PDA

View Full Version : My Mother

sntm
05-12-2004, 12:03 AM
Sad that on a day when I didn't make it to work and Jack is feverish with adenovirus that my b$%^^ is my mother.

I call her to chat. She surprisingly is not critical of my decision not to take Jack to the doctor (which I did anyway later on.) She mentions that she finally saw Jack's formal pictures. Her only comment is "please, don't slick his hair down like that." Then, coversastion turns towards our passing through next week on our way to DH's sister's wedding, where we are also baptising Jack. My sister, who was my mom's ride, can no longer make it. Does she want to come with us or not go? *background drama -- my mom was horribly offended that she wasn't invited to my SIL;s small wedding. No, she's not going. What day are we coming through? Why do we have to be there on Friday? Then, she gets all huffy and says "Well, I'm going then. Goodbye." and hangs up on me.

When will I learn? I hope I don't become that way when Jack is older. I hate the idea that he might dread talking to me. I never know if Jeckyll or Hyde will answer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

pritchettzoo
05-12-2004, 12:39 AM
Well, you had my sympathies with your subject line! :)

I've made my close friends promise to smack me around if I start getting nutsy (okay, nuttier?) when I get older... And DH and I have a standing agreement to NOT be like our parents. We even have a code word worked out.

I hope Jack's feeling better soon.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

Rachels
05-12-2004, 07:51 AM
Ack!!! The reason you dread talking to your mother is that she treats you terribly. You treat Jack with love and consistency. I think he'll take your calls.

Hang in there. Yikes.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nitaghei
05-12-2004, 10:59 AM
{{{{{{Shannon}}}}}}

I'm so sorry. I don't get it - your mom refuses to go to Jack's baptism because she wasn't invited to your SIL's wedding?!! Unbelievable!!

And I'm sure you won't become your mother!! You're loving and consistent - I'm sure that Jack will always take your calls - and initate them, too! :)

ETA - give Jack a hug! Hope he feels better soon.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

bluej
05-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Okay, your mom is offended b/c she wasn't invited to your SIL's wedding? And she's not coming to her grandson's baptism? Uh, who's the one who should be offended? I'm so sorry Shannon. For what it's worth, I think Jack looks adorable with his hair slicked down! Especially since he was in formal attire! Have a safe trip next week and enjoy handsome Jack's baptism (slick his hair down extra good and give your mom huge 11x14's to display!)!

papal
05-12-2004, 01:33 PM
WHAT!!! So your mom is mad at YOU for not being invited to your SIL's wedding?? And so she is not coming for Jack's baptism? That is so crazy Shannon! I am so sorry.. i hope she will change her mind.. maybe you caught her in a bad mood or something... that behaiour is inexplicable!
And as far as the slicked down hair is concerned... she is totally wrong.. Jack looked absolutely positively delicious with his hair like that.. just wanted to reach into the picture and eat him. Make sure you slick it down REALLY well when your mom arrives for the baptism!! ;)
And I hope little happy Jack feels better soon!!

candybomiller
05-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Shannon,

I'm really sorry to hear that Jack isn't feeling well. Give him lots of "nuggles" from Matt!

I'm really, really sorry to hear about your mom. I lost my mom less than 2 years ago, and honestly when people complain about their parents/inlaws, etc, I just want to shake them and tell them to cherish what they have. But it really sounds like your mom is kind of a bee-atch. You don't need someone like that in your life.

Keep your chin up, and we all know that Jack is absolutely adorable no matter what happens with his hair!! :)

mamahill
05-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Ppppbbbbbthhhh to your mom. Thank your mom for teaching you how NOT to behave. Have a good time - Jack looks ADORABLE with slicked hair.

suribear
05-12-2004, 09:14 PM
I'm sorry you're going through that.

Sounds like she's a negative person. My mom is like that, too, and I've distanced myself from her. She usually complains about my kid's portraits, though they always come out really well. She will focus on one thing and keep ON and ON about it. She does that for everything else.. drives me nuts!

Remember, we are NOT our moms. We know better and will not repeat their mistakes! In fact, I probably overdo it with my kids, but then again, there's no such thing as too many hugs, right? :)

Kris

sntm
05-13-2004, 01:03 PM
the sad thing is, she is a really awesome person. she was a great mom. after she became legally blind (still can see but not well enough to drive, hold a job, etc.) she;s become totally insulated. she lives alone with a little dog that she is obsessed with and is becoming a crazy old lady. i'm actually dreading stopping at her house on the drive to my ILs, and DH would be delighted to skip it all together.

btw, jack's fever is finally down from 103.5 to 100.5. cross your fingers it's below 100 tomorrow because i really have to go to work!
shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

MamaKath
05-13-2004, 10:14 PM
{{{{Hugs}}}} to Jack, hope the fever keeps going down and you are back to your sweet, jolly self!!!

{{{{Hugs}}}} to you, it is hard to watch your parents age and wonder if that is "normal" knowing clearly it is not. I am noticing my mother get "sharp" in many of her tones lately, and I wonder if it is not age in many ways. Anyway it stinks to catch the brunt of it, especially when it is not things that are really under your complete control.

sntm
05-14-2004, 12:13 PM
must update on one area:
jack is fine, afebrile, back at daycare.
of course, I now have caught his pinkeye! Not making for the best day at work!
shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03