PDA

View Full Version : My brain! Aack!

COElizabeth
03-30-2004, 12:36 PM
I just returned a call from a neighbor, and in leaving my name and number, I had to stop because I FORGOT my phone number! I literally had to call my DH at work to ask him our number! Granted, we have lived here only 4 months, but still, this is frightening! Is pregnancy brain worse the second time around? Is there any hope for me? :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

redhookmom
03-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Well, maybe not. I have lived in my home for over a year and could not remember my number a couple of weeks ago.

I also cannot remember how old I am or what year it is.

I am assuming this is all related to sleep deprivation. I am looking forward to getting my memory back.

Marisa6826
03-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Somebody asked me when I got married the other day. I had to look at the engraving on my ring.

UGH...

-m

californiagirl
03-30-2004, 01:12 PM
I admire anybody who normally knows their phone number after 4 months. I've never been good at phone numbers. And I come by it naturally -- I must have been 5 by the time I figured out that when my mother asked me for our phone number in the grocery store, she wasn't really testing me. If I didn't give it to her, she wrote down her best friend's phone number. I'm worried about pregnancy brain because I'm losing my ability to spell.

Meanwhile, carry something with your phone number on it -- your checkbook, or a business card (you can run off some just for this purpose), or an address book. The business card trick works really well, because people don't see you looking it up, you just give them a card. I always have personal cards for just this reason.

Rachels
03-30-2004, 01:22 PM
LOL! Once in college, some friends and I got hopelessly lost in Kentucky on a road trip. We finally stopped at a convenience store in the middle of nowhere to buy a map. When we asked the clerk what town we were currently in, she had to call her husband to ask him. I am not making this up. She was employed there, and couldn't think of the name of the town. Ack. Maybe she was pregnant. Then again, most of the people in that very small, remote place seemed to be related, so maybe not...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sntm
03-30-2004, 01:31 PM
ha ha - as a former Kentuckian, I should be offended, but I think I know that town... :+

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Calmegja2
03-30-2004, 01:33 PM
(looking for a bag to hide under)

Last time I took Josh to the ped's, I couldn't remember if his birthday was the 29th or the 30th of April. I had to call my DH.

And I'm the queen of retaining useless knowledge. You'd think I'd make room in there for a birthday of one of my children....

momathome
03-30-2004, 06:42 PM
When I was leaving a message for someone last week, I said that could call me at home or on my cell phone - and then completely blanked on the cell phone # and ended up having to say (somewhat embarassed and frustrated) oh, just call me at home! And I am not pregnant:)
-Lauren

muskiesusan
03-30-2004, 10:55 PM
My husband was in a small town in KY and stopped at a convenience store to ask where a street was. Apparently, the 5 or 6 people didn't have a clue. Turns out, the convenience store was on the street he was looking for, they just didn't realize it had an actual name!!!! Having been raised in a rural area myself, I told him that locals often have different names for streets than what the map shows, at least in WVa we did. He just stared at me in disbelief.

I have always had problems remembering our telephone number. To give me some assistance, the past four numbers we have had spell out our last name in the final four digits, so I only have to remember three numbers. I love that the telephone company has allowed us to pick our numbers!!

Susan
Mom to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

smkinc
03-31-2004, 01:27 AM
Don't feel bad. Our babysitter had us write all of our phone numbers down including our home number. She had taken a first aid class and they said in an emergency it is common for people to forget their own phone number, and that it's a good idea to have it written down next to the phone so that you have ready access to it.

Mary
Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03
and our 'first' Curie (6 year old Golden Retriever)

alexsmommy
03-31-2004, 10:52 AM
Oh, am I laughing. lmintzer (Lisa) and I work together and were literally trying to explain this phenomenon to our childless collegues at lunch yesterday. I used to be smart...
Alaina - Mom to Alex 2-4-03 (born at 32 weeks)

cric
03-31-2004, 11:18 AM
I was hoping my brain would come back! Last week I said that DS, who is only 6wks was 1) 13lbd 14oz (he was 8lbs, 14oz) and 2) he was born on April 22 - hello, it's only March! Please tell me I get SOME of it back when I start sleeping more?!

Lynn

deenass
03-31-2004, 10:52 PM
After I gave birth to my son and realized I ahd lost all my brain cells, I decided that when you have a baby, half or your brain gets pushed out with the placenta and buried as medical waste.

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone!