PDA

View Full Version : I'm not interested!

jubilee
04-15-2004, 01:49 AM
A friend keeps giving out my phone number to salespeople and I don't know what to do! It drives me crazy and makes my hubby mad as heck!! I don't want to see the vacuum demo, buy videos, or subscribe to a grocery delivery service. The salespeople actually tell me that I was referred to them by this friend. She is not a close friend, but we do exchange babysitting services and we go to the same church. I don't want to hurt her, but I have an unlisted phone number for a reason! Don't give out my phone number, darn it!

zen_bliss
04-15-2004, 03:14 AM
"I have an unlisted phone number for a reason! Don't give out my phone number, darn it!"

Tell her that directly! That's reasonable, loud and clear... and way nicer language than I would feel like using!

MartiesMom2B
04-15-2004, 08:54 AM
Julie:

Yes I would tell her that your phone number is unlisted, and you would prefer for her not to give it out. If you wanted to be even nicer you could preface by saying "I appreciate you thinking about us when you get a good deal at *fill in the blank with telemarketer* but your number is unlisted. And also I've learned recently that even if a friend refers you, the telemarketer is violating a Do Not Call list.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

bluej
04-15-2004, 09:03 AM
I would be ticked! Like the others said, simply tell her that you have an unlisted number and you don't want her to give it out to ANYONE. Really, she shouldn't be hurt by your request (or in my case it would be a demand).

NEVE and TRISTAN
04-15-2004, 10:36 AM
about a year ago this same thing happened to me....steve's college room mate's wife who is a huge bible study religious gal gave out my number to some organization with conservative views (I'm pretty liberal)...
I actually posted it here somewhere but I told her unless she wanted me to put her name on every animal rights organization's list she better nip this in the bud!!!!!

I wouldn't think twicw about nipping this gal friend or not in the bud for this if I were you...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Sarah1
04-15-2004, 03:06 PM
I agree w/everybody...I'd just say, next time you see her, what Sonia said, or something like, "would you mind not giving out my # to any salespeople? our phone has been ringing non-stop and it's driving us a little crazy." Of course, church would be kind of an awkward place to have this conversation, but I'd still say something!

Rachels
04-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Yep. Tell her, and don't mince words. You don't have to be rude, but definitely be firm.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

StaceyKim
04-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Someone gave out my number to some sales guy too! She isn't even a friend of mine! My DH is friends with her DH. I was pissed off and I cannot even remember what STUPID product they called me about but it was...possibly a vacuum cleaner of some sort. We have a central vac. system and don't need a stupid vacuum DEMO anyway!
I never said anything to her even though I wanted to. I think she actually did it another time. Ugh.

Maybe you should give her number out to all the solicitors?? Isn't there a way to get someone on a "junk" mail list too? ha ha ha ha!

jubilee
04-18-2004, 03:03 AM
I hate confrontation. I talked to my "friend" and told her I wasn't interested in her giving out my number to salespeople. She said she wouldn't do it again. I hate how wimpy I am, my voice was shaking while telling her this. That's a rant within a rant though. But, at least she won't do it again.