PDA

View Full Version : Its 5 am, why am I posting?

Vajrastorm
04-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Aaaaaaaaaargh. Just another sleep rant :( I should have had kids in when I was 20 - I was much more graceful about handling sleep deprivation.

Working on the second night in a row of Aine sleeping terribly. My IL"s have been here for two afternoons in a row ... could this be overstimulation? My FIL keeps the TV blaring the entire time they're here, and she spends way too much time in her jumperoo. (I try and limit her time in her ultrasaucer/jumperoo, but FMIL think they are just wonderful) The IL's get to play with Aine and keep her entertained while I do chores and housework. So I feel bad trying to say 'Less tv!" and "Less jumperoo!"

She's been refusing to sleep at a reasonable hour, and then sleepy really poorly after we get her down. When she IS sleeping, she thrashes about keeping me awake as I try to keep her asleep ...

Right now Ive given in and she's sitting in a vibrating sear next to me. I'm too frustrated to try bouncing her to sleep. She'db arch and cry and fight me, and after being kicked, punched, and nipple-pulled for hours, I've had. I'd much rather just let her be awake than bounce her.

I feel bad that this tiny person can get me so frustrated and angry. Yes, angry. I feel bad to even admit that - how I can be angry at a little baby? She's just being a baby.

The IL's are supposed to be here again tomorrow. (They visit from about 1 pm to 8 pm). Usually its just once a week but this week its been 3 days.

I'm just rambling. Forgive me. I'm trying to work off my frustration so that I can be pleasant and patient with the girl. Thank god she's sitting in the vibrating seat chewing a toy - sitting still like that is not her strong suit. Its been nice to have a few moments to vent.

papal
04-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Andrie... sorry you are having such a rough time. I think the ILs visiting could be the culprit. I know that everytime we have visitors (even if just for a few hours), Leela gets overtired and cranky and has a hard time sleeping and staying asleep. It is just the overstimulation from so many people talking and touching her etc..
Having said that.. when you said she is ARCHING her back, my first thought was REFLUX. Does she have it? If she does, maybe the dosage is no longer strong enough? Just a thought.

It is ok to be angry sometimes. All of us feel this way at one point or another. It is not You but the Sleep Deprivation and Exhaustion talking.

Hope you wake up feeling a little better. Take care!

jk3
04-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Do they have to stay until 8? Maybe if they leave a bit earlier it will be easier to wind her down.

Hope you get some sleep! =)

Vajrastorm
04-07-2004, 01:09 PM
The arching is only when she's being rocked - she's trying to escape our arms. A six-month old tantrum :)

They stay until 8 because of traffic reason. We live in So. Cal.

I called off the visit today. Baby and I are both wrecked. We need to keep things quiet.

chlobo
04-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Wow, she sounds just like my Isabella who has taken up night waking this week. Totally sucks. I feel your pain.

Hang in there.

kitmama
04-08-2004, 01:44 AM
>I feel bad that this tiny person can get me so frustrated and
>angry.

I know, doesn't it make you feel guilty? It does me- earlier today I looked at my screaming son and told him, "You know, I'm afraid I'm having some very un-mommy-like thoughts about you right now kid!" Just telling him so actually made me feel a little better.

Eloise36
04-08-2004, 07:06 AM
Isn't it just the pits when DD's routine is off? I feel your pain. It's good that you and Baby took a day off from visitors today. Hang in there.

It's that way too when we get visitors - DS is too excited to sleep and everything is thrown off. It takes a day or two to get back to normal too, so a one-day visit "impacts" us for 3 days. Just not easy being a parent sometimes.

GTG, DS is coughing and waking up. I am up at 5am too because DS has a cold :(

Vajrastorm
04-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Totally makies me feel guilty! I felt bad about admitting it too.

jesseandgrace
04-08-2004, 05:46 PM
I am right there with you ALL THE TIME with the worlds worst sleeper, a 25 pound ten month old that wants to eat ALL NIGHT and hates to fall asleep. I don't feel guilty at all about being mad. Of course we are mad, it sucks. As long as we don't take it out on the little ones, i think anger is a totally normal response to total sleep deprivation. I just remind myself how totally cute she is during the day and that helps, or I make my husband deal with it. He can't BF, but he can offer her comfort. I also use it as an excuse to sleep in every time there is someone else to watch the baby in the morning. I get tons of milaege out of that :).