PDA

View Full Version : Someone stole her hat!!!!!

egoldber
05-12-2004, 11:42 PM
I have just been seething about this all day! We went to the grocery store this morning, and Sarah decided she needed to wear a hat for the occasion. She wore it for awhile and then threw it into the cart. I saw it in the cart when I left the cart with the groceries outside the store to pull the car around to pick up the groceries.

I'm sitting at the traffic light to pull out of the parking lot and I think "Crap! The hat!" I immediately pull back around to the store to get the hat. It couldn't have been more than 1-2 minutes AT THE MOST. And the hat was gone!! I checked all the carts outside the store. I then go in the store and ask at the lost and found. No one has turned it in, and the woman even helped me search all the carts IN the store to see if someone was using the cart with the hat in it. (It was Trader Joe's, so it wasn't that large of a store...)

I called later this afternoon and the hat still had not been turned in. I am convinced someone stole the hat out of the cart while I went to get the car to pull it around. If it had still been in the cart when I loaded the groceries, I'm positive I would have seen it there.

And it was her BIRTHDAY hat! :( :( :( From her second birthday. AND we have the matching purse that is going to make me crazy now every time I see it.

WHO WOULD STEAL A CHILD'S HAT????????????

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/5951.jpg

redhookmom
05-13-2004, 12:17 AM
A creep!

Your daughter is beutiful.

jec2
05-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Oh, sadness :( I'm sorry. She looks so darn cute in it too! And, the darn aggivation of still having the purse remind you of such a great loss. Oh, that just sucks!

JElaineB
05-13-2004, 12:19 AM
Oh, that sucks!! :( She looks so cute in her hat and matching purse! I wouldn't doubt someone stole it. Around here, we at least have "drive-up" at some grocery stores where a bagger watches your cart for you then loads the bags into your car once you drive up. Too bad you can't leave your cart for a second apparently! Sorry about the hat!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

pritchettzoo
05-13-2004, 12:34 AM
I hope the thief's hair all falls out!

Where did you get it? Maybe we can all be on the prowl for a replacement hat?

She is too, too cute! I think we have that dress in turquoise and lime (Lands End?). What a sweet little girl--she looks so happy! Evil hat thief! }(

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

Melanie
05-13-2004, 03:12 AM
How rotten. Stories like this (i.e. stolen bikes, wagons, etc.) never cease to amaze me.

Sarah looks adorable, though.

papal
05-13-2004, 09:04 AM
I would be seething too!!! What kind of a heartless person steals a child's hat??! That is beyond mean. Where did you get the hat and purse, Beth? Maybe we could all hunt down a replacement.

And btw, Miss Sarah is looking absolutely adorable in that picture Beth!!! Oh my goodness!! I love that she is such a girlie girl and likes to play with hats and scarves and purses.. i hope dd is becomes like that too. :)

m448
05-13-2004, 10:39 AM
boy can I sympathize. We were at the grocery store with Ian in his cute gap bucket sun hat which took me forever to find a style like that. I walk out to the car and realized the hat had fallen out of my diaper bag. Retraced my steps - nothing.

Left my number at the lost&found and haven't heard anything. I didn't expect to so I bought another one but I can't stand the thought.

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-13-2004, 10:54 AM
This might have been said already but almost all grocery stores have a bullitin board I would post this adorable picture there and ask folks to call if they have it :)....

I would give them a cell number or something so cute picture and your home number (where an address can be obtained) are not noted :)...

Just say "please return to office"
and mention it was a birthday present...

Anser to your question...no I never ever would have taken a child's hat...I would be upset too...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

egoldber
05-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Yes, its an LE dress. :) And we got the hat and purse at The Childrens Place last summer on clearance. It wasn't the money, the hat and purse together were only $8, but I just adore them. And her little friend has the same ones in pink and they wear them together and are SOOOOO cute. I think that these items were her favs from her birthday last year!

mamahill
05-13-2004, 11:38 AM
How RUDE!!!! I am so sorry. Poor Sarah. I hope the perp loses all their taste buds.

amp
05-13-2004, 11:42 AM
What is wrong with people? How do they live with themselves? It's bad enough to be a thief, but also to take something from a little girl! Sheesh!

Rachels
05-13-2004, 02:44 PM
WHAAAAAAAT?! People can be outrageous. That sucks.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

toomanystrollers
05-13-2004, 03:04 PM
That just stinks!!!!!!!! She looks so darn cute in it :)

smomom
05-13-2004, 05:06 PM
That sucks! She looks so darn cute in it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will somehow find its way home.

candybomiller
05-13-2004, 05:23 PM
I am outraged! She looks absolutely adorable with her hat and purse. A pox on the thief!

brubeck
05-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Beth have you searched the TCP outlets? I have often found stuff there that is more than a year old. In fact about a year ago I got Amy a hat there that she LOVES. I was deathly afraid of lising it and when I saw another one there in December I snatched it up! And it was only 6 cents too! :)

If you don't have a TCP outlet near you LMK and next time I'm at ours I'll look for you.

atlbaby
05-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Oh Beth, that's awful! I can't believe someone would steal a little girl's hat!!! I hope you can find a similar one to match the purse. Sarah looks so adorable in that picture!!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
and Daliya Samantha, 10/27/03

egoldber
05-13-2004, 08:56 PM
Helen, I don't have one very near me. If you could find one, I would be ever grateful!!!

