PDA

View Full Version : very minor--but very annoyed

crl
03-21-2004, 02:06 PM
I just got home from the gym. Some guy I do not know tried to give me advice on technique for a particular weight lifting move. I was absolutely not in his way nor did I ask for his advice. Oh, and I am not doing the move in a way that could result in injury. This is not the first time this has happened to me (not the same guy--not even the same gym). I have NEVER seen a guy do this to another guy--my husband confirms this has never happened to him.

So, why does this random person feel free to give me unsought advice????

By the way, I refrained from pointing out that rocking while doing bicep curls isn't good form and that some ballet might help with his flexibility problems in return and just said uh-huh, thanks. My look must have gotten my real reaction across though because he said sorry and went away.

Thanks for letting me b*tch.

pritchettzoo
03-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Maybe it was a sad attempt to hit on you? (Oh baby, let me show you some good form...) ;)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

kyung
03-21-2004, 04:15 PM
Yep. I think he was hitting on you.

crl
03-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Hmm, I don't think so.

I could be wrong, but this guy has been in the gym when I've gone there with dh in the past. I didn't recognize him, but dh had me describe him and dh recognized the description. So, you'd think if he was "interested" he would have noticed dh with me before.

Thanks for the flattery though!

jk3
03-22-2004, 09:19 AM
That is a annoying. A couple of month ago a woman did the same thing to me and it really ticked me off. She told me I was doing something incorrectly and instead of just saying thank you I felt I had to push the point with her because it was an unneccessary interferance. I told her that was hoe my physical therapist taught me to do the exercise-which was true-and she replied that if I wanted to do it wrong + have an ijury that was fine with her. Now I try to avoid her at all costs!

jal
03-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Another vote for "hitting on you".

Even if it wasn't a direct attempt at hitting on you, guys (married and single) will still look for an excuse to talk to a pretty girl.

kijip
03-27-2004, 04:52 AM
I have the same problem. And on several occasions the clown in question was showing me how to do it WRONG. I have been lifting for 8 years so I know what I am doing. I pretty much think it is flirting BUT this theory was not the case the last time it happened- I was with my husband AND I was carrying (am carrying!) some serious post baby bloat. I think it is the know-it-all take charge attitude that some people sport. Like exerting control over the surroundings or such. I condone tossing a weight at him.

crl
03-27-2004, 10:06 AM
>I condone
>tossing a weight at him.

LOL!

Sarah1
03-27-2004, 02:31 PM
I agree with the others who said he's hitting on you. A wedding ring means nothing to some people. I actually got hit on more when I had an engagement ring than before--truthfully. I also agree that's his way of showing how manly he is...pathetic.

ChrisRapp
03-29-2004, 06:14 PM
Have you ever noticed that it is always the puny, pathetic guys that do this? I used to date a professional body builder who taught me how to lift, so I know I have close to perfect form. But once, when I was at the gym with my husband (a very serious weightlifter) this little weak loser came over to correct my form. The funny thing is, I think he was trying to show off for my husband, not me!