spring/summer and 3T fall/winter. For the smaller sizes, the way I figure it, I can look at the 3-6 and remember when the girls were in it and that it was summer.

I'm at the other end though. With 2 kids, it's like the clothes are multiplying when I'm not looking and now I am ready to PURGE, and purge big. Our storage in the basement is shrinking with all the clothes and gear and toys that I am chucking (ie, garage sale-ing) what they don't use and clothes that I don't love. I'm doing this with my stuff too. I spent 2 hours Monday nite cleaning out my dresser throwing away old bras, underwear, socks, and putting clothes I don't wear any more into a giant sack for the garage sale.

I empathize with you--but jealous that you get to do it alone!! Good luck and let us know how you make out! :)

peanut4us
03-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Amen! i've been trying to organize Sara's outgrown clothes for months. I've stopped because I am tired of redoing it! At first I started really thoughtfully considering what ages she actually wore them and sorted them entirely by that. But then I realized that my next child could have a totally different body type! Gah! So I redid it all and then ran into the damn 6 months size... is that 3-6 or 6-9? It depends on the brand, now, doesn't it! I think the container store and rubbermaid and sterilite must have some shennanigans going with the clothing labelers!

I've officially decided that I am having the following bins:

0-3
3-6
6-12
Who the hell knows

The last bin is for stuff marked 3-6 months that clearly would be too big for a 2 year old and vice versa! Now, I just need to do it.

I also need to box up the 4 ounce bottles, pump parts, baby shoes, etc. Gah! Calgon, take me away.

suribear
03-10-2004, 03:43 PM
Our house is bursting with kid's clothes!! First of all, we have DD's clothes up to size 3 in storage, then DS's up to size 3-6 months in storage. Time to purge, though I've been saving them for friends and family. Add to that all the stuff I buy in advance for future use (which is a LOT) and it's a nightmare. I often forget what we have in storage for later so it's a surprise to me :)

As for the sizes, they really need to be standardized. DS can fit into a few 3-6 month things AND some 18-24 mo., depending on the brand. Even within the same brand, he can wear different sizes. drives me nuts!

Kris

McQ
03-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Right now I just have one HUGE rubbermaid storage container which I started filling up as he outgrew things. I figure with this next one I'll just go through the box and see what I can keep, reuse, sell or give away.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

m448
03-10-2004, 11:26 PM
That's why I'm just selling off the stuff. Honestly, what are the chances that I'll have another boy that wears 12mos at 4mos and was a winter baby?

Nill, so it's going up on ebay in lots by sizes and then I'll just get stuff for the next baby as I need it.

AngelaS
03-11-2004, 08:48 AM
After A, I saved things in the following bins: newborn, 6/12 summer (anything she wore the first summer), 12/18 winter (same as summer) and so on, sorting by what she wore each season. The older she got, the less I saved. The 3 and 4T bins onlyhave the dresses I made for her and winter coats.

After G, I sold EVERYTHING. LOL

This summer, I will be garage saling like a mad woman to outfit the baby.... LOL

Of course, I garage saled like a mad woman to outfit G--she wore VERY little of what I'd saved from A.... :D