PDA

View Full Version : Why does the volume need to be SOOO loud?

LD92599
04-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Why does DH need the volume so high when watching movies? I'm talking 43+ on the receiver...with DS asleep in the bedroom right above....c'mon....I can't imagine sleeping w/ that noise...and it's not a romance or comedy..it's action.

OK, got that off my chest! Thanks!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

C99
04-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Laura,

It's gotta be a guy thing. My husband keeps the volume down after months of bugging him. But my ILs came over to babysit a few months ago and the first thing my FIL did was turn up the volume to about 18 bars (I make J. watch it at about 8 bars). Was it any wonder that when we got home, the baby was awake??

Sarah1
04-13-2004, 11:00 PM
Oh yeah, definitely a guy thing. And don't get me started on the sub-woofer. It actually sounds like someone is shooting a gun in my house!

abigailsmom
04-13-2004, 11:38 PM
I just came up to our loft area (where the computer is) after having that very conversation with DH. D meaning something different at this moment! ;) He doesn't realize that if it sounds like we are in the middle of a sports stadium that our dd might be able to hear it because it's right below her room with a vaulted ceiling for the sound to travel up here!! Don't even get me started on when I'm trying to write papers or study up here!!!!

Men are nuts and deaf!!!

s7714
04-14-2004, 02:10 AM
Mine too. My peeve is when a movie is starting and he keeps turning up the volume a little more...and a little more...as if he might miss the first moment there is sound. And of course it never fails that when the sound does start, it's blaring because he's turned it up so much. I also hate it when I ask him to turn it down a little and he says "but it's only at 23" (or 33 or whatever) on the receiver. I swear he has some mental mindset that if the number on the receiver is low enough, the actual sound has to be low too. If that's the case, than how come a show can be at a whisper but a commercial can be blaring all at the same number???? You don't know how badly I want to put a piece of tape over that magic number and tell him to listen with his ears and not with his eyes. ;)

Sigh. Maybe they're just giving us practice for when our kids are teenagers.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03

LD92599
04-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Glad I'm not the only one! It gets so frustrating...sometimes you can feel the floors/walls shaking esp if the subwoofer is also turned up.

He says DS can't hear it....who's to say if he can or can't? But I know I wouldn't want to go to sleep listening to that!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

starrynight
04-14-2004, 05:01 PM
Mine does it also. He has no clue how I can hear the tv just fine on a very low volume and no receiver on. I told him it's because I'm used to not listening to it that way, he is so used to the receiver being on that he thinks he can't hear it when it's low. Drives me crazy!!!