PDA

View Full Version : Someone just stole the lilacs from our backyard!!!!!!!

kwc
03-30-2004, 07:33 PM
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!
DD and I just got home from meeting DH for lunch for his birthday and pulling into the back driveway (our garage/ backyard opens on an alley), I noticed the wall of purple blooms that is our lilac bush has been reduced to a bush of branches with some floral debris underneath!!!!!
It must have happened this morning or in the 2 hours we were gone!

Who would do such a thing!!! I had cut a few branches this weekend to give to my mom but was planning to wait until today when it was in full glory to cut some for DH's birthday... and now there are only a few sprays left... the older ratty ones!

The worst part is, that it is the only thing blooming this year since I neglected the yard when I was pregnant/ since DD was born... and it won't bloom much next year because lilacs bloom on old wood (which has mostly been cut away!!!).

I know it's not a big thing... but I can't believe it and I am SO MAD!!!!!

AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHGH!

Karen

redhookmom
03-30-2004, 08:19 PM
I would consider this a really big thing. Not because Lilacs are so valuable but becuase of how insanely rude that is.

caleymama
03-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Oooooh - I would be really angry. That's terrible! I'm so sorry you had to come home to that.

C99
03-30-2004, 10:05 PM
That is terrible! When I was a kid, our house bordered an alley, too, and people used to cut through the yard, let their dogs poop in our side entrance walk way (and not clean it up), throw their garbage over the fence, etc. It was horrible!

Lucia
03-30-2004, 11:06 PM
I would be outraged! I can't believe someone would have the guts to come into your yard and help themselves to your lilacs. Sounds like they got quite a load, too. Perhaps your neighbors saw someone in your yard. Maybe a trip to a local nursery will help you perk up the yard....buy a few pots and fill with something blooming. It always makes me feel better to spend time in a nursery, plus digging in dirt is a great way to release anger and frustration!

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

lisams
03-31-2004, 12:31 AM
Could a dog or other animal have eaten them? My MIL has dogs that eat all of her plants. I sure hope that it was a dog, because if it was a person that is so incredibly rude I don't know what I would think. I'm sorry your flowers are gone, I would be really mad too.

Lisa

luvbeinmama
03-31-2004, 03:12 AM
That is so incredibly RUDE! You have every right to be mad. I would be livid!

cric
03-31-2004, 11:40 AM
I would be super ticked! But I'm also jealous... you have lilacs already? Who hoo, It's spring!! We just have tiny trees that we planted last year, can't wait 'till they bloom.

Years ago my brother caught someone picking his apples. She said she had been picking them for years. He told her that the land was now his and to stop picking his apples. SHE DIDN'T - CAME BACK A FEW DAYS LATER! He went up to her again and dumped the apples she had picked, out of principle I guess. He wanted the apples for the deer bait pile.

trumansmom
03-31-2004, 11:50 AM
That would break my heart! I live for the lilacs blooming every spring. My biggest hope is that they will be blooming when my baby comes so I can have some in her nursery to welcome her home.

I am so, so sorry. I hope you find whoever did it.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

khakismom
03-31-2004, 01:18 PM
That is appalling!! I would be upset too! I hope your week gets better.

mharling
03-31-2004, 01:20 PM
That is truly unbelievable. I'm mad for you!!!

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

kwc
03-31-2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the support... strange how collective anger makes me feel better. I am still just appalled and in disbelief... but at least I know that lilac thieves are probably not violent criminals.

I'm trying to let go, because it got DH pretty upset and that was the last thing I wanted to do on his birthday... though he went out and picked up a spray of blooms this morning that was left behind and put it in a jar for me on the kitchen counter (very sweet, but cracks me up that he can't find the vases). In "a fit of pique" (his words) He also closed the back "gate" (only waist high and doesn't lock) to the driveway though he knows they will not be back (nothing left) but warned me to open it if I drive anywhere today (I am the person who posted a couple of months ago about backing into a fire hydrant with my new car).

Unfortunately, it was definitely not a dog, as some of the branches cut were almost 1/4 inch thick and there are clear marks from pruners (and some of the branches are over my head). They actually even cut some that were leaning over the low fence into our neighbors yard so I imagine they were probably there almost 10 minutes... and I can only guess that they cut them to SELL them, as you would probably get 5-6 vases full out of what they took, too much for one person... professional lilac thieves, who would have thought it!!! At least if it was just one person, they would be enjoying it!

Jeanne, I hope your lilacs are in bloom when you bring home your baby... the bush is such a dead looking thing most of the year, and then so glorious when in bloom... what a perfect symbol for new life!

Thanks everyone,
Karen

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-31-2004, 07:02 PM
as a fellow garden lover there are few bitching post threads that have me so mad as this one...

I would be livid!!!!!
I hope you catch the person...I'm irrate for you!!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

esianoyam3
04-02-2004, 03:18 AM
I would be so mad! I live for the lilacs in the spring.

Sounds to me like maybe somebody wanted them for a wedding bouquet and didn't want to pay for them...

Too bad flowers don't ship well... We have 8 lilac trees in our backyard that are almost in bloom. I'd ship some to you if I could... Of course, 7 of the 8 trees are white blossoms, which is quite the same as the purple ones, but...

starrynight
04-03-2004, 12:25 PM
I would be livid!! I'm sorry someone did that to you.

inarash
04-05-2004, 05:13 AM
I once saw a segment on the news about people who steal flowers from people's yards from the 'burbs and sell them to street vendors here in NYC.

In one particular case, one neighborhood was hit really bad - they stole as many hydrangea cuttings as they could from everyone!

Sorry to hear about your lilacs, I would be pretty upset too!

Ina
Proud mama of Lucy 2/16/02
and Ruby 12/25/03

sweetbasil
04-05-2004, 12:49 PM
How tacky. I'm so sorry, Karen, and hope your week gets much better. How sad for that person, that their day involved sneaking around and stealing someone else's flowers. Ugh.