PDA

View Full Version : Telemarketers!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRGH--Rant Ahead

Imperia
03-23-2004, 04:10 PM
First off, let me say I hate phones in general. I basically only talk to a few people on the phone, and I avoid calling people if possible. I have a bit of a phone phobia, you might say.

I don't get many phone calls, but I do tend to answer when I do because it might be my DH. He likes to call to check in or my one friend I do talk with or some family member. Anyway, I know I could screen the calls, but WHY should I have to, KWIM?

I put us on the national do not call list, but in case you didn't already know it does NOT include charities OR companies like Visa if you have an account with them.

I have always hated telemarketers and I know they are just doing their job, but they annoy me to no end. They call at all the wrong times (suppertime! 8:30 am!!!!!!!!) it is 11:35 am and I have received no fewer than 3 telemarketing calls for charities. A fellow even got snippy with me and started trying to make me feel guilty because I said I didn't want to donate to some veterans organization. He started saying how could I not want to help out these men and women who are protecting our great country blah blah. I go so mad I hung up on him. I should have told him I am a libertarian and do not believe the US should be involved in foreign wars which do not pose a direct threat to us.

My father (who is a character!) does hilarious thing sto telemarkets such as asking them if they have a few minutes to discuss accepting Jesus as their personal saviour (I hope this doesn't offend anyone, I still find it amusing).

My DH is always polite and listens to what they have to say. I ask what this is about, and then cut them off and say, "Sorry not interested." If they go on I hang up on them, it might be rude, but I dont have time to listen to their drivel. I also love to say, "Well I have a 7 week old baby who is crying right now (which she isn't) I have to go." When Maddy was only a week old this one company (DISCOVER grrrrrrrrr) kept calling me at 8:00 am every day!
I told them to stop bothering me; I had a brand new baby. So, she would hang up and call back at say 2:00pm the SAME DAY! After about 3 days of 3-4 calls a DAY from them I lost it and screamed at the operator, "STOP CALLING ME! I am busy, I have a new baby. I do not have time for this. Take me off your list and if you call me again I am reporting you and your company." Worked like a charm; haven't heard from them since, but there are always more to take their place.

Imperia

deborah_r
03-23-2004, 05:51 PM
What really annoys me about them is how they just start talking and there is no ups or downs in their intonation and they go really fast, and they expect me to actually listen to them and care what they are saying, when it seems obvious to me that they do not care what they are saying. They don't even try to sound as though they are speaking with me or to me, they just speak AT me.

lrucci
03-24-2004, 12:30 AM
I love it when... they ask do you have a few minutes, I tell them that I am busy with the baby, so NO this is NOT a good time, but they start giving their little speecch. Umm, what part of this is not a good time did you not understand. It makes me sooo mad!!!

Sorry about the rant, but this just happened tonight. So this was a very timely post.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh Elizabeth 7/19/03

Imperia
03-24-2004, 05:23 AM
=D

I am glad someone else agrees with me. That;s why I hang up. What part of "CLICK!" did you not understand? Muahahha!

Imperia

JElaineB
03-24-2004, 10:52 AM
I am so glad about the do not call list. I have hardly gotten any telemarketing calls since it started. I used to love using the "baby line" too. Once I had a kid from MCI call and I told him I wasn't interested. MCI called back a couple hours later and I said "someone from there just called me, I said I wasn't interested." He said, "that was me, you didn't listen what I had to say" or something to that effect. I got soooooo mad! I said (yelled), "Put me on your do not call list and let me talk to your supervisor. I want to talk to your supervisor RIGHT NOW!" Well, you know, HE hung up on ME! Never have gotten another call from MCI though.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

JLiebCamm
03-27-2004, 01:07 AM
This is why I love, love, love Caller ID. Yes, it is an unnecessary monthly expense, but it's worth the grand ability to screen my calls. If the ID says "Unknown", "Blocked", or is something unfamiliar to me, I don't answer it. My theory is that if they really are contacting me for a good reason they'll leave a message. It also helps me to avoid MIL calls when DH isn't home and I'm not in the mood. I know I sound awful but I really do hate the phone and minimize how much time I'm on it (MIL will recount her day for me down to the very last detail with no other point than to shoot the breeze).