PDA

View Full Version : Uggghhh - Bathing suit shopping for me

houseof3boys
05-27-2004, 02:49 PM
So I ventured to the Mall today with Ryan on a quest for a swimsuit for me since I want to start taking him in the pool with me. I didn't think was that tall of an order for a one piece or a tankini! I had ordered 2 from Lands End and they didn't fit my body type so I returned them to Sears. Unfortunately, they had only a few other suits for me to look at while I was there so no luck on the LE front. LL Bean is just too plain for me.

I went to my usual shopping stores, Banana Republic and J. Crew, thinking that this way I get something in my style. Wrong!! I am a pretty small size, but who the heck can fit their tush into the cut of these suits?!?!?! They must be kidding me. Every suit I tried on was meant for someone with no butt and no boobs. I am a C/D on top so I'm not really that large but I was spilling out all over the place.

I went to Bloomingdales and did a little better in the fit department but just didn't find anything I really liked. I never thought I would spend $100 on a swimsuit, but it looks like that is the going price for the stuff that I can actually fit into and wear!

Grrrrrr. I am looking online for cute suits and figure that I am off to Nordstrom tomorrow to check them out there since they have more "adult" and not teeny bopper suits! At least I'll get good service their. It's like pulling teeth for the sales associates to open a fricken fracken changing room for you.

Okay, feel better now.....

Good thing I'm going to the gym today because I am not feeling very positive about my flabby body right now. And why is it that in a swimsuit you have to go up so many sizes for it to fit, perhaps just to make you feel worse?!?!?!

Momof3Labs
05-27-2004, 05:16 PM
I know, Debbi, I hate swimsuit shopping, too! Have you looked places like TJ Maxx, Marshall's and Value City Department Store? They have reasonable suits for light to moderate summer use for a lot less than $100 (I think even $50 is a rip-off for a bathing suit). I found one at Value City last year at about this time for $20-25, and I actually like it!

houseof3boys
05-27-2004, 07:06 PM
I looked at Marshall's and TJ's and didn't find anything that floated my boat. But I think another visit might be in order since I shudder at the thought of spending so much money for a swimsuit. I might not be as picky as I was 4 or 5 weeks ago after todays mall excursion!

Thanks Lori. :)

MelissaTC
05-27-2004, 09:49 PM
I hear you girl!

I had a ton of trouble last year. I started off with a pooch and my c-section only made it worse. Now I have a permanent lifesaver on.

I bought this suit last year from LE. I LOVE it! It is VERY flattering. I am just using it again this year since it got minimal use...

http://aka.landsend.com/IMAGES/PRODUCT/135627.jpg

Good luck to you!

candybomiller
05-27-2004, 10:47 PM
I'm feeling ya Debbi. Sorry, was trying to use my slang, just doesn't work for me, does it?

Unfortunately for me, I am quite overweight and I still have to have a bathing suit - fil lives on a lake. I am SO not looking forward to buying that thing. The thought fills me with trepidation and sends me scurrying towards my oreos. :)

toomanystrollers
05-27-2004, 10:53 PM
Did someone say oreos? :) I hate bathing suits too!!!!!!!!! Someday I hope not to be jiggling so much.

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-27-2004, 11:00 PM
that is real cute!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

MartiesMom2B
05-28-2004, 06:29 AM
I'm afraid to try on suits. Do you think the early 30's style will come back in? You know where the bathing suit goes to your knees and it covers up the whole top. I think, I could possibly get a flattering one of those.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

houseof3boys
05-28-2004, 07:22 AM
Maybe you could start a trend Sonia. :)

pritchettzoo
05-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Debbi, I know everyone is supposed to hate her body, but I can't believe YOU typed that! You are so teensy! I think you should put on a string bikini and dance down the street! :) I sure as hell would if I looked like you! ;)

My friend (LeAnn--you met her...) got a conservative black bikini from Victoria's Secret. She said it fits her better than any one-piece she found. I can get the link from her if you'd like.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

houseof3boys
05-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Pu-leez (how's that for spelling?!). I know I am smallish, but I am a walking bowl of jello when exposed in nothing but a swimsuit!!!! Really, I'm not just saying that for a compliment, I am mushy and jiggly. I am going to the gym regularly now so I will get more toned as my sweatin to the oldies pays off. :)

I lucked out today at Marshall's though and got two Anne Klein tankini suits that I really like that cover as much as a one piece. I am just happy to have the shopping part out of the way as I abhor trying on stuff in those harsh store lights and teeny fitting rooms. I went to Marhsall's in the morning, Ryan had a mini tantrum in the fitting room in his stroller, threw my bag across the floor with contents flying everywhere amidst the dust bunnies that seem to be at every Marshall's (do they ever vaccum in there?), bought a tankini top that I thought was a separate only to find out that it was supposed to be a 2 piece set when I got home to try it on since we left after the outburst and screaming in the dressing room, went back out to Marshall's after dinner tonight in the rain just so I could get it over with and out of the way, they found the bottom to match the top I had purchased earlier that day and now......I am done. Now excuse me as I go dance down my street in my tankini bathing suit and do a happy dance in the dark so no one can see my cellulite. :P

pritchettzoo
05-29-2004, 12:37 AM
I don't think they vacuum at Marshalls or TJ Maxx. I think they use the dust bunnies as after-hours security.

Dance, woman, dance! Should you warn your hubby first so we don't have to make balls in the rubber-walled sleep-away camp? Although it would be a nice, soft craft for people--no pointy tools necessary...

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

jd11365
05-30-2004, 10:23 PM
Well your jello must be sugar-free...I've met you and can't imagine you with swimsuit issues. I do hear ya about Banana Republic...they have never fit my body style...you can't have a booty or a chest to fit in their clothes...and I definitely have both.

My wedding reception was at a lake retreat. After the ceremony, guests were invited to go in the pool, swim in the lake, play volleyball/basketball, whatever. Anyway, I thought it was a great idea...until I realized that I would have to be in a bathing suit...on my wedding day! I ended up at Everything But Water. My suit was awesome...I must say it held everything in...and I wore a sarong. The fabric had a lot of spandex. I didn't realize the difference in quality of suits until I bought this one. I also had help from a salesperson who only helps people with swimsuits. My suit was something I would not have picked out on my own...I'm glad the salesgirl was there to offer suggestions/suits based on my body type. Anyway, long story short...go check out Everything But Water.

HTH!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

votre_ami03
06-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Glad you found a suit! This was me last week. I frantically looked everywhere for a tankini to take to the beach. I found a great suit by Nautica at TJ for $25 & a cute Nautica skirt to go with. Also have an Anne Klein 1 piece & it is a great suit, holds it all in nicely!

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

houseof3boys
06-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Don't ya just love TJ's and Marshall's for the deals? I keep thinking about how ready I was to just drop some serious $$ on some swimsuits and I got two great suits for $60 there!

Glad you found some too. :)

votre_ami03
06-10-2004, 11:10 AM
YES! That will be the first place I go from now on. :) $25 for a Nuatica suit, I couldn't do that at an outlet.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03