PDA

View Full Version : I'm just so glad it's finally over!!! Long!

ivparker
05-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Ok, I never thought I would have to write a post here but I can't sleep because I am so frustrated. First with the good news. I am finally done. I am a teacher and left for an early maternity leave this Friday. I also will not be returning because I am going to be a SAHM! I am so excited. Ok, the bad news. Well, this is the story. About 2 months ago I did one of those Scholastic book orders for my class. I had three students return the order and they just threw them on my table without any name on them and cash not in envelopes. I think one did it first and the other two just followed. I asked whose order belonged to who and no one really would claim their order, well two thought the same order was each of there's since they ordered the same books except for a few different ones. I told them to go home and ask their parents. Never happended. Ok, background I teach 5th grade in a very inner city school. Ok, so how can they not know which one belonged to them?!! Well, anyway, I placed the order which by the way was over $10 short but because no one had any envelopes and I didn't know who it belonged to persay, had a sort of an idea, I knew the three students that ordered but not which one belonged to who, I just used my own money to pay. The order finally came in and I was able to sort out who had each book except for 2 books that were unclaimed. Two students said that they were definately not there's so the third said she couldn't remember but maybe they were her's, so I just let her take them. 6 weeks later, a mother calls complaining that her son was missing two of the books from that scholastic order. Those two books were the two that I gave the other girl, so I asked the other girl to bring them in and she did. Well, the mother saw the books and said they looked used and she wanted new ones. Now, I tell you, those books look brand stankin' new. I showed it to other teachers and they couldn't even tell that they have been opened. On my last day of school, she comes in complaining right in front of her son of what am I going to do about it. She wants her money back or some new books?! Hugh! Why is this my fault? Her son didn't put his name on his order, he didn't claim them when I asked if they were his, and she calls me 6 weeks later to tell me that he was missing 2 books and this is MY fault!! Of course now I end up having to buy 2 new books and sending them to her. My husband said I should just send her the original 2 books since they look brand new. She was just so unreasonable. Let alone her son is a complete slob and has ripped many of my brand new books that I paid for and broke this cool hall pass timer that I bought for $40 within the first month of school making it unuseable. Did I send her a note asking for money? Have I ever to any student?!!! No. I am so mad. I want to send her a note with the two new books. She probably will go to the board of ed. which I really don't care since I resigned anyway. I won't be rude or mean but just let her know that here are the books and just so she knows she is very unreasonable.
Ok, so needless to say I am soooo glad that I am no longer a teacher. Some parents are so mean and show no respect. I know from many of us teachers that things like this make us hate our job especailly in the neighborhood I work in. I spent a couple of thousand of dollars this year on my classroom and this is the kind of appreciation I get. Thanks for letting me vent.
Oh, the two 5th grade classes did throw me a surprise baby shower and good bye party which was sooo nice. I guess all the students had to bring in $1.50 for pizza and of course this one student I have been talking about didn't bring his money but continued to stuff his mouth with pizza. Figures.

Ivanna

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-01-2004, 10:45 AM
Ivanna,
Congrats you are out of there...how dare that mom...
this is late advice...but could you call scholastic books and see what they can do, if they knew the story I can not imagine them letting a teacher pay and re order books...if they did shame on them, the worst case they might sell them to you "for cost" but shame on them if they took your money knowing the sitution...

So glad it is behind you...you sound like you are the most marvelous of teachers, that school was lucky to have you...and your baby will be lucky to have you too...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

lrucci
05-02-2004, 12:00 AM
Ivanna,

I am a teacher also and I know what you mean about the parents. Some of them think that you are just a baby sitter and that their child is the only one in your class. I would have not ordered new books, especially when you already spent $10. Enjoy your maternity leave and being a SAHM.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh Elizabeth 7/19/03

ShayleighCarsensMom
05-03-2004, 12:04 AM
I wouldnt pay for new books. You did the best you could with not having names on the bookorders. He is in 5th grade for goodness sakes and he and mommy need to take resposibility!
Congratulations on your new job!