PDA

View Full Version : Walking into an accident

darby24
04-13-2004, 02:30 AM
I'm new around the boards and now I finally feel that I've got a "good one" to share here. I was out with my 22 month old nephew and my mom this sunny afternoon. While walking down the sidewalk hand in hand (I was closest to the curb, nephew in middle), we near got nailed by a car.

This car began slowly pulling into an angled parking spot a mere foot from me, the male driver probably 18-19 years old. Though the car was driving slowly, it was still fast enough to drive up on the curb and across at least one foot of the sidewalk. Of course we stopped walking (I would have walked into it) and even had time for my mom to say a 'choice' statement to the driver. The teenage girl passenger even looked me in the eye before the guy slammed on the gas!!

All right so the car crashed into a dry cleaner, took out the big window and the whole window support beam, breaking the beam in half. We stood there in shock as the car backed away as if nothing happened. Of course my mom had a few more 'choice' words to say! Literally we were feet away from being crushed into the glass!

What would be this man's first words? "Oops", "Sorry", "Are you alright", "I can't believe I did that"? Nope. How about "Man, something must be wrong with my transmission." Yeah, sure. My nephew is in hysterics by this point and wouldn't leave my arms. What has really got me going is the reaction from the couple. NO reaction! Not scared, upset, angry, embarrassed, remorseful. Nothing. The girl ran off for a bit and then came back, and the guy's parents arrived. Not one word to us from the driver or his parents to make sure we're okay. You would think because I have a crying child in my arms, something must have happened!

My mom and I thought it over afterward and decided these kids must have been on something. Drugs, alcohol, I don't know. My mom swears the guy laughed immediately after they hit the building. I found it extremely odd that the girl didn't scream, become upset or even warn the driver that there were three people he almost hit. Makes me creepy at the thought of them being so relaxed over the whole event!

The one very positive note is that my nephew was not in his stroller! He would have been the 2-3 feet in front of us and I don't want to imagine what could have been done.

Of course my nephew did calm down when all six emergency trucks arrived with sirens and lights! The fire truck was the biggest hit and when we arrived home he had to get out all the books with fire trucks in them and check them out. We did give statements to the police and that was it.

I know this isn't as good as some of the posts but my nephew has now gone home, I'm finally not shaking and the situation has just finally angered me enough to post. Thanks for letting me vent.

suribear
04-13-2004, 05:06 AM
Oh my. Thank goodness noone was hurt! How could the PARENTS not react?? Talk about dysfunctional!

Kris

wdland45
04-13-2004, 11:03 AM
You are all so lucky you were not hurt. Your guardian angel was working overtime!
How odd the driver and passenger reacted the way they did. I would be curious to find out where the girl disappeared to after the accident. My parents were in a car accident when they were on vacation in FL. They were in a very wooded area. Immediately after the accident, one of the passengers ran into the woods and came back very quickly. My parents mentioned this to the police as they were giving their statements, so the police checked the woods. They found a small stash of drugs - certainly enough to get someone in big trouble. Maybe the girl in your accident was destroying/hiding evidence? Did the police search their car? Give them breathalyzer (sp?) tests, etc? I would expect they would after an accident like the one you describe. Regardless, thank God you are all ok.

Danielle, Mom to Alex, 12.03.01 and Brian, 7.27.03

COElizabeth
04-13-2004, 11:45 AM
How awful! I think you're right - they must have been on something. I'm glad that you are all okay and that the trucks turned the scary incident around for your nephew. Amazing what a few lights and sirens can do to perk up a little guy, huh?

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

darby24
04-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm off to see my sister now, she wants to hear the story now (nephew had a meltdown when mom walked in the door to pick him up of course!)

We did mention the no reaction and the girl running to the end of the street corner. Who knows what will come of it though. No idea if they did any tests on the guy, after waiting over half an hour for the police we were ready to leave! Of course the guy's parents arrived minutes after, but nobody called it in to the police for a while. And then all the sirens at once, too funny. The paramedics looked bummed, no one was hurt!

I was ticked off last night and couldn't sleep with it on my brain, it was nice to get it off my chest. Thanks for your thoughts.

Melanie
04-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Wow...you were so lucky!

american_mama
04-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Wow, what a good story. I used to live in Minneapolis, and there was one street corner where the plate glass windows of the stores were always getting hit by cars. One time by a city bus! But miraculously, no one was ever injured.

I had a co-worker who got lightly hit by a car on purpose, just to threaten her. She had gotten out to hold a parking space for her friend, and another driver came and started taking it. She refused to budge until the driver actually TAPPED her leg with the car, at which point she decided anyone risky enough to do that wasn't worth tangling with.

Not really relevant, but apparently people parking choose to forget that they are still driving over 2,000 pounds of steel.

-- Karen