PDA

View Full Version : How do all of these companies know so much about me?

deborah_r
04-23-2004, 02:59 PM
I was just posting in feeding in the pacifier thread about free ssamples of Pampers in the mail, and it got me thinking. I get stuff in the mail that fascinates me. When I was pregnant I started getting free formula in the mail. Hello, who told them? I wish some company would have send me a free breast pump though!

After Kai was born, I start getting free diaper samples in the mail, always RIGHT BEFORE he needs that size. Creepy. but convenient :P

And Gerber sends out those life insurance things ever since Kai was born - you know "if you really love your baby, you would get our life insurance plan. Only $1 a day (or some such amount) - hello, $1 a day is $365 a year, not exactly peanuts (the "only" part bugs me with any of those offers)". My financial advisor guy said there plan was not a good deal.

On Tuesday, exactly one month before Kai's first birthday, as I am walking to the mailbox thinking about our plans for his party (literally, I kid you not) I open the mailbox and there is a coupon for a free cake for my baby's first birthday from Von's (So Cal grocery chain). I'm standing there thinking, "how the heck did they know that?"

And Von's has been driving me crazy anyway, ever since the strike ended they send me a coupon for something or another almost daily. And last week one of them specifically referenced baby item purchases and home delivery for online ordering. That one I figured was because I have one of those savings cards that they scan each time so they probably track the category of purchases you make. I read one time that you shouldn't use those cards if you wanted any privacy, but I thought the author was just being paranoid.

So anyway, it just bugs me that they all know so much about me, and that I have reams of junk mail to shred.

bluej
04-23-2004, 03:11 PM
The one that gets me is at least once a week I get an e-mail that says "______(insert my FIL's name), concerning your ________(insert the town my FIL lives in) property...." Uh, why am I getting junk email (or any email) in my FIL name! Makes me paranoid that he has access to my email! Which I really don't think he does. Or at least I hope he doesn't!

But yeah, all of those coupons and samples come in such a timely manner don't they?

cerrena
04-23-2004, 04:30 PM
The phrase you are searching for is data mining. Companies exchange and compair data to figure out all sorts of interesting things about you and your family. Some suggestions as to how you ended up on the lists

1) Did you subscriped to any pregnancy/parenting services on the web that asked for your address as part of the registration process?
2) Did you enter any contests at local retailers for baby related products.
3) Do you have a shopping discount card?
4) Did you subscribe to any pregnancy/parenting magazines or newsletters?

I'm sure there are other ways. If you like getting all the free stuff then don't worry about it. If it bothers you then start being really parinoid about who you give information too.

MKH76
04-23-2004, 05:47 PM
I was really upset when DD was 3 weeks old and practically nursing non-stop and Similac sent me two half size canisters of formula in the mail. MIL was still visiting and wanted to make up some bottles with it so that she could "help with the baby". Needless to say, they were hidden away by DH so that they are not found in a moment of weakness. But I was pretty mad that they came in the first place, almost like the company was knowing that it was a hard time for us (C-section recovery as well as a 20 mo old at home) and was trying to sabbotage our breastfeeding attempts. (Which, FWIW, are going like clockwork now and she is 5 weeks and one day old today!!)

C99
04-23-2004, 06:07 PM
It's probably because your OB or your ped sold your information to a marketing company. Alternatively, if you've ever filled out a warranty card for a product, they often ask for extraneous information and use it for marketing purposes.

Melanie
04-23-2004, 06:11 PM
The formula and diaper stuff is either from your MD or insurance company. I was excited to sign up for our insurance company's maternity program which finished with a home visit from a nurse. Needless to say now I'm just furious that all they did was sell my name EVERYWHERE to a bunch of companies I didn't want to grace my door (for moments of weakness like you said). AND when I finally broke down to call to have them send the nurse at 3 wks PPD to help with breastfeeding, they asked me a million and one questions about the birth and then said, "Sorry, it has to be within 2 weeks." x(

Next baby, I will make it crystal clear that I do not want my name sold for ANYTHING.

Momof3Labs
04-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Motherhood maternity also sells names, addresses and due dates...

ddmarsh
04-23-2004, 09:01 PM
There was a book written several years ago about marketing, etc. and the male author signed up at several locations with a fictitious due dat and wife's name in order to track all of the marketing that went on. This all culminated in a hand delivery of a package of diapers on the front stoop on said due date. Needless to say he (and I think most of us!) found the fact that someone actually came to his house rather intrusive.

mharling
04-23-2004, 09:04 PM
Motherhood actually spelled my name wrong so I know EVERYTHING that comes because of them.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
[link:www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b370a2992536|Birthday Pics!!]

Momof3Labs
04-23-2004, 10:01 PM
Yep, they spelled my name wrong - twice - too, and so did some of the formula companies. So I can also ID the stuff they send, and boy it has been a lot!!

With all the selling of names that Motherhood does, you'd think that they could afford a slightly better return policy - grrrr.

