PDA

View Full Version : Stupid, frickin, frackin %$*#! strep throat!!

khakismom
04-30-2004, 09:18 PM
I have strep throat... yet again. I had it in February, ending up in the ER, begging to be put out of my misery. Then I came down with it again Easter morning. Great. Super. Well today I feel the same thing. I go to the doc and yep, strep again. I'm to the point that I can diagnose myself with it within hours of first feeling the pain. I feel shredded. I'm on zithromyacin, steroids for the swelling, and pain meds (ultracef, I think). But the kicker is now I have to have surgery. My tonsils will need to be yanked, which, according to the doc, is major surgery for someone my age. And I'm leaving for Florida and my cruise in 10 days!!

So now around the time my baby is turning 1, instead of planning her party, I get to be in the hospital having my tonsils removed. This sucks. :(

OK, enough ranting, I'm going back to bed. Thanks for listening.

JElaineB
04-30-2004, 10:11 PM
{{{Maureen}}} I'm so sorry you're sick! I never knew one person could get strep throat so many times in a row! How awful! I hope you feel better in time for your cruise. Sorry you'll have to have surgery. Hopefully that will take care of any future problems?! I hope you get better soon!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

kathsmom
04-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Maureen,

I am so sorry that you have been so sick with strep this year. Yuck! I hope that you feel better soon. If it makes you feel any better, I had my tonsils out when I was 26. I'll tell you my story. I'm sorry that it's so long.

I had one of my tonsils abscess (did I spell that right? ) when I was 19. The nurse in the infirmary at college made me stay at the infirmary for 4 days and diagnosed it as strep throat. Looking back, it was an abscessed tonsil. I just felt like dying.

I had the same tonsil abscess when I was 23 and I was almost hospitalized because it was so bad. In fact, the doctor on duty asked if he could bring the new resident in to look at my tonsil, because it is so rare to see an abscessed one, especially one as bad as mine. I ended up missing a week of work and was on strong antibiotics.

Then, I got it again the day I took my major national test for speech pathology (if I didn't pass, I couldn't practice when I graduated from grad. school). I was so miserable and ended up in the ER. I did pass the test though! Anyway, I was in grad school and the doctors wanted to get me well and immediately take out my tonsils. I told them I couldn't do it, because I had to finish out the semester and then I would have them out over Christmas break. They agreed that I could do that and if I would come back to see them once a week to make sure I didn't have a relapse. Well, my mom went behind my back and rescheduled my surgery for the following week, called all of my professors, and my practicum supervisor and told them all that I wouldn't be back until sometime after Thanksgiving. Keep in mind that I am 26 years old! I was not happy, but my professors told me not to come back under any circumstances until I was better.

I had the surgery and ate lots of popsicles, ice cream, and milkshakes. The good thing is that during the course of having the abscessed tonsil, and then the surgery, I lost 20 lbs. You can't tell it now though!LOL!

Anyway, if you need to talk to someone who has BTDT, please feel free to e-mail me through the boards.

Take care!

Imperia
05-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Maureen,

I am SO Sorry that really sucks. Why are they removing your tonsils? I thoughtthey didn't do that anymore unless you have acute reccurent tonsilitis? Best Wishes!

Imperia

khakismom
05-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Toni, that's actually part of the reason I ended up in the ER in Feb. I thought I had the peritonsular abcess (where the tonsil is connected to the uvula). The other part is that I had been on the penicillin for 48 hours and still felt so miserable and so in pain. I was calling everyone I knew and crying to them over the phone--I swear I couldn't take it anymore. And people couldn't even understand what I was saying because my tonsils were so inflamed. :(

And as much as I want them out, I hate the idea of having surgery. I have only had one operation (for a broken ankle) but remember the feeling of waking up from the anesthesia and the pain. It was awful. Part of the reason we are doing it around Ellen's birthday is my parents will be in town and I will have someone to take care of me. Sad, I know, but I want my mommy.

Thanks for the hugs Jennifer and Toni! I really appreciate them!!

jec2
05-01-2004, 12:22 AM
Oh, that totally sucks. Wow, your luck has gotta turn soon, don't you think?!

mharling
05-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Oh Maureen, I'm so sorry!!!! I hope your meds get you shaped up quickly for your cruise! And yes, I can understand why you would 'want your Mommy' when you have surgery. I'm sure her being there will help you a lot and Ellen's party will be just fine! Big hugs to you! Call me if you need to talk.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
[link:www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b370a2992536|Birthday Pics!!]

starrynight
05-01-2004, 02:40 AM
Maureen, have you had your dh tested as a carrier, or any other family you have close contact with? I know someone that got constant streph, turns out a family member was a carrier and as soon as they got treated my friend no longer got sick.

{hugs} I'm sorry you're in pain and have to have surgery.

khakismom
05-01-2004, 12:53 PM
The acute recurrent tonsilitis is happening at the same time as the acute recurrent strep throat infections. 3 infections within 2.5 months is grounds for tonsil removal.

Imperia
05-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Ugh Maureen, you poor baby! *Gives you popcicles and ice cream*

When is your surgery? I will be thinking of you.

Imperia

pamela mom of 3
05-01-2004, 09:31 PM
Oh gosh i feel for ya, i had it too alot while PG with #3...i still get it alot..

It actually landed my eldest dd in the hospital couple years back she got that scarlet fever? i am pretty sure that is what it is called.

I hate step! :o

~good luck and hope your feeling better soon! :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

smomom
05-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Oh, Maureen. That sucks so bad. If you need any help send me an email and I will be glad to help out. Will you still be able to make your cruise?? I know you have been so looking forward to it.

let me know if you need anything.....