MamaKath
05-13-2004, 09:34 PM
Oh Beth that is awful!! We had a similar incident with dd's favorite stuffed dog as a baby. We took a walk in our neighborhood for about 30 minutes and she must have thrown it out. We retraced our steps immediately- nothing. Made up posters- nothing. It was awful! We found another one at a shop, but it wasn't the same. My step dad had named it before he was unable to speak due to cancer, and it just breaks my heart still (5 years later). :-( Hugs for you and Sarah! Hopefully someone will find one at their local TCP. Maybe call around to the different outlets or email.

Sad world we live in eh?

candybomiller
05-13-2004, 10:51 PM
This is really weird, and probably just me, but I would never steal a hat. What if the last kid who was wearing it had lice???!

jubilee
05-14-2004, 03:50 AM
That is awful! Was Sarah really upset? She looks so precious in the picture, the hat is very cute!

sntm
05-14-2004, 12:15 PM
beth, that's awful. she looks so cute in that hat. of course, i wouldn't be surprised if it was just someone too lazy to take that hat inside who threw it away. sad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

votre_ami03
05-14-2004, 01:54 PM
That pic of Sarah is too cute! Sorry about the hat.

Happy to say not everyone is a hat stealer. :) I was at TJM the other day & as soon as I got to the car I noticed we were missing Nolan's B-ball hat. I came back inside, searched every inch of the store & nada, I was miffed. Just as I was about to ask at CS, I see our hat sitting on the counter. Shewww! Some nice sole found it & sat it up there. It was a happy day.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

Momof3Labs
05-14-2004, 04:00 PM
How frustrating!! I checked our TCP outlet today and they didn't have ANY hats, but I'll keep an eye out for one!

pritchettzoo
05-14-2004, 05:09 PM
I checked the outlet near us today and there weren't any. :(

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

Sarah1
05-14-2004, 05:51 PM
I think you are absolutely right, Beth, that someone stole Sarah's hat...and that is VICIOUS! It's such a shame, too, since she looks scrumptious :) with it on.

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine at the zoo. Her DD's stuffed animal fell out of her stroller. A few minutes later, she saw a kid holding THE EXACT SAME BEAR that had just dropped out of her kid's stroller (there were identifying characteristics that made it clear it was definitely *her* bear!). She asked the woman point blank if she had found the teddy bear, and the woman lied through her teeth. My friend was seething as well!

People can be such slime! It's terrible.

egoldber
05-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Thanks for looking!!!

Vajrastorm
05-14-2004, 10:06 PM
>I think you are absolutely right, Beth, that someone stole
>Sarah's hat...and that is VICIOUS! It's such a shame, too,
>since she looks scrumptious :) with it on.
>
>A similar thing happened to a friend of mine at the zoo. Her
>DD's stuffed animal fell out of her stroller. A few minutes
>later, she saw a kid holding THE EXACT SAME BEAR that had just
>dropped out of her kid's stroller (there were identifying
>characteristics that made it clear it was definitely *her*
>bear!). She asked the woman point blank if she had found the
>teddy bear, and the woman lied through her teeth. My friend
>was seething as well!
>
>People can be such slime! It's terrible.

She should have snatched it back!!! }( Stealing a child's teddy!!!!

gour0
05-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Okay, these aren't as cute, but maybe you could make do.

http://tinyurl.com/35wab

http://i21.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/91/58/a9_2.JPG

http://tinyurl.com/39km7

http://i13.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/91/cd/69_2.JPG

at least they'd still match....

Or, this is cute:
http://tinyurl.com/yvda6

http://i20.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/d1/10/2d_1_b.JPG

or these:
http://tinyurl.com/2bd3x

http://i15.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/c8/ad/fa_2.JPG

zen_bliss
05-17-2004, 01:38 AM
grrrr!!! i am SEETHING with you.

so, after reading this post, it happened to us this weekend, too! @#&#*@!
it's the second time this has happened in my neighborhood --- which is NOT populated with many kids, just old russians and gay men. in the 15 minutes it takes to walk around the block to the post office, i realized her little headkerchief was gone (which matches her *brand new* dress) and we IMMEDIATELY went back to look: DH on bike for speed, me with stroller and friend for another set of eyes to look on brick walls, along curbs, in trees. it was GONE. what kind of freakshow takes a wee baby kerchief? i mean, it wasn't that far, if someone found it on the sidewalk and looked up they would have seen us as the only stroller in sight. yaaaaaarrrgh. the other time it happened was when she was just a few weeks old with a teeny baby wrap i 'made' by finishing the edges of a yardsale cashmere sweater i cut up. why would anyone take this stuff when it's obviously for a little baby? arrgghhh.

and about that person with the 'no, we didn't just find this' stuffed animal at the zoo... triple grrrrrr! i guess the answer is to mark toys somewhere secret with a telltale sign as 'proof' in case you encounter a bonehead who won't give it back. that is just maddening!

atlbaby
05-17-2004, 10:46 AM
Awww, that's too bad! Did you at least get a picture of her in the dress and kerchief before it was stolen? I bet she looked so cute in it.

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
and Daliya Samantha, 10/27/03

smomom
05-19-2004, 10:28 AM
none at my outlet either. :-(

starrynight
05-25-2004, 06:26 PM
That is awful :(. We lost a really cute gymbo hat when ds was a baby, similar situation. I can't believe some people.

She looks adorable in it and having the purse still must stink :(.