PDA

View Full Version : I'm on one today

peanut4us
03-31-2004, 03:22 PM
So... as almost an exact opposing view to my thread about entitlees in the Lounge... i was so irritated this weekend.

Sara's party was lovely. I got to see julie (sweetbasil) and we had several friends pop in and out. We expressly waited to do her presents until around 6 because I felt confident that people would have left by then. Well, not everyone had and their kids wanted to "help" Sara open gifts. I told everyone to not bring presents, and only a couple did so (julie, she smells so yummy!). In any case, I asked the parents if they really wanted to stay for it and tried to explain to the moms that grandma really went to town and it might be a little awkward... they were like, hey she's only 1 once.

So we unwrap and unwrap and unwrap. Yes, Sara did get, IMO, quite a haul all from mom, dad, and grandma: LP Farm, LP garage, LP accesory for the farm (market thingy), a soft noah's ark quiet book and animals, an outdoor wading pool, an outdoor toddler chair, LP school bus, and a quilt from her mommy! The kids were wanting to play with her stuff.. no biggie but it was getting close to 6:30 and I really needed to get her fed and properly bathed for bed... Hullo the darn thing started at 3:30, I thought for sure he bed time wouldn't be compromised ;)

Anyway, so I let them go for a little and one of moms makes a comment to the effect of "Gosh, I hope you don't have any more kids or you won't have anything left to get them!" I tried to take it good naturedly. But then her DH added "Don't you think you're spoiling her? She's going to expect this kind of thing from here on out" WTH!!! Um, she's 1. She's not going to remember diddly doodah about what she got. And yes, it was too much, but grandma bought most of it, and I'm certainly not going to stop her. They would have died over all the new Gymbo clothes I had upstairs that grandma had bought the night before ;)

Seriously though, I was kind of bugged. I'm sorry if it makes you feel bad, but my mom is independently wealthy and Sara is the only grandchild... And I'm sorry if you have 3 kids each 2 years apart and your wife has never worked and you got married so young that you've been playing catch up since then. I felt like they were looking at me like "we have it all" and we don't. Our house is about half the price and size of theirs. And I don't want it any bigger. I like where we are. I like that when we qualified for our house, we consciously made the decision to buy only what we could afford based on one salary. And that has served us well.

So don't go disparaging my kid's birthday presents because you don't have the means to do that yourself. it's not like I tried to flaunt it.

I think i get testy with this couple though because they have also made it clear that they think that Scott should be the bread winner and not the SAHP. Gah!

Sorry that was mostly incoherent, but I just wanted to get it off my chest!

lizajane
03-31-2004, 03:58 PM
i PROMISED myself i would not go back to the boards today, but here i am... and i couldn't stop myself from replying to your post!!! those comments were RIDICULOUS. you have every right in the world to enjoy sara's first birthday however you want. now is the time to enjoy her presents because soon enough SHE will say that she wants this or that and you won't be able to have much fun just picking it all out yourself. so i am glad you and grandma got her all kinds of treats. ENJOY. don't let the turkeys get ya down!!

Sarah1
03-31-2004, 04:07 PM
Just sounds like major sour grapes to me. And they must be kind of unhappy if they feel the need to make rude comments like that--AT the party??? Please. My god, it's a FIRST birthday party....doesn't everyone "spoil" kids on their 1st birthday???

Sounds like they've got major issues of their own...don't let it make you feel bad! You have every right to enjoy it ALL! :)

kwc
03-31-2004, 04:16 PM
Those people are RUDE! "Gosh I hope you don't have any more kids...?" WHAT? And why can't they just be happy for Sara (and you)? You should not have to justify your choices to them at all... and as long as it ok with you and DH, your mom should be able to buy whatever she wants for her only grandchild.

And if they have 3 kids, they should know better than to hang around when it was getting close to bedtime...

ANNOYING!

Karen

barbarhow
03-31-2004, 04:53 PM
Sounds like they were feeling really inadequate. Is it it nice that people love to spout their feelings all over you at inappropriate times.
Sounds like Sara had a great party. Sounds like she got great presents. Sounds like she has a really loving family. Enough to make anyone envious.
Don't give them another thought. The comments were about them-not about you. Doesn't make you feel any better when they are making the nasty comments in the middle of her party, though. As if she will remember next year what she got this year. DUH.

cinrein
03-31-2004, 05:54 PM
How rude were your guests!?! So what if her grandma got her some nice gifts, and no you weren't flaunting it. It sounds like you tried your very best to hide it! Those comments were rude and just show ugly jealousy.

I'd be steamed too, but try to let it go and not let it ruin your memory of Sara's first birthday party. You and DH are doing a great job with Sara, despite what they think!

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

mamahill
03-31-2004, 06:29 PM
They're dumb. Period. More to the point - Ainsleigh got the FP farm for her first birthday and LOVED (still does) it. Next on the list - the dollhouse and minivan. Tell Grandma THAT.

And, if I were you, I would have said something like, "Thank you for bringing up a sore subject - but yes, Sara just MIGHT be it. Some people are blessed with a rich grandma. Others are blessed with fertility." Let THEM interpret that how they may.

How rude. Never invite them back. Unless they bring presents... }(

khakismom
03-31-2004, 06:33 PM
Joey, I agree with Barbara--their rude comments were not about you. I would have been plenty ticked with what they said. And it sucks that they had to say those things in the middle of Sara's 1st birthday party. Brush it off, and let them deal with their own issues.

And Happy Birthday Sara!! :)

momathome
03-31-2004, 06:54 PM
Joey-
They were being completely and utterly ridiculous!!! Birthdays are about spoiling - it is one of the few times of the year that Sara is going to be treated like a princess and Grandma and anyone else should be able to get her whatever they want - they are only young once, if getting this many toys was a daily event, then maybe it would be an issue. For the kid's birthday, spoil away! Happy Birthday, Sara!!!
-Lauren

celfsh
04-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Wow--that is so rude! We know people like this, and let me tell you they are not on our list of faves! Everything is a competition with them, so they are always comparing and finding ways to make us feel bad when they think they fall short. Don't give that lame-o couple a second thought! (Except to remind yourselves never to buy presents for their kids so they won't be "spoiled"!)

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02