PDA

View Full Version : Rotovirus Update

Kieransmom
05-01-2004, 11:29 AM
Well, today was the big day. My husband told his sister that we would not be making it to their daughter's birthday party because they all still are contagious. And, yes, she reacted exactly like I expected.

First she told him that we were being so selfish and only thinking of ourselves and her daughter is going to be crushed. Yes, I do feel sorry that we are disappointing her, however, we told her we can rescheduele it for next Sunday if that was ok. Second, she gave him the "your child is going to get sick anyway" schpeil. Then she told him that they would not be coming to our son's first birthday party. (YAY!!!) And last of all she told him that some day when we have another child we will look back on it and realize how stupid we're being and then she hung up the phone.

So in a nutshell, she's really pissed.

Soooo....I'm going to bust on her because I'M really pissed and it would really make me feel better although it's not nice but I really don't care. Here we go...when her first son was born she decided that all the baby soaps out there had too many chemicals. She knew that she could do a better job at it than these companies so she decided to make an "All Natural" soap. Well, this "All Natural" soap contains Lye. LYE....I unclog my drains with it! She keeps telling us to use her soap on my son, it's much better for him. The first time we used it on him he broke out terribly so we had to stop using it.

Everything she buys is all natural and organic. She shops at the local health food store. Nothing wrong with that. I shop there on occasion. The kicker is that she won't eat anything with chemicals yet she bought her house in a town that's 1 mile away from an Oil Refinery and 5 miles away from a Neuclear Power Plant. HELLO!!!!! Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Thank you for listening to me bust on my SIL. I feel much better now.

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

mom2kandj
05-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Wow! Our SILs must be related! My SIL had the gall to ask me to babysit her DD today knowing that I am on day EIGHT of a nasty virus that I have now passed on to DH (he's okay) and DD (on day 3). Not to mention that DH, DD, and I all had PINK EYE on Mon/Tues and that DS got it yesterday! She kept needling DH to watch her daughter when he finally busted out and said, "Do you KNOW how miserable Rose has been this last week? Now you want to expose your DD to this stuff and risk having at least a full week of hell? She will get sick if she comes over here! Sorry, no!" Some people... :)

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

bluej
05-01-2004, 12:15 PM
Okay, this is so bitchy of me (and I really don't want her DD to be hurt), but I think it would be great (once again, not for her DD) if no one showed up. I mean, really, who's going to show up to a party at a home where everyone has been so sick and is still contagious? Other than your IL's of course. But are other people invited? Have they been told that the family has been sick? Maybe if no one shows up it will finally occur to her that she is wrong. But mostly...good for you for standing your ground! And for your DH for standing it with you (I'm sure that was no easy task)!

starrynight
05-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Totally OT but all bar soap has lye in it, not sure on liquid soap but when you make it yourself you have to be careful not to use too much.

Anyway she sounds like she is the selfish one, not caring if your child gets sick and then being spiteful and saying 'well fine we aren't coming to your ds's party then.'

And it does sound crazy that she is that concerned with chemicals but moves so close to a nuke plant and an oil refinery.Maybe she figures she is doing her best with buying organic and whatnot so that helps?? Who knows. Glad you put your foot down and at least you guys won't get rota, who knows if anyone else who shows up to the party will or not but it's nice to know you won't be sick for the next week!

momma_boo
05-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the update, Michelle. I was curious whether you and DH stood your ground. It'll be interesting to see if anyone who attended the party ends up getting sick (which I'm sure someone will, didn't you say that one of the kids was still puking just a few days ago?).

Feel free to bust on your SIL anytime you want.

Good for you for looking out for your family first!

winterwonderland
05-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Ok, this post hit a nerve and I'm sure its due to I just got done with a 3 day trip in the car with a one year old - but the jab at the nuclear plant just got to me.

My DH works at a nuclear plant AND we live within 10 miles of the plant. Does that mean I am a bad parent? Should I not have children because DH works for the plant?

NoMSG
05-03-2004, 08:15 PM
Umm...no offense but I think you're missing her point. She's not busting on the Power Plant, if you had read the post and the post with the original story you would understand that she's just venting about her SIL, the trouble she has had with her strong opinions and thinking she is "holier than thou".
I do not think being near a plant is the best place to be anyway.

clb0556
05-03-2004, 08:41 PM
LOL...sorry! It may be the trip! ;-)

winterwonderland
05-04-2004, 10:22 PM
"The kicker is that she won't eat anything with chemicals yet she bought her house in a town that's 1 mile away from an Oil Refinery and 5 miles away from a Neuclear Power Plant. HELLO!!!!! Doesn't that defeat the purpose?"

So where is that that she is not busting on the power plant? It is pretty clear that she believes that living near the plant is harmful and negates any healthy living that the SIL and her family practice.

You are entiled to your opinion on where I am my family should live. I have my own reasons for my life choices and do not need affirmation or acceptance.

PS - I fully agree with the poster that she has every right to be upset with SIL. I would be too. She needs to protect her child and family from any sickness and rude, inconsiderate people. I only had issue with the jab at the power plant.

clb0556
05-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Sorry, I agree with NoMSG. (I forgot to look at her name, sorry MSG!)I think you're being a bit oversensitive about it.

aguinn
05-05-2004, 08:28 PM
well, at least this is good news: http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/may2004/niaid-04.htm

;)amy

Kieransmom
05-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the great info, Amy!

Michelle

starrynight
05-08-2004, 12:08 AM
I'm not starting a debate but I would be a bit cautious over a rotavirus vaccine being good news. The last one was only on the market a few months before it got pulled because it caused intersuseption (sp??)*it's when the bowels/intestines fold over and cause a blockage* in some kids and one died. The old shot was called rotashield and it was recalled in 1999. And you get partial immunity from rota after the first time you get it, you might never get it again but even if you do it won't be as bad as the first time you had it. Some kids never get it so JMO but I would rather take my chances with rota than this one shot.

Kieransmom
05-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Just to let you know my FIL did not listen to our advice and he still went to my SIL's last sunday. He came down with the Rotovirus this friday! They never learn!

Michelle

Momof3Labs
05-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Oh, but what a great I TOLD YOU SO!!

I'm sooo glad that you stood your ground on this one!

bluej
05-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Am I a terrible terrible person if I admit that I smiled when I read this? Yeah, I'd be rubbing it in real good about how healthy you all are!

jec2
05-10-2004, 12:07 AM
Ha! I cannot believe they would knowingly expose people to such aicky virus. How irresponsible!

MartiesMom2B
05-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Does it mean that I'm going to hell if I laughed at this and thought "He got what he deserved?"

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

momma_boo
05-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Oh boy, do I feel evil. I'm sorry he got sick but couldn't help thinking, "VINDICATION!"

At least your SIL can't hold it over your head now that you didn't come since you can always return any comments with the fact that he did catch it from them.

Kieransmom
05-10-2004, 08:59 PM
It did feel really good to be right!

Michelle