PDA

View Full Version : Girl Scout cookies!!

jojo2324
04-01-2004, 11:20 PM
What? How on earth can I be upset by Girl Scout cookies? Well, having eaten a box of Somoas, a box of Tagalongs (why oh why did we not order more??) and now that I am currently plowing through a box of Thin Mints...I'm a little annoyed by the quantities! I dunno about the other types, but Thin Mints have 36/box. The other two have less than HALF that. That's not cool Girl Scouts of America! Fill up those boxes, considering how rootin' tootin' expensive they are!

Difference is, the Thin Mints are packaged in cellophane wrapped tubes, and the others come in a tray. Tsk tsk. x(

COElizabeth
04-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Thin Mints may have more per box, but I have always found that that doesn't stop them from disappearing the fastest of all. :)

I am in a total suburb now with about a million kids, and would you believe, not one Girl Scout at my door, not one Girl Scout selling outside the grocery store?

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

Karenn
04-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Yes. A box of Somoas does not take long to eat. I'm ashamed to admit I've cleared one out in less than a day! But I want to know where those girl scouts are too! I haven't bought any cookies yet because I haven't encountered a single girlscout! I'm on the verge of a serious pregnancy craving here! I need my Somoas!

jojo2324
04-02-2004, 12:29 AM
LOL, there's always Ebay!! No joke, some are going for WAY more than retail value! I guess when you're desperate...And I would be there now, BELIEVE me, if my sister wasn't a GS. (Shhh...I just got my order YESTERDAY Karen, if that makes you feel any better. And I ordered MORE just to cover my bases...Oy.)

nathansmom
04-02-2004, 01:08 AM
They are selling them outside the grocery stores here if anyone needs any. LOL. I'm willing to go get some for anyone needs some or needs more.

bluej
04-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Oh don't even tempt me Norah! Our cookies arrived a month ago and let's just say they are long gone!

MartiesMom2B
04-02-2004, 09:41 AM
I agree, Norah. Don't tempt me. I'll be thinking of Tagalongs.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

amp
04-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Has anybody noticed that they don't even call them Tagalongs anymore? Whenever I try to order them by that name, my DH and/or the little girl selling them says, "Huh?" Oh, that's right, they changed the name to peanut butter patties or something. They'll always be Tagalongs to me! They are by far my favorites! Yum!

nathansmom
04-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Well if you guys change your mind you know how to reach me. LOL.

McQ
04-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Where were the Trefoils this year? Or did I just miss those when I dove into the Samoas?

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

Bethann31
04-02-2004, 12:26 PM
If it makes you feel better, they are still Tagalongs here in GA. I wish we had this post awhile back when my daughter was trying to sell 400 boxes so that she could go to Disney FREE. I have eaten my fair share this year, but didn't buy the 30 or 40 boxes to sell that I usually do at the end.

Sorry.

Beth

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
and Katherine 6/03

jenniferd
04-02-2004, 01:55 PM
LOL, this post made me smile, which I really needed today! DH and I were our niece's biggest customer this year...and it did not count the extra boxes we bought outside the grocery store, hardware store and neighbors! Too bad they are not tax deductible....

Needless to say, ours are dwindling too. What can you expect when a serving is one box ?! The bad thing is that DH likes them as much as I do. And interestingly enough, they are "Samoas" in some places and "Caramel Delights" in others. At first we thought same cookie, different name, but my astute DH did some "research" and discovered one has milk chocolate and the other dark chocolate.

Not that it really matters anyway, I eat them so quick that I barely read the box! I knew I should have brought that half-eaten sleeve of trefoils with me....

firstbaby
04-02-2004, 02:35 PM
This post is making me laugh! Last year, we practically tipped our car over making the fastest U turn ever so that we could go back to the GS selling cookies outside our grocery store before someone bought *gasp* the last box of Samoas! This year, we've gone through 3 boxes in probably as many days.

Has anyone seen the Simpson's where the tomatos and tobacco crops cross and Tomaccos grow? I swear I think the GS and Starbucks put something addictive in their products!!!

hellosmiletoday
04-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Where can I find these cookies...I have not seen them being sold anywhere this year...not at the Publix or at work. I want the thin mints!!!

jamsmu
04-03-2004, 12:04 AM
Want some GS trivia? There are actually 2 competing companies that sell Girl Scout Cookies. One is "Little Brownie Bakers" the other I don't remember the name of. Each Council (which is the regional offices) are approached by both companies and the council selects which co. to go with. This is why there are tagalongs in some areas and not in others. One company has tagalongs, the other had to give it another name. Also, depending on the company your council is contracted with, you'll have a different selection. They may offer lemon cookies in your area, but not in mine.

Also, because the bakers need to sell cookies year round, each local area has a different selling season.

I agree with you, we want more cookies in our boxes!!! And stop raising prices!!!

mamicka
04-03-2004, 12:18 AM
Copy cat recipe for Samoas:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/copy/cp1017888989.shtml

thin mints:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/516/Girl_Scout_Mint_Cookies36938.shtml

trefoils:
http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/G/468.htm

Allison (Mamicka to Lawrence 6/17/03)

em_jon98
04-04-2004, 12:09 AM
I cannot wait to move into our nice, kid-friendly neighborhood this fall to share in your agony. Not one stinking little GS in sight in our townhouse community. Nobody knocking on my door offering me Samoas or Thin Mints.

And I didn't see any outside the grocery this year either :(. Bummer. :(

sweetbasil
04-05-2004, 12:57 PM
Wow- they come late on the east coast...DH's cookies arrived around Valentine's Day. And they were gone pretty quickly (I helped, of course)!

votre_ami03
04-05-2004, 06:15 PM
I am a HUGE Samoa fan! I am not even crazy about coconut, but I love my samoa's! Needless to say my are long gone.

I have found that the Keebler Grasshopper cookies are just as good as thin mints, IMO.

Nora, Don't tempt us!

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

jbowman
04-06-2004, 12:05 PM
I have to say that I am sort of glad (just sort of!) that the quantities are a little on the stingy side since that means that I gain less weight this time of year. I love Samoas (which I recall were called Caramel De-lites for awhile--political correctness?).

I went to see a movie a couple of months ago and when I returned DH told me that a girl scout had been to our house a few minutes before and that he had placed the cookie order. I was sure that he hadn't ordered enough cookies, so I spotted the girl scout at a neighbor's house and ran out to amend the order (more Samoas! more Samoas!). LOL I realized at that (embarrassing) moment how much Girl Scout cookies mean to my well-being! It must have been a sight to behold: a crazy woman chasing a girl scout down the street!

McQ
04-06-2004, 01:31 PM
It must have been 1992 or 1993 but I went over to a friend's house and they had these AWESOME caramel girl scout cookies. Better than samoas as there was more caramel (my fave). And I remember thinking that I must get some of those next year. But I've never seen them since. And I was starting to think these were phantom cookies. Wonder if they were the Caramel De-lites. Hmmm...

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

Melanie
04-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Thank you! I love thin mints, but all their cookies have trans-fats. I'm going to have to try that recipe.