PDA

View Full Version : Mothers. Does it ever end? And why do they always sound like a recording?

chlobo
04-29-2004, 09:18 PM
So my mother and I have always had an uneasy relationship. She basically left me on my own my entire childhood. She had her own business that was based out of our basement, but I was basically a latch-key kid b/c she chose to act like she worked outside the home. So anyhow, she was not a model parent and I had years of therapy to make me "ok".

It doesn't stop her from trying to give me endless advice, though. She has been on a supplementation kick for the longest time. DD is exclusively breastfed but also a slow grower. She's 12 lbs at 6 months. However, the pediatrician is NOT concerned. He said she looks very well proportioned and he has never once mentioned supplementing.

Today my mother went to the pediatrician with me about a rash problem. DD has had a night waking problem, after 2 months of consistently sleeping 11-12 hours/night. So my mother asked him if he thought we should start solids (because if she's waking she must be hungry). This is exactly what he said "secondary nightwaking (which is nightwaking that comes after the baby had been sleeping through the night) is sometimes an indication that the baby is ready for solid foods". He also talked about what solids (single grain cereal) and how, etc. Somehow, my mother interpreted that to mean I should be giving solids AND I should be supplementing with formula. Obviously, if the baby is waking at night she *MUST* be starving, there could be no other explanation. And so and so [insert anectodtal story about relative who supplemented a baby who then got up and walked the next day] supplements so it must work. In fact all our relatives supplemented and started solids at birth and their children slept through the night the very next day.

Well this went on and on and on until the baby started to fuss. She was a little hungry but as we were 10 minutes from home I decided to just go home and nurse there in case she wanted to sleep after, which would have been difficul to do at the doctor's office. Well then I was inundated with how the baby was hungry and how could I be so awful and why didn't I just stop and feed her and if I only brought a bottle with me *SHE* could feel her *WHILE* I drove and they did that when I was a kid and we lived so what was wrong with that and whoever heard of leaving the house without a bottle (who does that?) and she bets I'm shrinking her stomach by denying her food when she's hungry and why don't I take any of her advice, after all she raised me and I turned out ok so maybe, just maybe she does know something and on and on it went.

And then, of course, there was the obligatory "why didn't you listen to me and become a doctor because you could have such an easy life now like your cousins". And she went on to talk about how my cousins are able to buy so many things and how our life could have been easy like theirs if only we'd listened to her.

It was maddening. I just don't know what to do. I finally said to her that I'm not going to spend time with her and neither is the baby if I have to listen to her endless harrassment. And why does she thinks solids will provide so much extra nutrition. She'll only be eating very small amounts for quite some time and will still be getting the bulk of her nutrition from breastmilk. Why o why can't she understand that?

pritchettzoo
04-30-2004, 12:31 AM
What a nightmare!

Can you train her like a dog (not really like a dog, but just as an example)? When she starts lecturing you, hand her her purse and say, "Lovely to see you. Have a safe drive home!" and show her the door.

Ugh. I'd have been so tempted to pull over and kick her out of the car! }(

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

Melanie
04-30-2004, 04:12 AM
Oh my gosh! How do you keep your mouth shut? My front door would have hit her behind long ago. Sounds like a case of parental-guilt, as in everything you do differently MUST be your way of saying she did it wrong.

I'd say reassure her that she did a fine job but you are doing things differently, but it sounds like you might be feeling like you'd be lying through your teeth. How about the truth? "YOU SUCKED AS A PARENT, I'm doing EVERYTHING different so my kid won't need thousands of dollars of therapy?" hhmm...a bit harsh, maybe? LOL. How about something like: "You raised your children your way, I'll raise mine my way. It's really important for us to be surrounded by supportive people and if I can't include you in that circle, I would be really sad."

Good Luck!

Marisa6826
04-30-2004, 01:30 PM
So seriously, did you consider just slowing down to push her out of that car or would you have come to a complete stop?! ;)

I'm sorry. I have a psycho mother from hell, too. I've decided that I don't have room for such drama in my life, nor do I want Sophie exposed to it.

All you can do is draw a line and force your mother to obey it. It's your house, your baby, your rules.

Chin up.

hugs

-m

chlobo
04-30-2004, 03:47 PM
The kicker was when she said "I hope you're not worried about the cost of the formula (and that's why you're starving your daughter). I'll pay for it".

Can you even imagine?

I finally did say that she wasnt coming over anymore if she was going to harrass me the whole time. Then I madeher leave. Not sure she "got it".

Marisa6826
04-30-2004, 05:06 PM
Oh good grief.

I swear, they all have their own boards where they come up with this crap and then call us.

I am shocked that you were able to maintain a sense of decency and not lose control.

You are a better woman than I am ;)

-m

wagner36
04-30-2004, 05:37 PM
>I swear, they all have their own boards where they come up
>with this crap and then call us.

Not to make light of this really annoying situation, but that made me laugh. I can just picture my MIL drinking tea and sitting on the "Meddling Mothers" boards reading posts about to make my life hellish....

Things like:

OT: How do I convince my DIL that breastfeeding is bad for the baby?
OT: Annoying DIL won't talk to me on the phone - how do I force her to listen to me about putting cereal in the bottle when she screens my calls with caller ID?

deborah_r
04-30-2004, 05:45 PM
>
>OT: How do I convince my DIL that breastfeeding is bad for
>the baby?
>OT: Annoying DIL won't talk to me on the phone - how do I
>force her to listen to me about putting cereal in the bottle
>when she screens my calls with caller ID?
>

OK, I have a sore throat and stuffy nose and it hurts to laugh, and I am ROTFL reading this!

Carren, I'm sorry your mom is giving you such a hard time. I know for myself, I have enough self-doubt. I don't need anyone adding to that! Stay strong!!!

Melanie
04-30-2004, 07:23 PM
LOL! That's funny! I think they do have places like that, but it's just on the phone or in person.

chlobo
04-30-2004, 07:40 PM
Oh God Marisa,

That was too darn funny. It really made my day! My mother suggested I somehow feed her the rice cereal WHILE breastfeeding. Yeah, right.