PDA

View Full Version : I must have gotten used to living in California

miki
03-28-2004, 07:27 PM
When we first moved to the San Francisco Bay area 3 years ago from NYC, I was always impatient at people for taking extra time to be friendly and chatty (like at the store when you are checking out). Now we are temporarily back in NY at my parents' on Long Island before we move to our new home in North Carolina. I've gone out with my kid a few times and I have to say that people are just really rude here.

For instance, I took Lorelei to the market today where I carried her in a sling. She's hanging in front of me while I'm holding one of those little hand baskets for the few things we were picking up. I wanted to get her some jarred baby food of fruits that are not in season fresh so we go over to peruse that section. There's a couple in front of the section of shelves I want to look at who are obviously grandparents with no clue about what they ought to be getting for their grandkid. I say excuse me to get behind the guy who was not looking at anything because his job was apparently just to push the cart for his wife. He moves maybe 2 inches. Gee thanks for making it so convenient for me to shop when I have one free hand and I'm hauling my 17 pound kid.

And could you say, "Excuse me," if you run into a lady holding a baby? Sheesh.

It's a good thing people are telling me that the folks in North Carolina are really friendly and nice.

jojo2324
03-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Hey now!! I'm in NY - specifically on Long Island! We're not all rude.

ETA: But you're right. NYers don't earn their reputation from *nothing*. Even so, we're not all that bad.

miki
03-28-2004, 08:47 PM
No, Joanne, definitely not all bad. :P I think my folks live in an especially snooty area.

MartiesMom2B
03-28-2004, 09:42 PM
As a relocated Yankee who lives in NC, I can vouch for the friendliness down here. It's kind of nice and refreshing. However you can always tell who the ex-New Yorkers are though. They are the ones flipping you the bird after tailgating you or cutting you off.

You are moving to Charlotte right?

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

jojo2324
03-28-2004, 11:59 PM
LOL, Wen, maybe you're in my neck of the woods?? :) Eastern Long Island. It's not the people who live here who get rude, but mainly those who visit. But, the locals can get nasty too...

When I went to CA last year, I was so struck by how nice everybody is. It was such a pleasure.

And I don't flip the bird. (Mostly.) I usually flash my brights, and that's only if somebody's doing 20 in a 55. (Grr, traffic on Long Island - that's a whole 'nother gripe.)

kelly ann
03-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Are you in Charlotte? I am trying to push DH into looking for a job in NC - we are in Chicago right now. I have always felt like I belong in NC...I used to live in VA. Please tell me you love living there...DH doesn't understand why I feel the need to move there. I like Chicago, but I miss the rolling hills and the greenery/mountains of the East.

McQ
03-29-2004, 12:13 PM
Funny how we get set in our ways. I can remember when a friend of mine was visiting from San Diego (we're in DC) and she was complaining about how rude people were. This as she was standing on the left side of the escalator on the metro. And I'm like move it, it's stand right, walk left on the escalator. Of course you're going to get comments if you're standing on the left side.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

suribear
03-29-2004, 01:13 PM
ITA

I've spent a lot of time in NC and NY, and now I live in CA. Without a doubt, there is a HUGE difference! People in NC are super friendly, Californians are next, but I hate to say that New Yorkers (in my experience) tend to be on the unfriendly side. Not that everyone is like that (!) but it's more of a trend. Plus I've noticed that my NYC friends are really high enery and impatient. My best friend became like that after she moved to NY - drives me NUTS :) See, something like the escalator incident is not a big deal to me. I don't understand why anyone would spend the energy to get upset over that :) I'm definitely more laid back. Guess I better stay put, huh?

Kris

MartiesMom2B
03-29-2004, 01:36 PM
I actually live in Raleigh. I used to live in NoVa, but have family in Mt. Jackson. My parents want to by an inn in the Shenandoah valley. I love it here. It's a great place to raise children.

Sonia

MartiesMom2B
03-29-2004, 01:39 PM
LOL! Allison that was my biggest pet peeve when I worked in DC. I hated tourist season, especially cherry blossom season. Then I couldn't get a seat on the metro. I think they need to put signs up "Stand on the right, move on the left"

One time I was so annoyed b/c I was running late for work and there was a hold up. I felt horrible when I saw there was a blind man at the top of the escalator and he was accompanied by his seeing-eye dog.

Sonia

miki
03-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Yep, we'll be in Charlotte in a few weeks. Actually we'll be living just outside Charlotte in Cornelius. That is if our house closes. I'm hoping no glitches surface to hold that up or we'll have no where to go!