PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't "I" get to call the shots on "MY" birthday?!

jec2
05-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Grrr. Ok, a quick vent here because I have to maybe brush my teeth before my friends arrive.

I have a dear friend who wanted to go out to dinner tonight for my birthday. Very sweet but I hate going to dinner with our baby. It's just no fun as it's his bedtime and he's cranky etc. So, I called her this morning and I suggested that we just get take-out and eat at our place that way if I didn't get my teeth brushed then no big deal! SHe said, great whatever you want! Great, I said that I want Chinese. So, all day in my mind, we're going to have a fun night and Chinese take-out.

Then DH talked to her and she said that they did not want Chinese. WHAT?! It's not YOUR b-day, it's MINE! I asked DH to mediate because I am just too tired to plan my own birthday and he said, I'll make sure you get Chinese. Well, my friend just called and said "we've just ordered pasta can we get you anything? So, for like the sixth night in a row it looks like I'm having pasta!

I know in the whole scheme of things this is so little, but dammit, it's my birthday and growing up on your birthday you got to pick the dinner!

Buffys Mommy
05-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Juliet,

Yes you should! Just tell her to get you some chinese food.

Happy birthday!

Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

mamahill
05-06-2004, 10:51 PM
Happy Birthday! And I agree - say, "Sure, I'll take mu shu pork and cashew chicken..." or whatever. It's your birthday. If she doesn't bring you your Chinese, send DH out for it. You deserve it!!

lrucci
05-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Happy Birthday. Yes, you deserve to have what you want for dinner on your birthday. Hope you had a nice dinner anyway!

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh Elizabeth 7/19/03

pritchettzoo
05-06-2004, 11:54 PM
Whaaaaaaat? They vetoed your dinner choice on your birthday? That's crap. It happened to me on my 21st birthday (combined with a whole 'nother novel of Murphy's law-type things) and I'm STILL pissed about it.

I hope you get some Chinese food. If I knew your address, I'd order it for you! :)

Happy Birthday?

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

redhookmom
05-07-2004, 12:02 AM
http://mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/birthday.gif

YES, you should have what you want for dinner on YOUR birthday!!http://mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/shake.gif

papal
05-07-2004, 12:10 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JULIET!!!
And that is total crap! You should get to sit at home, not brush your teeth and eat take-out chinese.. or whatever YOU want to do... it is YOUR day!! I hope as i type this, you are munching on some egg rolls.

Sarah1
05-07-2004, 08:38 AM
ITA with everybody and as Rashmi said...that IS crap! What is up w/these friends that they dictate what YOU eat on YOUR birthday??? GRRRRRR is right!!

I hope you managed to salvage the evening! You better get yo'self some Chinese food this weekend!!!

houseof3boys
05-07-2004, 09:16 AM
That is nuts. I cannot believe the audacity of your friend to allow that. That being said, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JULIET!

I would totally say something to your friend about this....

Gimme her number and I'll call her. :)

josephmama
05-07-2004, 09:19 AM
That sucks! It's your birthday! I have a friend like that who is a control freak and no matter what plans I've made she has to change them, even if it's very minor. Frustrates the heck out of me! Her insecurities can just be offensive! Sorry, I hope you got your chinese!!! And happy birthday!

lag555
05-07-2004, 10:53 AM
That is really annoying. Why don't you ask your husband to treat you to a Chinese dinner the next night?

Aggie

ShayleighCarsensMom
05-07-2004, 11:47 AM
I guess you know what to bring her for her birthday, CHINESE!!!
I hope it was a good one...doesnt it stink as we get older and birthdays become less and less???
I for one spent the whole day pouting because I expected the world to somehow stop and it didnt!

jec2
05-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks you all for the birthday wishes, I needed them. My day pretty much sucked!

Valerie, you cracked me up! I think Chinese for her birthday IS in order!

So, I had DH call and cancel at the last minute. I was just too annoyed to want to sit and smile at them while they ate their pasta and DH and I ate Chinese. Besides, her boyfriend drives me bonkers.

I had such a rotten day. I felt like Cinderella all day long schlepping laundry to the laundry room, a baby that won't nap, no clean bras, didn't even eat breakfast and for lunch all i had was a piece of toast with cheese, didn't shower or brush my teeth all day. DH worked all day and didn't even plan anything special. I did get a gift from him and Finn in the morning but GOOD GOLLY I wanted a little more pomp and circumstance! I didn't even get a birthday cake :(

DH says that he has things planned for me this weekend when we are in LA. but if it's anything like yesterday, I might have to find another family (just kidding, of course)!

amp
05-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Awww, Juliet, I missed this thread yesterday, but I am sorry your b-day stunk! Happy belated birthday from me. I hope the Chinese food was enjoyable in spite of the ordeal. Hope you have fun on your weekend to make up for it!

Sarah1
05-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Good for you for canceling. I would've done the same thing.

I think I'm craving fried rice now...:)

toomanystrollers
05-08-2004, 08:00 AM
HAPPY BELATED BD Juliet!!!!!!! I hope you have fun this weekend and get some more Chinese food!!!

dogmom
05-10-2004, 03:23 PM
There is a friend I have that feels everyone should have a big birthday thing. Going out to dinner, etc. She does not understand why I don't want to do anything on my birthday besides go away with my DH or have dinner with my DH. This is why. My DH is smart enough to let me have what I want on my own birthday.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03