PDA

View Full Version : Overdue and Worried about Induction

jenniferd
05-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Hi Everyone...

this may be a bit long....

I was due on May 1st and have not had so much as a contraction (okay, I am sure that I have, but I just cannot feel them at all). Had the non stress test on Friday (7th) and u/s to be sure all is fine, and everything is great. Baby is perfectly healthy and is happy as little clam in there (well maybe not SO little as they are guestimating at about 8 lbs, 10 oz and growing). There are no problems with me (seeing as my PUPPP went away, thank god) or him...AND, it is not like I am in any rush to get him out....I pretty much feel that he will come out when he is ready! I am so not hung up on his size b/c DH is 6'3 and I am 5'9 and really we expect to have a good size baby based on our own size (not that 9 lbs is huge anyway).

BUT, my doctor said last week, that they will not let me go past 42 weeks, 0 days (which is like next Saturday), meaning that I will have to induce either before next weekend or on Monday, at the latest. The midwife thought we should have our minds made up by my next appointment (which is Tuesday) so that we can deal with scheduling concerns with the hospital at the end of the week.

The problem is, I dont want to induce! I really wanted to deliver natural and without any medication and induction sets me down a whole other path!

Any input from anyone who has been there?? I imagine I should not go against what the doc recommends, if it is only b/c of my preference, especially if their policy is such not to allow going past 42 weeks, but what can I do? I certainly would rather deliver in this mode than have to have a c-section.

I have tried spicy foods, nipple stimulation (although by my research, I probably have not done it enough b/c it sounds like it needs to be done for hours), walking, sex, etc!!!

I just dont think that I want to go the castor oil route and was not sure about ingesting something like raspberry leaf tea as I dont want to do anything to hurt the baby and really dont even want him to come sooner than HE wants to, but at the same time would like to avoid induction if at all possible....

If anyone have any suggestions or feedback, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Marisa6826
05-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Jennifer-

Can't say I've been in your shoes since I had a scheduled c/s at 38w2d, but from what I understand, the placenta starts breaking down after 42 weeks and the amniotic fluid just isn't enough for the baby to safely stay in.

There are several mommies that recently posted about trying natural inductions. Do a search for eggplant parmagiana and you should come up with a few threads.

Eri (aliceinwonderland) just had her babe last week and she was certain he was never coming out ;)

Good luck

-m

ethansmom
05-08-2004, 08:05 PM
Hi,

Not a lot to offer, but just wanted to say it will be ok. I had to have pitocin with my 35wk son (pre-eclampsia) and it all turned out fine.

Personally, I think I would have been at a greater risk for c-section if they hadn't given me pitocin (very slow labor). The nice thing was, since it was my first baby, I had nothing to compare the pitocin labor to!

If it helps ease your mind at all, my neighbor has been induced for all 3 of her children and hasn't needed a c-section.

I would talk out your concerns with your midwife, however.

Good luck!

californiagirl
05-08-2004, 09:34 PM
I was in your position, and ended up inducing at 42 weeks. At 40 weeks, when the doctor wanted to schedule the induction for 42 weeks and 1 day, we refused, and settled on doing non-stress test and amniotic fluid level checks every few days until 43 weeks. The Dr. was not happy but said it was our choice. Just before 42 weeks, an amniotic fluid level check came back low, so we ended up inducing at 42 weeks just the way the Dr. wanted to. I felt better knowing there was a real reason. I also looked up the research, and the research shows that past 42 weeks, there's no increased risk to mother or baby if you induce. In fact, past 42 weeks, induction may actually *reduce* the chance of ending up with a C-section. If I had it to do over again, I'd just schedule the induction.

Despite the fact that I wasn't effaced, engaged, or dilated, I went into labor on just the cervedil. Despite full-time monitoring and an IV, I spent almost my entire labor out of bed and unmedicated. Get good support people and keep standing up for what you want (they wanted to C-section 3 times, once 18 hours before I delivered a perfectly healthy baby vaginally in 20 minutes of serious pushing with only a mild tear!) But don't panic about the induction.

