PDA

View Full Version : What, NOW? PPD? How long after birth can it set in?

kijip
03-27-2004, 02:20 AM
I am not the crying sort. I am not generally in a bad mood. I pretty much think life is good. I love what I do, I love my family, I love life in general. I am not having financial, marital or other life problems. But I have started to feel terrible. I feel the same way I felt right after my son was born NINE MONTHS AGO!! It has kicked in this last 2 weeks or so. I am moody, worried about all sorts of doomsday situations, I start to cry at everything and I felt like snapping a co-worker in two today...FOR NO REAL REASON. Could this be PPD? I have no history of previous depression that was not tracable to specific problems such as dealing with the loss of a family member. I just doubt that I could get PPD this late in the game. Has anyone else had late arriving PPD? What did you do to treat it? I hesitate to go to a doc for this since I am not really into the idea of antidepressants. Is there anything I can do or do I have to just wait it out? It seems like it will go on forever.

Rachels
03-27-2004, 08:55 AM
So sorry you're having such a hard time! Are you nursing? I felt like that for two weeks before my period started back. Any chance it's that? It could be depression, but it actually doesn't matter much what you call it-- you feel how you feel. If you continue to struggle like this, consider seeing a therapist. It can be enormously helpful and validating to have someone support you in working through your emotions and experiences. Hang in there! This will pass.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Momof3Labs
03-27-2004, 09:45 AM
I was also going to suggest that it might be AF returning - I found the PMS (emotional part) to be pretty bad for the first several months after AF returned. Finally this month (my 7th cycle since Colin was born), I felt like a normal human being.

emilyf
03-27-2004, 10:27 AM
Another vote for pms. Mine came back at 9 mos (even though I was still nursing) and I felt horrible for a few weeks-physically and emotionally.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

kijip
03-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have never suffered from PMS before. My cycle returned 3 months ago. In fact what were previously terrible cramps are gone during my period (I never had early cramps or PMS). My mother and grandmother both say that after they gave birth they never had another cramp related to their cycles. So I have my fingers crossed. I suppose that PMS could be hitting me now, post baby as "pennace" for zero cramps. Are there other posters who never had PMS pre-baby start having it post-baby?

barbarhow
03-27-2004, 04:11 PM
I agree with what Rachel posted above-it doesn't really matter what you call it-you are feeling rotten. You shouldn't have to feel this way. Definately consider talking to a therapist-and to your doctor.
In January I had a few weeks of horrible depression-it was without a doubt the worst I have ever felt in my life. I am bfing-but Jack had started solids so was not nursing as much-it did seem to be hormonal in some way-I also wondered if I had started ovulating-I still don't know-but I do know that I was on the verge of considering antidepressants.
Hang in there-make sure that someone knows how you are feeling. I didn't say anything for a while and when I finally told DH, I felt like such a weight had been lifted.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

Lynnie
03-28-2004, 11:12 AM
try exercising... i know it sounds like a pat answer, but it really can help if you get your heartrate up doing aerobic activity. endorphins and seratonin and whatnot. i had ppd and was breastfeeding, so didn't want to take anything, even though my ob was passing out the pills like candy. another doctor recommended i try to exercise, really exercise, so i started getting up earlier every morning and rollerblading around the neighborhood, or going to the gym and running on the treadmill/eliptical machine or spinning. it really helped. i did have to commit to doing it on a regular basis, and for more than just 10 or 20 minutes, but it really did help.

and know that not all docs want to just put you on meds automatically, and that even if they do, it is your choice, so don't put off seeing someone for that reason alone.

hang in there

hcsl
03-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Me!!!

I'm so glad you posted this question. I have NEVER had PMS (or any realted cramps or skin problems) in my life, but the few cycles I've had postpartum have been horrible. I have been the biggest bee-otch to live with in the few days before I start my period. I have truly been miserable- I can't look at my husband without thinking that I just may hate him. It took me a couple of cycles to figure out that I was PMSing- I really thought that I just couldn't stand him for some reason. I hope that now that I have it figured out I can be aware of it next month and try to not be so nasty. I hope this will level out and I'll get back to normal.

kijip
03-29-2004, 12:58 AM
I workout 4 times per week plus walk/run everyday to train for a race in May. I am reconsidering the doc thing- thanks for the feedback. I have been feeling better.