PDA

View Full Version : Help! New parents, feeding problems, GERD

sareva
04-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Sorry if this is clipped b/c I'm writing fast. I've also posted this under "Reality Layette," but we're desperate. We had a baby a week ago. It was a very difficult labor (including 6 hours of pushing) and it eventually ended in a C-Section. So I'm a bit out of commission and haven't had time to check these boards thoroughly. Our problem is that Zoe doesn't feed well (perhaps due to labor trauma) and has GERD (reflux). After each feed (every 2-3 hours), she has to remain held in an absolutely upright position for at least an hour, and at other times, she needs to be elevated at about 45 degrees (i.e., diaper changes, sleeping) or she spits up most or all of her feed. Her weight loss is such that this is a big problem that is being monitored closely by the docs. We've had no sleep, and we're at wits end. We don't have a lot of money and live in a small grad student apartment and had planned to use the arm's reach mini-cosleeper and change her on an extra bed, but this is proving to be very difficult. In fact, with the C-section, my husband is doing most of the baby care. We don't really have room for a crib but do have room for a changing table. Can anyone recommend a changing table that we can adapt to push her body up? Has anyone adapted some sort of co-sleeper to elevate it? Does anyone who has dealt with these problems have some novel solutions? We are so tired; we just don't have the energy to research these things ourselves right now. Any help would be deeply, deeply appreciated.
Thank you, Sarah
Mom to Zoe 3-28-04

suribear
04-04-2004, 03:04 PM
I can sort of relate as I had a nasty labor/c/s experience, followed by latch problems. Feeding problems are not uncommon with c/s babies. We had a great lacation consultant and a home health nurse. You didn't say whether you were nursing, but if you are, definitely get all the help you can! I used to nurse in bed lying down.

As for elevating the head, try putting pillows (or a wedge) underneath the top of a changing pad. Just attach the pad onto a regular desk or table. Our "changing table" converts to a desk with hutch for later use! I couldn't bend for awhile so I needed it to be at arm's reach.

It DOES get better, I promise. Soon you will put all of this behind you and enjoy your precious bundle. congratulations!
Kris

caleymama
04-04-2004, 05:25 PM
Sarah, I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. I did not have a C-section or a baby with GERD, but here are some suggestions I've thought of:

babiesrus.com has a crib wedge available for 12.99 (Safe Lift Deluxe Crib Wedge) that might work in the co-sleeper. It's 26" wide - I don't know how wide the co-sleeper mattress is. Also, it's probably available in the store if you are near one. I'm sure there are other alternatives you could rig that might work also. Maybe for changes, put a/some pillows under the comforter on the bed so her head and upper body are raised while you change her. Other people have had their babies sleep in a swing or in the carseat at first to alleviate some of the GERD issues. There are issues with baby spending extended periods of time in the carseat when out of the car, but if she's more comfortable there with her medical condition perhaps that would be a better solution. Since space is an issue for you as it was for us, if you don't already have a swing, we were very happy with the Fisher Price Take Along Swing (available at Target, among other places).

Another thing might be a sling for DH to wear her in. There are all kinds available on the internet. We had the basic Dr. Sears NOJO one from BabiesRUs and it worked fine for us. While you are healing it might not be comfortable for you, but she would be upright and he would have at least a hand free.

If I think of anything else, I'll come back and add it. Congratulations on the birth of Zoe. Things will get better!

ETA: I was just reading the reviews of the crib wedge before I closed that window and saw that someone put books under the mattress to elevate it further. If you're in grad student housing I would imagine you might have a few of those lying around :)

Marisa6826
04-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Sarah-

You can use any flat surface as a changing table. Dresser, desk, etc. I had a c/s and found that it made a HUGE difference if I didn't have to bend. There's no way that I could have been able to bend over a bed to change a newborn.

To elevate one end of it, take some of your handy grad books and put them under the feet of the furniture where Zoe's head will be.

