PDA

View Full Version : I DO NOT have Mom hair

himom
03-17-2004, 07:25 AM
I've had waist-length hair pretty consistently since I was 12 years old. I got fed up with it a couple of years ago but I didn't want to cut it while I was pregnant (long story). Anyway, I deliberately held off cutting it as long as possible so I could avoid the "oh, you cut your hair because of the baby" speech. I didn't work.

The stylist cut my hair MUCH shorter than I asked her to and I think it makes me look old and a little frumpy. So you can imagine how irritating it has been to have 3 different people come up to me and say, "Oh, you got the mom haircut." Today I got into it with some co-workers about it and they just kept insisting that it IS a mom haircut, all Moms do it, they knew I would too, blah blah blah. I know in the grand scheme of things it's a stupid thing to obsess about, but I can't help being pretty ticked off.

And, BTW....it was much easier to keep out of DS's way when it was long. Now it's the perfect length for him to pull on. That makes it un-mommish to me. ARGH!!!!

Off to take some vitamins so it will GROW!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

jal
03-17-2004, 11:08 AM
I understand your point of view. But like you said, you've had it long since you were 12 years old. No one but maybe very close friends and family members are going to believe that you "just so happened to" get your hair cut very short (relative to it's previous length) about the same time DS was born (too much of a coincidence).

Sorry if I don't sound sympathetic. I don't mean to be. Just pointing out the reality of the situation.

The only suggestion I have is to try to see it from everyone else's point of view and TRY not to let it bother you.

nitaghei
03-17-2004, 11:26 AM
>And, BTW....it was much easier to keep out of DS's way when
>it was long. Now it's the perfect length for him to pull on.
>That makes it un-mommish to me. ARGH!!!!
>

Yup! I've actually let my hair grow since DS was born. Now I can braid it and it's out of the way - he can't pull it (OUCH) or chew on it (YUCK).

Hope your hair grows fast!!

And those "told you so's" are soooo annoying, particularly after your hair stylist messes up. My sympathies!!

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

egoldber
03-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Well, having had all sorts of hair lengths over the years from half way down my back to 1" all over, I think that medium length hair (say from under the ears to the tops of your shoulders) is by far the fussiest length. When its really long you can just pull it back. But with medium length hair you're just kinda trapped with it there. IMO, if you're going to get a "short" hair cut, be BOLD and go short!

And then people will believe that you really wanted something new and different. :)

papal
03-17-2004, 02:57 PM
ITA with Beth!!! The MEDIUM length hair (upto or just above shoulders) is THE most aggravating length. Go REALLY short...you won't spend time styling it.. baby won't be able to pull on it and with summer around the corner, it will be PERFECT!

emilyf
03-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Rashmi, I was admiring your hair at lunch last week-it's such a cute style. Reminds me I need to cut my hair. DH has been petrified since ds was born that I was going to go out and get what he calls the lpga cut.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

Jacksonvol
03-17-2004, 05:18 PM
"LPGA cut" ROTFL!

papal
03-17-2004, 11:57 PM
Confession. I have not had a cut in over 3.5 months so usually it is way cuter than that. ;) (and way shorter).
Emily, if you are in town, my hairdresser is an angel. I highly recommend him. And i will PAY for your cut if you hate it, that is how much trust i have in him. :)

newbelly2002
03-18-2004, 05:02 AM
LPGA? Not sure what that means but DH calls it the "housewife" haircut (mind you, since we both work from home).

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

sbjf
03-18-2004, 08:39 AM
LPGA- Ladies Professional Golf Association I believe.

newbelly2002
03-18-2004, 09:18 AM
Ah-ha. Thanks!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

nitaghei
03-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately, the medium length is the only thing that works for me.

Both Rashmi and Beth have the cutest styles - but I know something that short would make me look even more hedious than I do now. And DH would be devastated.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

californiagirl
03-19-2004, 04:04 PM
I used to have very long hair, and I can tell you that people *have* to find some reason why you cut it and tell you what it is. Since I didn't have a baby then it was a midlife crisis... plus they all told me how much better I felt (not true) and every time I let it grow for a month people tell me I've decided to grow it back! Why do people decide they know these things?

himom
03-19-2004, 10:06 PM
I don't know! But oh, thank you, I'm so glad to hear another person say this! I really am about to go ballistic on the very next person who informs me they know better than I do why I did something.

This has always bothered me, but it's really been getting to me with the whole haircut thing. I hate it when people tell me they know better than I do. Why would I lie about something so ridiculously trivial? And why is it any of their business anyway?

You're right....this short hair DOESN'T feel better. It's annoying that I can't pull it back and it just falls into my face. =(

I've actually been mostly polite so far. But I'm getting to the point where the very next person who informs me I "definitely cut it because of DS and there's no use denying it" might just get a two word, not-so-polite answer from me! That's not exactly my style since I don't like bad language, but, oh, it's tempting. I could settle for "Well, obviously you don't need me for this conversation since you're not listening to me anyway, so I'll be going. Let me know how it turns out."

Oh well, it really is a stupid thing to get upset over. Perhaps I'll just content myself with bitching in here and settle!

Jodi

papal
03-20-2004, 12:30 AM
ooooh.. sorry Jodi! i hope i did not make you feel worse by commenting on Super Short vs Medium Length. ITA with you that random people making hair comments is a PITA.... i just thought that since it was bothering you so much i would try and offer a 'solution' of sorts. Sorry!!! And sending GROW FAST HAIR vibes your way!!!

jesseandgrace
03-22-2004, 03:23 PM
I can't explain why, but I would also freak if someone told me that I got the mom haircut - I think because they are being rude!

himom
03-23-2004, 07:28 AM
Oh no, you didn't make me feel worse at all! I appreciate suggestions and I love just having a place to complain!

It's actually grown quite a bit and I'm slowly starting to like it at this newest length. =)

So thanks for the hair vibes!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003