And raspberry leaf tea is only supposed to be a uterine strengthener. Bad news: it won't start labor, only hurry it along once it's started. Good news: there's no reason to avoid it. I drank it but wouldn't do black cohosh, which is supposed to actually bring on contractions.

StaceyKim
05-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Hi,
I was 11 days late and needed to be induced. My DS would have NEVER come on his own though. He was too big and his head couldn't even fit in my birth canal (it was off the charts!). I was induced but when I got to the hospital they said I was already in labor with regular contraction (but felt nothing due to the head probably not being engaged). Anyway, the pitocin kicked in but didn't help much and I did need a c/s but I would have needed one anyway! My DS was 9lbs 5oz and I am 5ft 1 1/2 inches tall, 105lb frame! My DH was a HUGE babe at 10lbs 4oz, so I think this was purely genetics!
I heard a lot of people go into labor right before their scheduled induction.
I wouldn't wait past 42 weeks because it's not safe for the baby after that. My brother was after 42 weeks and was what you call "post premature". He had lost a lot of fluid from being in there too long. I would listen to your doctor.

P.S. I took 5 mile walks and that didn't work for me!!!
Hang in there and good luck!!!

jamierush
05-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Hi I was in your shoes last year about. I had been having slight contractions starting at 36 weeks. My due date came and went. I was showing no signs no dialation nothing. It was frustrating to say teh least, my due date came and went and i had a few stress tests. I declined to be induced and my practice didn't encourage it either.

At 12 days, I had my finally stress test and also they sent me to a Biophysical US ( Kinda like a Level II) to measure how much amniotic fluid was left, how big (10 pounds )and where the heck was her head. She was head down towards teh end but had turned a bit and her shoulder was actual;ly now in the pelvic cradle.

The said tha they could induce me but that they recomended a C-section the next morning. I was devastad and in shock the next few hours, but I realized the goal of pregnancy was to have a healthy baby and it really didn't matter how she got here.

I had to go through a quick greiving process when i realized that i was not going to experience the water brakeing and labor.

Keep an open mind about what is in front of you, would be my suggestion.

Have a healthy labor and safe delivery :)

firstbaby
05-09-2004, 04:29 AM
Jennifer:

I was induced at 41 weeks and I also had the mixed feelings you are experiencing. But my Dr was concerned about the "quality" of the placenta after 42 weeks so I went ahead with the induction. I was so sad that I was going to go through my whole labor in a medical setting. What compounded my stress was everyone saying "Oh, don't worry - now that you have an induction date you'll go into labor on your own." It didn't happen and it made me sad.

However, I had a great experience and if faced with the same situation tomorrow, I would do the induction again. Despite their multiple continuous offers, I waited for the epidural until I was 6 cm dialated so I could go through as much labor as I could handle. Getting there took me 9 hours but once I got the epidural I was complete within three hours. After an hour of pushing my DS was born at 9 lbs and is perfectly healthy.

Good luck - I can imagine the exact feelings you're struggling with. Keep us posted!

Kieransmom
05-09-2004, 10:10 PM
I was induced after my water broke but no contractions. I know one thing they did tell me at the Dr's office was that they don't let you go past 42 weeks because of complications if the baby gets too big and there was something else...I don't remember what it was but it's not safe for the baby to be in there for that long. Your body does something at that point. I wish I could remember.

Anyway, unfortunately regardless of what we want in our deliveries they never turn out that way. I was absolutely set on not having an Eposiotomy. Well, that did not happen. You really have to be open minded about the delivery and it's options because when it happens you sometimes find that everything you thought you wanted goes right out the window. It's so out of our control. Good luck!
Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

stillplayswithbarbies
05-09-2004, 11:46 PM
we have to remember that we are the consumers and it should not be out of our control at all. I did not want an episiotomy, so that was a factor in choosing my doctor. I would not go to one who said that he routinely gives episiotomies.

After the birth, the nurse went to inject me with pitocin to get my uterus to contract and I said "no!" and instead I nursed the baby to get the uterus to contract. I had the birth I wanted, because I remained in control of what was happening to me.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

vikivoly
05-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Although for very different reasons, I was induced and experienced similar results. I also was not effaced, engaged or dilated and went into labor on just the cervedil. Although it is not considered "natural", it was better than the dreaded Pitocin. Some doctors don't even try this approach first. I would ask about it.