C99
04-23-2004, 10:21 PM
I've never gotten a single new baby product or coupon in the mail. I didn't even know that names were sold until I read this board -- and then I promptly thanked my OB and hospital for keeping private information private. I also never opt-in for any lists and complain when I do get stuff in the mail (so far, it's been for high-end home-improvement stuff; never for baby stuff).

gremlin44
04-24-2004, 12:06 AM
Even if your midwife or OB/GYN office doesn't sell your info, I'm told that many of the major labs that do your pregnancy bloodwork sell your info (like Quest Diagnostics).

Melanie
04-24-2004, 06:43 PM
GGGRRRR...I'll bet that's why I got DOUBLE everything. I wish they had more competition in the maternity market around here. I found the quality subpar and the return policy terrible and to TOP THAT OFF they SOLD my name!?!

Melanie
04-24-2004, 06:45 PM
Oh YOU'RE KIDDING? Now just how is one supposed to stop a lab from selling their name when most of the time we have no idea who is processing it?

deborah_r
04-25-2004, 01:04 AM
I hated shopping in that store, the women were irritating (the employees) the prices ridiculous, and the wuality and selection were questionable. I only got one piece from them that held up well. And them harping on their return policy was very annoying. I will not shop there again if I have another baby. The fact that they sell your name on top of all that is just TOO much!

kijip
04-25-2004, 01:41 AM
Due to new federal laws, which we have all signed notices saying we have been informed of our rights (think back about 18 months ago), it is not the doctor. They can not even tell someone if your their patient, much less where you live.

kijip
04-25-2004, 02:15 AM
Here is my understanding:

The private company that most parents have those hospital pics from- Growing Family and their various competition. They have your baby's birthdate and in many cases your baby's name. A marketer's dream! Nearly all of the junk I get has my married name on it with title- ie my husband's name with Mrs. tacked on. I used this form on the picture order form as a joke and I have been getting a lot of Mrs. Joshua mail recently!

And many parents register with or at least but something from BRU- I am sure they capitalize on the info. I mean it is a gold mine!

ALSO- Most of the grocery stores use loyalty cards instead of coupons. Any change in purchase pattern linked to your check and voila they glean various things about you - like the fact that you now buy diaper pins, rubber tipped spoons and rice cereal. Now many people do not give the store their actual address etc to get the card- but they get if off your check. I have a friend in marketing at Kroger and they use the info extensively to offer promotions.

Also one baby catalog purchase leads to an onslaught of baby catalogs. My reward for buying a stroller, a sling and a halloween costume from Babystyle was every imaginable catalog- Hanna, One Step Ahead, Motherwear.....I know that was it because the name is the same. I have never bought anything else from a catalog so I know it is all Babystyle.

As for the timely arrival of sizes and products (like your diaper size) the company has the baby's birth date and can use typical growth patterns to predict your current needs.

Now I am going to voice my minority opinion here- I don't care if I get this junk! I use what I can and recycle the rest. I will happily take a $10 BRU coupon if I know I am buying something there anyway, I used the formula samples once I needed them, I like cheap photo coupons etc..I just open my mail over the recycle bin and toss out what i don't want. As for unwanted formula samples- TOSS THEM the same day you recieve them if their presence is a temptation you don't want. I was happy to not have to buy the stuff once I needed it and was not tempted to use it until I needed it. I mean, we live in a society that produces wealth from information. Why care if some of that information is about me? If others are bothered, I understand, but for me and my family I just don't care. Maybe it is the capitalist in me...it is the free market at work... About the mailed things anyway...phoning me is another story. I never give out my number any more and I still screen my calls. I have an unlisted number and once had the phone company change my number when they listed on their web directory in error. Hell, I often don't pick up the phone if it is a person I know, much less a representative from Scholastic offering me a book club membership. To each their own!

DDowning
04-25-2004, 02:31 AM
I generally agree with most of what you're saying. However, may I make a suggestion that instead of throwing out the samples, that people donate to their local food bank or church instead.

Momof3Labs
04-25-2004, 10:43 AM
They cracked me up - if you complained about the return policy, they would respond "well, it is the same everywhere". Yeah, only because Motherhood bought all of the B&M maternity stores around us (except JCP, Sears, obviously)!!

Momof3Labs
04-25-2004, 10:45 AM
Exactly my suggestion too - don't throw out things that you don't plan to use, pass it to someone who can use it. That's a double-whammy to the company because then someone who would otherwise buy a can of formula from them is using a free can!

Kieransmom
04-25-2004, 03:46 PM
It's funny because if I ever sign up for certain things via the internet I'll make up a fake name and when they start sending things to "Sally Goldsmith" or some made up name like that to my email address I know who did it! And it's crazy how fast it spreads.

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

kijip
04-26-2004, 03:04 AM
I concur- however my local food bank refuses to take formula samples etc due to "possible contamination". Hmm. I have no idea, I mean all of the other food I give and the food the money I give buys could also be contaminated. Anyhow, if I had formula that I could not use I would give it to another family or to a family in need through my work. Has anyone else run into this "No we don't take BLANK problem at their local food bank?