PDA

View Full Version : Someone's dog is pooping in my yard

lukkykatt
05-20-2004, 11:33 PM
And it is really ticking me off. It doesn't happen all the time - maybe once every 1 or 2 weeks. But what really infuriates me is that everyone on the street knows that we have 2 little kids. Who would let their dog poop in the yard and not pick it up, knowing that little boys play in the there? What is that thought process?

Our neighborhood association has little reminder signs that you can put in your yard to remind people to pick up. Do you think this is too hostile or drastic? Am I overreacting and should just pick up the poop as the normal way of life in the 'burbs?

Just trying to get a reality check here. What is "normal"? I just don't think I should have to scan my yard every time the boys go out to play. What do you think?

smkinc
05-21-2004, 02:58 AM
I'd get the signs. Whoever is allowing their dog to do this is not being a responsible pet owner. We had this problem as well and finally whenever DH would witness anyone with a dog letting the dog poop in any neighbor's lawn, he would go up to them and kindly (and non-confrontationally) remind them of this. Something like--"Please pick up your dog's poop, there are a lot of children in the neighborhood and when you don't pick it up, it can create a big mess for someone else." No one got offended, and it stopped the dog poop from showing up in our yard also. We do live in a pretty civil neighborhood, so this may not work for everyone else.

HTH,
Mary
Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03
and our 'first' Curie (6 year old Golden Retriever)

chlobo
05-21-2004, 07:11 AM
I'm probably in the minority here but I think anytime someone allows a dog to poop on another's personal property its just bad, regardless of the presence of children.

Someone on our street lets their dog poop right in front of our mailbox. How could you possibly not think that would inconvenience the owner? And I live in a pretty rural area so it wouldn't be hard to find another spot that would bother anyone. Some people apparently just don't think.

Definitely get the signs. The person obviously isn't bothered by where their dog poops and needs to be reminded that someone else is.

snp624
05-21-2004, 08:35 AM
I don't think you are in the minority. I'm sure most people feel this is very rude! I can't believe people think this is acceptable. I'm sure they know the house owner won't be happy find dog poop in their yard, but they will just do it because they don't want to carry it around themselves! These people should not have pets.

There is a cat that comes to our property, and he thinks our gravel drive way is his big litter box! I hate it! I wish the neighbor would keep him indoors, since this cat is overly friendly and he just keep rubbing against your legs! This might not sound annoying to lot of you, but my DH is REALLY allergic to cats, and if he touch it, his face would look like he was beaten up. It's too bad because he loves animals, but this cat is just too much!

MartiesMom2B
05-21-2004, 08:48 AM
Letting a dog poop in your yard is disgusting in the first place. Even more disgusting is to not even pick it up! Get a sign. I'd do it.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Normal honey is picking up after your dog...I'm be mad too!!!!
Sorry you are dealing with unresponsible pet owners...

By they way I owe you an emai...
B and B here we come...I was familiar with all of those, but think I know of a few that are better, I'll get a hold of you :)

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Vajrastorm
05-21-2004, 01:56 PM
My next door neighbor's dogs poop on my front lawn. She has them off leash when she gardens and they run over to poop on my yard.

I'm too much of a chicken to say anything, because I want to remain on good terms. :( She probably doesn't even know since the dogs are out of her site. But they do it all the time.

amp
05-21-2004, 03:04 PM
This has been a problem in our neighborhood too, by one particular resident. They put notices in the newsletter and mentioned it at homeowners association meetings, but to no avail. Finally, one neighbor followed the guy home and told him off and then called animal control on him to make a complaint! Yikes! I'd put up a sign or try to catch them at it and say something. There is no reason not to carry a bag and clean up after your pooch. It's in entirely poor taste to let your dog drop a load and then leave it for someone to clean out of their own yard!

AngelaS
05-21-2004, 04:12 PM
I'd definitely do the signs! The most clever idea I've heard is to make your own sign. Make it tombstone shaped and paint it with "Here lies the last dog that pooped in my yard". :D

jal
05-21-2004, 04:43 PM
The problem with the sign is that it may still not do any good because if your area is like ours, people allow their dogs to run around and don't even see that the dog pooped in your yard.

brubeck
05-21-2004, 05:20 PM
When I was a kid I lived on a small street (about 10 houses). There was only 1 dog so we always knew whose it was. The owners started letting this dog run around the neighbourhood and we started finding poops in our lawn. My parents weren't too thrilled but it wasn't that often so they cleaned it up and didn't say anything.

The guy who lived next door to us was VERY fastidious. One day the dog pooped on his lawn. He was so furious that he scooped it up with a shovel and walked over to the dog owner's house where he deposited it on their doormat. Apparently they stepped into it when walking out of the house first thing the next morning. The dog was never left to roam the streets again.

Just a story for thought. :)

caleymama
05-21-2004, 06:19 PM
There is a house in a nearby town that has this sign out front. DH and I laugh every time we drive by because the sign is *huge* in comparison to the front yard. They must have a major problem with dog poop!

FWIW, we live on a corner in a residential neighborhood and there are LOTS of dogs being walked past our house. It seems like most of the owners carry bags. Occasionally we'll find an errant poop in our yard, but for the most part the owners must clean up after their dogs. I do not think you are out of line to be upset and I would encourage you to take some action.

threerugratz
05-22-2004, 10:05 PM
I think it's incredibly rude to let a pet do it's business in someone else's yard. It's their dog, let them deal with it in their own yard. I don't think you should have to walk around your yard checking for dog waste. I find it interesting how people walk their dogs away from their own home to use the bathroom elsewhere.

I am a dog owner by the way. My 2 dogs are kept in large fenced in areas separate from the yard my children play in because I don't want to deal with my kids getting dog poop on them and I don't want to do a walk of the whole yard several times a day. It would really irritate me if another animal was using my yard as a bathroom and I had to do a yard surveying before my kids were able to play.

I think I would put up the sign. If it was me, I would probably put up something to the effect that my yard was not their dog's toilet, lol. I have some major cleanliness issues and have thrown away more than one pair of my kid's shoes when they have stepped in dog poop elsewhere.

I hope you can figure out something that will work. It can be a touchy issue but I don't think you should have to deal with dog waste in your yard from someone else's dog. It's just icky.

Melanie
05-23-2004, 02:32 AM
Definitely get the sign! Someone's dog poops on our lawn occasionally but I have no idea who. There are a lot of dogs around here, many walked on leash, a few not. I find it very very rude, in any case. If you want a dog, PICK UP AFTER IT! Reminds me of those signs you see places: "Your Mother Doesn't live here, clean up after yourself!"

lukkykatt
05-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Ok, I'm glad I haven't been festering over nothing!

I think for now I am going to try to keep an eye out for the culprit. I hate to put up a sign, only because there are lots of dog owners on our street, and I see the majority of them picking up after their dogs. I hate to alienate a whole group of people because of one bad apple.

But I will resort to the sign if need be! Thanks!

lukkykatt
05-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Sounds good to me - can't wait!

kransden
05-26-2004, 04:32 PM
You can buy "Dogbegone" (I think that is the name)at a pet store. You sprinkle it in your yard. It helped me with dogs.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02