PDA

View Full Version : Sister-In-Law Screwed Us!

clb0556
04-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Hi everyone-
I really need to vent because I have been livid about what my husband's sister did to us for over 3 years.

When my husband and I were engaged my sister in law found out she was pregnant with her 4th child. The house that they were living in was too small for them and they were going to have to move. My husband (then fiancee) thought it would be a good idea to buy their house because the mortgage was cheaper than rent where we were. I thought it was a good idea (at the time) to get equity in a house rather than losing it by paying rent. We thought we would save a ton of money so we could buy a bigger house later.

My husband's family are avid do it yourselferes. To the point where it's annoying. Of course they did not go through a realtor. They went through a lawyer and my husband and inlaws did the transaction. My husband was buying the house and I had nothing to do with it...which was a big mistake. I trusted my husband would take care of everything.

Now let me begin by telling you that my inlaws are disgusting slobs. You couldn't walk on the floors without your feet sticking to the floor. So my husband asked them to please clean the house when they leave. Ok, so not only did they leave the house as-is dirt and all, but they had started projects and left them as is also. We have holes in the walls, plaster falling off the ceiling, walls half painted, 20 layers of peeling paint on the windows (lead paint), broken windows...I can't even begin to explain it all. When my husband confronted his sister with it she said that he can fix it himself...it's not that hard.

So here's the problem....we've forked out thousands of dollars on the house already and we're not even close to being done. We want to move but can't because the place needs so much work. He bought the house for $195,000 and the problem is that we may not be able to even get that because of the condition it is in. They wouldn't have gotten away without fixing it if they had gone through a realtor and now we're stuck footing the bill. Now that I'm a stay at home mom I have to think about how screwed we are day in and day out. She does not think she did anything wrong and the house "is in good condition". (everyone else thinks it's a dump)

I just needed to get that out! Thanks!

Janine
Mother of Tristan

deborah_r
04-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Wow, that is not cool. Sorry this happened to you guys; I hope you can find a way out of this situation. Good luck!

And remember kharma - she'll get hers someday!

McQ
04-01-2004, 09:47 PM
I'd be mad too. What pigs. Sorry I don't have any advice ~ I just think that really stinks.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

starrynight
04-03-2004, 12:28 PM
That is horrible! I'm so sorry :(

Eloise36
04-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Hugs, Janine. This is so hard!

Melanie
04-09-2004, 01:29 PM
That's terrible!