I know that some of the Moms here don't bother with them, but I personally like having a changing pad. You can get a contoured one (Simmons is the manufacturer that I see most often) for about $20 at a Babies R Us (or even Toys R Us). They sell covers for the changing pad, but you can just as easily use a bathtowel.

A trick that I learned (even with having a girl) is to pick up some cheapo cloth diapers and use them under your babe's bottom when changing. Sophie had a knack for peeing during dipe changes and this saved me several times.

I know that money is an issue for you, but call around some consignment places and see if you can hook yourself up with a Pack and Play of some sort. A lot of them have not only bassinettes (good to 15 lbs) but also changing tables. Sophie is 16m old next week and I still use the PnP in the livingroom so I don't have to climb the stairs to change her all day. ;)

Congratulations and welcome here! We're all here for you ;)

-m

ChicagoMama
04-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Hi Sarah,

I have two GERDlings, so I can relate to how tired you are right now. Hang in there. OK, some practical suggestions (some are already listed in prior posts):

1 - if you don't have immediate success elevating the co-sleeper, try to have Zoe sleep strapped into her car seat or a swing if you have one (if not, check a consignment shop - we had the predecessor to the Fisher Price Aquarium swing - the right-to-left swinging motion kept both of my daughters happy with their GERD. In fact, Sydney slept in this swing almost exclusively for the first 8 weeks of her life).

2- when Zoe is a bit older, a bouncy chair may also come in very handy for keeping her elevated and upright after feedings. Sydney has to spend the first hour after her morning bottle in her bouncy chair still, and it's a lifesaver for stopping the spit-up/vomit. I just bought a nice Fisher Price one with a cute toy bar at KMart for less than $20. I say when she's a bit older (maybe 3-4 weeks old) because Sydney was very small, she was too hunched over in the bouncy chair.

3 - sling her! you're going to have to carry her, hold her, and otherwise be permanently attached to her for a few months. That's the nature of GERD. I recommend a sling. I also have the NoJo sling mentioned in the previous post. If you want mine, you are more than welcome to it. It's in great condition. Sydney has outgrown it and we now use a different carrier. I will mail it to you, along with the instructional video if you want it. People say it's not the best sling from a style and function point of view, but it may get you through some rough times in the next couple of months (it's a bit awkward with the padding, and babies outgrow it after 3-4 months generally), but it did work wonders for us with Sydney being small and just needing to be held.

4 - I elevated the head of Sydney's changing pad for diaper changes. Our changing table has a lip on the back that I rested the changing pad on. I think the suggestions above about the pillows or books under a changing pad are great.

Just a word of encouragement: I started to feel better after about 7 days with the CSection healing. I recall feeling like dirt for the first week, and the change after 10 and 14 days was remarkable. Hang in there.

There's a discussion board devoted to infant reflux at http://www.reflux.org - everyone there is either a BTDT parent, or someone who is going through it. You may be able to find some novel solutions if you go there. The search function in the discussion board works really well. Just a note- the organization is non-profit so they do ask that you join, but you do not have to in order to post or view the msg. boards. If you do join, they have volunteers who will help you research certain topics and provide you with some support over email - this may be helpful for you in the future if you start doing any testing or medications to treat Zoe's reflux.

If you need anything else, please post or feel free to email me directly at [email protected] -- I've BTDT and if there's anything I can do to help you (research something, give you encouragement), I will.

Becky

Mama to DDs Shelby 09/19/02 and Sydney 10/16/03

kransden
04-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Get a swing!!! I had a FP cradle swing, it was the only thing that made my dd less unhappy and let her sleep a little. It holds infants while the more traditonal swings don't work as well. Also let the baby sleep as long as they want in there.

I also had a pack and play with a 3/4 bassinet and would put her to sleep in it while she was elevated with her boppy. I know you are not supposed to do that, but babies aren't supposed to cry 24/7 either, which mine did. I was always right there to see her, so I knew she wasn't going to smother. Thre pnp really saved my back after the c section.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02