PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have a bossy older sister who drives them craaazyayyy???

Sarah1
05-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Can I just vent for a moment about my big sis? We've been butting heads for YEARS, although we do love each other dearly. I don't see her too often as we live pretty far away from each other.

She is two years older than I (she'll be 35 in June; I'll be 33 in Sept--YIKES). We have always bickered and she has always been bossy and defensive. In her defense, I could sometimes play the spoiled brat role pretty well...in the old days, of course :)

She is single, and I think as a person with a relatively high-powered job she generally views my day-to-day concerns as a SAHM to be pretty trivial.

So, she is coming for a short visit this weekend and has already given me the laundry list of things she wants to do...go see a movie, go to Nordstrom's, Mark Shale, go get a pedicure, etc etc etc...um, hello, how about your niece? Did you want to spend any time with her in the less than 48 hours you're here?

The other annoying thing is that she just started the South Beach Diet, so her diet is very restrictive. Now, I am all for supporting her in this (she could stand to lose a few lbs, although she's generally in good shape), and I've already made sure to have the food she needs on hand, but I can already tell you now that she won't say, "gee Sarah, it was nice of you to get all the food for me. THANKS." Not gonna happen.

I think what may irritate me the most is that Sunday is Mother's Day, and I don't even think she has a clue. I don't expect a card or a gift, but it would be nice if she wouldn't give me a laundry list of things that SHE wants to do this weekend. I really do appreciate that she is coming to visit, though...maybe I'm the one who's being selfish here!

OK, I'm done. Can anyone relate??? Maybe she'll surprise me Sunday and break out a card. That would really be a breakthrough.

C99
05-07-2004, 09:24 PM
I can relate -- although I don't have a bossy older sister; I have a demanding younger sister. She is much the same, down to the complete lack of interest in her nephew.

doubleL
05-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Oh Sarah, You are singing my song. I could've written the first two paragraphs of your post. We are even the same age!! However my sis has been a SAHM for 6 years now and we have actually gotten closer since I became a mom. Being a mom is so humbling at times and I think this has helped us both. Even so, the woman still brought me to tears last year when we tried to vacation together. We just cannot live together... not even for a few days apparently. Her way is the only way, and little sis still can't do anything right.

Well I hope you have a fun weekend and a wonderful Mother's Day! I'll be thinking about you. Let us know how it goes.

Lou
~David 5.01
~Elisabeth 6.03