PDA

View Full Version : Some woman yelled at Gannon!!

jojo2324
05-30-2004, 10:08 PM
This morning! I woke up (way too bright and early) to a naked, shrieking child. And I mean all the way naked. So I got both the kiddos and went for a walk into town - let DH sleep in for once.

I went to a small bakery and ordered a yogurt with berries. Eight minutes later it still wasn't ready, and Gannon was getting a little antsy. He wasn't being overly obnoxious, but was letting out the occasional squeal. I kept saying shhhh and rocking the stroller. Then this woman turned around and yelled, "HEY! SHHHHH!"

I couldn't believe it!!! I mean, yeah, he was making noise, but are you kidding me??? Does she spend her whole day yelling at little kids to be quiet?

So I told her that she didn't need to speak to my child that way, and I was so very sorry for disrupting two minutes of her Sunday morning. She didn't hear me - I will say that I think she was a *little* nutso.

Then, when she left, she gave him the total staredown. I wanted to throttle her!

I told DH, and he immediately turned bright red and started sputtering. I am SO glad he wasn't there, because who knows what might have happened!!

Moral is, only I am allowed to yell at my kids. (Within reason. And others can too, if they're doing something stupid or dangerous. But not if they're squealing.)

redhookmom
05-30-2004, 10:56 PM
That sucks. Someone did that to my ds in the bookstore recently. The man was annoyed b/c Adam went in front of him instead of behind him in order to get buy. Wow, that mother lion hormone flows fast!!

I didn't say anything. Mostly b/c my son didn't even hear him. It is not what the guy said that annoyed me but the tone he used. I need a snappy comeback b/c I am sure it will happen again.

Do these people think that children should just stay home and never go out?

Mommie2MadLyn
05-30-2004, 11:44 PM
Joanne! Good thing Shawn wasn't there is right! I know if "my" Sean ever heard anyone talk to Madison like that...they'd wish they had picked on someone else's kid!!! To say the least! Oh, I feel so bad for little Gannon, did he hear her? You know Madison, she probably would have stuck up for Herself if someone spoke to her like that! :D Anyway, I hate to say it but the season for "rude" people in the Hamptons is just beginning. So, I hope you don't encounter anything like this again, but if you do...Make Sure She Hears You! Let her have it, some people really need to be put in their place and brought back down to "earth"!!!!

Marisa6826
05-30-2004, 11:49 PM
Yikes! I'd say it was probably my MIL, but I know that she refuses to go into town for food ;)

I would have let G Man out to bite her leg :P

hugs

-m

khakismom
05-31-2004, 12:15 AM
That would've sent me over the edge. I can yell at my children, but strangers are definitely NOT allowed! Rude woman!

lisams
05-31-2004, 12:39 AM
Oh man, I would have been so mad!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did use a very stern voice with another kiddo at the park yesterday and felt really bad afterwards. The kiddo started pushing DD for no reason, and kept doing it until DD was slammed into the ground. I quickly ran over and told the boy "No, you do not push." The mother *then* decided to come over and see what was going on. I felt bad afterwards but upon reflecting decided if that ever happened again I would say the same thing if the mother didn't. Sorry for my little vent there!

Anyways, there was no reason to scold or stare G down - no reason AT ALL. I have a little t-shirt for DD that says "Children should be heard, seen, loved and respected." It's the silent, in-a-trance child that I feel sad for.

Good for you for telling her what you did! Some people spend too much time getting annoyed and too little time enjoying life. Phoey on her.

Lisa

toomanystrollers
05-31-2004, 06:43 AM
Oh Joanne,
What a loony!!!

I love when people witness one of our melt-downs and give you "the look". I always "look" back and asked "haven't you ever seen a 2 year old before!!!"

Lisa,
You have every right to reprimand another child if your child's in harms way! I have no problem acting accordingly (calmly - no yelling :) ) at the playground and would expect other parents to do so w/my kiddos.

jojo2324
05-31-2004, 11:58 AM
No Lisa, I think you are absolutely right! That is okay in my book. Last week at the park a boy started pushing Gannon, and mama bear came out roaring so fast! Not really, but I ran over to investigate, and the other boy moved on so I let it go. But it's so funny how quickly you run to defend your little ones!!

Melanie
05-31-2004, 12:29 PM
What a scrooge!

mamahill
05-31-2004, 03:19 PM
whoa whoa WHOA - NOBODY speaks to my Gster like that! I'm glad y ou said something, even if she was a loony. I don't know what else to say - what a lame-o. But how nice of you to let Dh sleep in. You're a saint.

candybomiller
05-31-2004, 07:39 PM
Wow. That was definitely uncalled for. What a hoochie.

If it happens again, kick some @$$.

Sarah1
05-31-2004, 10:12 PM
OMG...I would have flown into a serious rage. I'm glad you said something to her...even if your voice just blended into the other ones she's got rattling around in her crazy ol' head.

As for disciplining other people's kids...I completely agree w/all that's been said. I had an experience w/this recently--there was a boy at the park (probably a 4 yo) the other day throwing wood chips onto the slide. I looked at him and nicely said, "Now, let's not throw wood chips on the slide, OK?" This devil child then GLARES back at me and as he is staring me down, continues throwing wood chips onto the slide, and starts laughing. My blood began to boil at this point, and I asked, "is your mom here?" Unfortunately, no--he was with a friend and his friend's babysitter. So, I had to let it go at that...:)

papal
05-31-2004, 10:25 PM
Grrrrrrrrr at the obnoxious lady!!!!
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6996.gif

jojo2324
05-31-2004, 10:38 PM
LOL, sounds a lot like my devil child...}(

Sarah1
05-31-2004, 10:49 PM
Oh NO!!!!!!!! :) TOO FUNNY!!!! Maybe it WAS Gannon (tee hee, but I don't think we live in the same city...). OK, I'm sure *all* little boys throw wood chips.