PDA

View Full Version : Title of this forum

lag555
04-01-2004, 01:17 PM
I'm not trying to be confrontational or to start an argument, but I am very uncomfortable and slightly offended by the title of this forum. I'm sure a lot of people have no problem with it, but I am also pretty sure that there are at least a handful of people who are also uncomfortable with it.

Does anyone care to comment/agree/disagree? If enough people care, is it possible to change the title to something like "Rants & Raves" or "Pet Peeves" or something along those lines?

Again, I do not want to cause any strife on this board. I just thought I'd throw out this idea and see what everyone else has to say.

Aggie

Edited to Clarify: It isn't just the language that bothers me so much. I think the term "bitching" implies a feminine hormonal mood or cattiness that minimizes or trivializes the validity of a person's comments.

And yes, I know I tend to over-analyze certain phrases and expressions.

amp
04-01-2004, 01:27 PM
Not to detract from your feelings on the subject, but it has never bothered me. Then again, my vocabulary is not squeaky clean either! I don't mind the name of the forum. Just my 2 cents.

Marisa6826
04-01-2004, 01:32 PM
No problem here. And I'm sure it's a pun on "hitching post".

FWIW, there have been previous posts on whether "profanity" is an issue with the members here, and I seem to recall that the majority weren't concerned with it in posts as long as it isn't too gratuitous.

We're all adults here.

-m

leanng
04-01-2004, 01:37 PM
I can't believe how much your son reminds me of my own!! VERY cute kid! :)

As for the title of the forum...I think it describes exactly what the forum is for.

LeAnn
Mom to Alex 11/12/02

aliceinwonderland
04-01-2004, 01:39 PM
I have no problem with it. As someone else said, it perfectly describes what the board is here for.

clb0556
04-01-2004, 01:44 PM
I don't have a problem with it either. Yes, we are adults here. But apparently some of us need to loosen up a bit. Sorry, but it's true.

Janine
Mommy of Tristan

deborah_r
04-01-2004, 02:02 PM
It does not bother me.

BethS
04-01-2004, 02:11 PM
I am relatively coservative when it comes to language however, this does not bother me.

tinkerbell1217
04-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Doesn't bother me either. It describes exactly what I do from time to time!!

Kelly

Momof3Labs
04-01-2004, 02:46 PM
It has never bothered me, even though that is a word I don't often use myself. I think that since the context is appropriate, and it is not directed at a person, I don't find it offensive.

mamicka
04-01-2004, 03:10 PM
I don't ever use the word when speaking (or any other profanity that I can think of) but the title doesn't bother me. I think that everyone b!tches sometimes, even if they don't use the word.

I'm sorry the title makes you uncomfortable. I'm glad you were comfortable enough to express your feelings about it...
You just b!tched! (but you did it very politely ;))

Thanks!
Allison (Mamicka to Lawrence 6/17/03)

McQ
04-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Nope. Not a problem with it. And it wouldn't be the same if it was the "Complaining Post". Or "Whining Post".

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04
http://lilypie.com/days/040914/0/0/0.jpg

lag555
04-01-2004, 03:37 PM
I was going to put my message in the "Suggestions" forum, but ironically enough, it actually belongs in this forum.

In any case, I guess it is just me who is bothered by it. Oh well.

amp
04-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Thanks, LeAnn - We're pretty in love with him too!

lisams
04-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Some people have different tolerance levels to strong language, none of which are right or wrong. I personally don't mind if the title is changed, it won't change the content. Either way I'm happy!!

Lisa

deborah_r
04-01-2004, 05:44 PM
How about "Gripes & Snipes"? Does that make sense? I'm not sure if Snipe works in that context...

Calmegja2
04-01-2004, 05:52 PM
No, the title doesn't bother me at all.

It's pretty appropriate for what goes on in here. We could call it the "The Steam Room", for a gentler tag, but the content's the same, and as Marisa said, we're all adults... ;-)

deborah_r
04-01-2004, 05:57 PM
Aggie,

In response to your "edit", now that's making a little bit of sense to me. I can't stand if my husband says I'm bitchy or bitching at him, and I do get the hormonal connotation.

It still doesn't bother me though, because most of our posters are female, and we probably are a pretty hormonal lot, considering we are mostly at varying stages of pre, during , or post pregnancy! And it often is a place to vent or hormonal rages that we can't express to those in our "real" lives!

But I am sorry it bothers you, and I hope you stick around anyway!

skygoddess
04-01-2004, 06:07 PM
I've always considered the title to simply be a play on words of the term "hitching post," you know, the pioneer town watering hole where people tied up their horses and socialized. I've always thought it was kind of cute and fitting, and it has never bothered me.

Nancy

cara1
04-02-2004, 06:47 PM
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Although I will on occassion respond to a post in this forum, I have tried to avoid ever posting my own thing here. It does seem somewhat profane and does have a misogynistic flavor to it.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-03-2004, 12:51 AM
I don't see the sexism or misogyny here. It's the "bitching" forum, not the "bitches" forum. To bitch means to complain and it can be done by a man or a woman.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

starrynight
04-03-2004, 12:12 PM
I agree with you Karen. I always have called complaining "bitching" . So to me the title fits!