PDA

View Full Version : Human Teething Ring. Ouch!

clb0556
05-03-2004, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure what to do and I hope someone out there can help. My 12 month old is getting his molars and he will not stop biting me. And he bites HARD! I have bruises and welts all over my body. He bit me a little bit when his 8 front teeth came in a few months ago but this is out of control. I am actually afraid of him because of the choppers! :-)

When I give him a hug, he bites me. When he's anywhere near me he bites me. No one else, just me. I give him teething rings, I use infant Advil/Motrin/Tylenol and super duper Baby Anbesol. I give him frozen bagels and washcloths. He still bites. I'm scared because he's broken skin numerous times.

First I started with a firm "No!" while shaking my head and frowning. He didn't get it. I did that every time he bit me. Then I called the Pediatrician. She said to take him aside, put him down and walk away. I did that for a week and that did not seem to stop him. I started tapping him on the hand and saying no today.

I just don't know how long I can take this...I'm going to need to go out and get a protective suit to wear! :-) Any ideas, anyone been through this?

votre_ami03
05-04-2004, 11:15 AM
Let me know when you learn the secret! :) Nolan bites me too, although not quite that often or severe, yet. He has all 8 front teeth too. He has bit my shoulder a few times. It seems he likes to bite both my mom & me.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

momma_boo
05-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Janine - no advice. Just sympathy. My DD has just recently started biting me as well. I tried to scold her on Sunday by saying NO really loudly and telling her NO BITING. Guess what? She started cracking up, laughing hysterically. Of course, I started to laugh and DH scolded ME!!!

I've just been constantly telling her NO BITING. DH says it's not getting through to her unless she cries/whines.

I don't know why she only does it to me as well. No one at daycare, not DH, Just me.

Dcclerk
05-04-2004, 12:52 PM
I hate to say that it makes me feel better to see that others are in the same boat, but I am totally with you. And I don't think that we are at the molar stage yet.... YIKES! I am definitely the one that gets the vast majority of the bites and I am not even the one that is with him as much during the day. The other day I couldn't wear a tank top because I had so many welts, it was embarrassing.

We've been trying to follow Burton White's recommendations which is to calmly set him down and pin his arms down to his sides. (Not so that it is painful, just so it restricts his movement.) Then hold him 15-20 seconds AFTER he starts squirming and showing that he doesn't like it, telling him "No biting. It hurts mommy." I also try to show him kisses because I want to give him an alternative behavior. I'm thinking giving him something that he CAN bite would probably be good, too.

Frankly, this method hasn't worked so far, but we have only started it in the last few days. And, I have seen a couple breakthroughs where you could tell that he was going to chomp and then seemed to re-think it, and just slobber :)

ETA-- check out these chompers!!...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/5354.html

StaceyKim
05-10-2004, 10:08 PM
yup, DS has started biting me too and it does hurt. He is teething as well and the same age (just over a 1 year old). I always give him a firm "no" and then sit him down on the floor. It hasn't stopped but he hasn't broken skin! OUCH!