BTW, I delivered my first baby naturally less than 1 1/2 hours after removing the cervedil.

peasprout
05-10-2004, 02:54 PM
I was due on the 6th and was induced on the 15th of April. I was also dreading the induction because I was worried I would labor longer and might end up with a C section. Turned out to be the opposite. I was given pitocin, felt nothing for an hour, then the doctor broke my water and my dosage was doubled. That's when I felt it and boy, did it come quick! I had some pretty intense labor pains for an hour and a half before giving birth. Although I was on pitocin, i was able to have an epidural free birth with no other medications or interventions. But what matters in the end is a healthy baby. Good luck!

JP- mommy to Ally & Zach
(11/02 & 4/04)

Melanie
05-10-2004, 06:36 PM
My suggestion would be to do some research into the various drugs/gels you expect them to give you, before making your final decision.

Good Luck!

Rachels
05-10-2004, 08:13 PM
Is your midwife supportive? Often, midwives will be more comfortable with natural methods of induction (cohoshes, etc). You can also try acupuncture to get things started. If you are planning a natural birth, you'll have an easier time with a natural induction.

The other thing to remember is that this is NORMAL, and the fact that he hasn't come yet doesn't mean he won't beat their deadline. Hang in there. You sounds like you have good perspective.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sirensrise
05-21-2004, 09:07 PM
>BUT, my doctor said last week, that they will not let me go
>past 42 weeks, 0 days (which is like next Saturday), meaning
>that I will have to induce either before next weekend or on
>Monday, at the latest. The midwife thought we should have our
>minds made up by my next appointment (which is Tuesday) so
>that we can deal with scheduling concerns with the hospital at
>the end of the week.
>
>The problem is, I dont want to induce! I really wanted to
>deliver natural and without any medication and induction sets
>me down a whole other path!

i think first of all, there are a lot of other things you can try before getting pitocin. but what i want to say some may or may not agree. in the perfect world, everyone would have their say of how their birth would be, but this is not the perfect world. dd was exactly 3 weeks early, my water broke, she was only 6 lbs 8 oz. i still had to get the pitocin, after more than 24 hours of waiting (they usually only allow 12 hours, but i wanted to wait). i guess what i am saying is, no matter how your child come into this world, you are going to love him or her like you have never even been able to imagine. sure, go for what your heart desire, but relax, the labour itself is not hte reward,(i can asure you:)
>
>Any input from anyone who has been there?? I imagine I
>should not go against what the doc recommends, if it is only
>b/c of my preference, especially if their policy is such not
>to allow going past 42 weeks, but what can I do?
no one can make you take pitocin or not, if they would not allow you to go on, someone will, if that is what you truly want. and the way i see it, when you are in labour and are wheeled into their office, they WILL deliver that baby.:)
>
>I have tried spicy foods, nipple stimulation (although by my
>research, I probably have not done it enough b/c it sounds
>like it needs to be done for hours), walking, sex, etc!!!
>
>I just dont think that I want to go the castor oil route and
>was not sure about ingesting something like raspberry leaf tea
>as I dont want to do anything to hurt the baby and really dont
>even want him to come sooner than HE wants to, but at the same
>time would like to avoid induction if at all possible....
>
>If anyone have any suggestions or feedback, I would really
>appreciate it!
>
>Thanks!
>
>

mamar
05-22-2004, 05:55 PM
I agree with what people said upthread---medical types are reluctant to let pregnancies go past the 42 week mark, because the statistical likelihood of problems goes up a LOT past that point. Like, there's little difference between 40 and 41 weeks, but a bigger difference between 42 and 43. Of course you may see individual cases that did okay later on, but it's not a risk that anyone who knows the odds really wants to take.

I delivered at 41 weeks and 5 days, no induction, no epi. My SIL went to 42 weeks, had cervidil, and was holding her baby 12 hours later. She did have the epidural, but at 8 cm, so she was almost done by that time anyway!

I get the impression cervidil is really different from pitocin: it's either on or off, so there's not as much chance of a mean nurse cranking it up and up like I've heard of with Pit.

Good luck to you, and congratulations!