PDA

View Full Version : HELP! How do you get cigar smoke out of bassinet??

lmladuke
05-23-2004, 09:15 PM
We have a bassinet that both my sister and I used and then our kids used. My sister was last to use it and when she was done stored it in her BIL's basement. Well, she got it back for me so I can use it when the baby comes in July.

It REEKS of cigar smoke! My sister said she cleaned it down and that it smelled better, but honestly, DH put it in the basement and 4 hours later I went down to do laundry and its all I could smell.

The bassinet is has a quilted lining that can be removed (sister said she washed it) I have removed the lining and sprayed it with fabreze for now, but the inside and outside and mattress all still smell!

I am going to buy a new mattress for it, but does anyone have any ideas for something that really works to remove strong odors, but will not ruin the bassinet? If I can't get the smell out, I won't be able to use it for the baby.

Thankfully the skirting and all of the "fluffy" outside stuff was stored at my sisters house, so that is all clean.

Thanks!

Lori

Momof3Labs
05-23-2004, 09:18 PM
I would stay away from Febreeze - that could irritate the baby's nose or skin as much as or more than cigar smell. The good old sun does wonders for odors, so try sunning the bassinet and bedding. For smaller pieces, I've had great luck sticking them in a plastic bag with some fabric softener sheets for a week or so, though I would launder them afterwards (again, sensitive baby skin).

redhookmom
05-23-2004, 09:22 PM
I agree the sun works wonders. I have put lemon in items and let them sit in the sun. I am guessing that baking soda would work as well. Good Luck.

jal
05-24-2004, 12:09 PM
The thing that I've done to remove smoke smells (and vomit smells) from stuff is to rub it with vinegar (get a bowl of vinegar and wet a rag and rub or dab the rag on the item in question). Then try setting it out in the sun and/or following it up with fabree.