PDA

View Full Version : Emoticons in business email

stillplayswithbarbies
05-27-2004, 11:54 AM
I want to bitch about emoticons in business email. They don't belong there!

That's all.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

C99
05-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Or personal (religious) quotes or forwarded jokes or forwarded urban legends. Ugh.

KGoes
05-27-2004, 02:15 PM
You are absolutely correct! :)

Sorry! Couldn't help myself!
(And I really do agree with you. In fact, I could expound at length on e-mail issues, since you never really know how stupid some intelligent people can be until you have to review all of their e-mails for production in a lawsuit or a FOIA request. . . .)
Kelley
DD born 7/03

egoldber
05-27-2004, 02:54 PM
I so agree!

My number one peeve about business e-mail was when the grammar and spelling was simply atrocious. At least learn to use spellcheck!!!!!!!

mamahill
05-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Oh Karen, that's bad. In a business email? Actually, not bad. Sad. But maybe the person would also put hearts over their "i"s if that was available?

stillplayswithbarbies
05-27-2004, 09:00 PM
you made me chuckle. The person who did it is a man. Now I am picturing him writing his name with a heart over the "i". This is going to amuse me for weeks.

:)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

McQ
05-28-2004, 11:06 AM
There was a lady I worked with named Cheri who was very into music (think one time at band camp :)) who would always sign her name with a music note. I wanted to poke her in the eye every time I saw it.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

Jacksonvol
05-28-2004, 01:21 PM
Or type in a purple glitter font! (I personally think the use of glitter ink should be restricked to those persons under the age of fourteen with a possible exception for scrapbooking.)
Lisa

mamahill
05-28-2004, 01:32 PM
LOL, glad I could put a humorous spin on it. That it's a man, with the hearts, makes it even better. He must be a real class act.

mamahill
05-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Oh yuck. I think I would have either poked her (not just thought about it), or kind of vomitted inside myself. On the other hand, maybe I need to find a "logo" for myself. I think I'll start adding a $ for my name so that people will send me money.

$arah (oooh, I'm liking that already!)

peanut4us
05-28-2004, 02:16 PM
Um, I work with a woman who has an animated gif of a fairy swishing her wand!

mamahill
05-28-2004, 05:13 PM
(vomitting inside myself) That's terrible. Oh wait, though, do you work for the tooth fairy? ;)

-$$$arah (maybe if I add more I'll get more money)

papal
05-28-2004, 11:15 PM
Sarah!! You awful thing!!! I laughed so darn loud at your 'vomitted inside myself" comment that the baby started to wake up!!! Next time please warn us that you are going to be super-funny!

ETA: http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/wuerg/vomit-smiley-001.gif

pritchettzoo
05-29-2004, 12:33 AM
Bling bling. Let us know if it works...

Oooh--you should change your name to $@$$i (with a heart over the i of course)!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

Rachels
05-29-2004, 01:52 PM
Ack, Joey!!! Is it this one?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dust.gif

That's the baby dust emoticon! Why doesn't she just sign her email with "procreative sex! procreative sex!" ???!!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/knit.gif

"We have a secret in our culture...it's not that birth is painful, it's that women are strong!!" - Laura Stavoe Harm

papal
05-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Rachel.. i wanted to say.. i LOVE your knitting-blue-haired-lady animation.... i can stare at her forever.. i like how she knits furiously and then stops and rolls the ball away (is that what she is doing???). so cute.

baby dust lady is pretty darn cute too.. i must start making some cute animated gifs.. i am inspired!

KBecks
06-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Oh no, I've done that. Not often, but I've put a smiley face : )
on emails to a few clients (who are very people-people). Only two or three times a year, I swear!

I always would hesitate before using a smiley face though.
I use them internally as well, but only with people who I think are receptive to a very rare smiley.

No wacky fonts or colors for me though. That's just stupid.

KBecks