PDA

View Full Version : tired of people telling me it will only get worse

andrea22
05-31-2004, 09:16 PM
hi everyone,
this is my first time on this sight. i saw this as a great place to vent. i'm sure many of you can relate.
i am pregnant with my first. i am due the end of august. so 27 weeks pregnant and uncomfortable at times. i go through periods were i am so uncomfortable, i think because i am getting ready to pop out again. so room is limited for my growing baby. i have been blessed with feeling very good all this time. so when i have trouble sleeping or am uncomfortable, i feel bad complaining, except to my husband, mike.
my mil called and spoke to mike and asked how i was doing. (fyi - this is not typical) mike said i was having trouble sleeping because i was uncomfortable. her response was - tell her it will only get worse! she is not the first person to say this either. i know being uncomfortable is normal and nothing is wrong.
i'm not dumb. i know it will get worse, i expect it to. but this is my first, so this is the most uncomfortable i have ever been. it is all new to me. but i don't even think i am complaining because even through the sleepless nights and rib pain i think i am so blessed to be experiencing this. it just irritates me that she thinks i am whining or looking for sympathy. not from her i asure you!

momathome
05-31-2004, 10:11 PM
Welcome to the boards, Andrea! And congrats on your little baby-to-be! I feel for you on the negative comments - there are some very pessimistic people out there. Of course you have the right to complain, whether it gets worse or not. Pregnancy is such a body-altering experience, it's only natural to feel umcomfortable. For whatever reaon, a lot of people feel the need to tell you how much worse things are going to be, whether it be labor horror stories, terrible 2's, nightmare teenagers - it never ends! Just smile, nod politely (or not, if you choose ;) ) and change the subject. And whenever you feel the need to complain about what you are going through, don't hesitate to come here - we are defintely a been-there-done-that crowd! Take care and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
-Lauren

jd11365
05-31-2004, 10:48 PM
Everything is going to get worse in theory...but the end result is going to make everything soooooo much better! Sometimes (ahem, most of the time) we need to complain when we are pregnant...so you just come here and do it...we'll listen for sure! I bet your feet hurt, your back aches, you are so tired in the morning you crawl to the shower, you are so hungry on the way home from work you want to eat your hand, you can't see your bikini like to shave it... Yes, we have been there girlfriend and we feel for you! And if your MIL thinks you are whining...well fine...you're pregnant and allowed...tell her I said so! Realistically, maybe your DH can ask your mom to be a little more understanding when speaking to you...

Welcome to the boards!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

deborah_r
06-01-2004, 03:28 AM
I know those comments are SOOOO irritating!!! Unfortunately, it just comes with being pregnant. Just try to tune every ne out, and concentrate on that beautiful baby you are going to meet in a few months!!! Don't let them rain on your parade!

(Oh, and a little more bad news, everyone keeps telling you it will get worse at every stage your child goes through too, so you will learn to just ignore it :) )

You'll probably only be pregnant a few times in your life (guessing here, not sure of your plans) and it is an amazing experience - it does have its problems, but try to enjoy it while it lasts! I miss the feeling of the baby kicking inside of me. I still think I feel those kicks sometimes, then I remember I'm not pregnant.

Probably a dumb suggestion, but are you sleeping on your left side? That was the only way I could sleep at that stage of pregnancy!

Stick around and come vent to us anytime!

amp
06-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Everyone else has given you good support and input and I just wanted to agree with Deborah. Pregnancy isn't always comfortable, and it is bound to get more uncomfortable, but I hope you can enjoy some of it. Not eveyone enjoys being pregnant, but I loved it, in spite of the discomforts and I feel that it really was a magical time. I miss feeling Jacob in there moving around and the anticipation of meeting him for the first time (really the anticipation of even knowing if he was a he or a she!). There is nothing quite like meeting that baby for the first time and this is the road there. Enjoy it as best you can. And ignore the negative people who try to scare you or make it sound like they are the expert. Hang in there.

andrea22
06-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Thank you all so much for your support! In some way it is comforting to know that everyone goes through this. Not so exciting to find out it doesn't stop.
Oh well! I am enjoying this stage and look forward to the one to follow. You are absolutely right, feeling the baby move is the best part. I already can imagine missing it once I meet my little one.
I have tried sleeping on my left side. It helps some, until my hips ache from laying on them. Even with the body pillow. My hips are probably the most bothersome. I figure the are just spreading and loosening getting ready for delivery.
Thanks agian for everything!
Andrea

Jacksonvol
06-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Andrea,

I am sorry you are uncomfortable. I remember that soreness, I swear it felt like I had been kicked by a mule. I got some "eggcrate" foam to put on top of the matress and that helped a little. I also appropriated every pillow in the house (I am not kidding, I even took the bolsters from the guest room.) and built a little wedge around my hips each night.

I will tell you that it actually will get a little better as your pregnancy progresses. When the baby drops, you will be able to breath again.

Also, consider spending a lot of time in water this summer. I loved it when I could get in my parent's pool and let the water support me. This also worked well in the bathtub.

Hang in there and complain all you want!
Lisa

ritacheetah
06-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Check out my thread - "10 Things NOT To Say To a Pregnant Woman" :D

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=9015&mesg_id=9015&page=2&topic_page=2

Tracy
Mom to Victoria
12/20/03

brubeck
06-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Actually Andrea if it makes you feel better it might not get worse! It might just get different. :)

When the baby drops (and it drops at different times for all women or may not drop at all before delivery) everything changes. You have no more pressure on your lungs/rib cage and your organs are less pressured too. However baby is now sitting on your bladder so you will probably have to pee more often.

It's a trade off. But it might happen so keep it in mind.

But as for the only gets worse people, think about this: the feelings your baby gives you, the little movements and kicks: that will only get BETTER!

deenass
06-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Have you tried baths? Toward the end of my pregnancy I got a lot of relief from sitting in the tub at night. Then I also found I got a lot of relief from rocking on my knees with my butt in the air (sounds strange I know) but it did make me more comfortable in the short term (and was a great position when I was in labor).

Good luck and feel good!

californiagirl
06-01-2004, 04:22 PM
The good news: It may not get worse. It's unlikely to get better, but for me it was bad in different ways for a long time, without getting a lot worse.

The bad news: People will not stop telling you how you feel and/or forecasting doom. I had a good pregnancy and people were very good to me -- no horror stories, almost no touching my belly without asking -- but I went to 42 weeks, and I was ready to slap the next person who said sympathetically "Gee, you must be tired of being pregnant" by 40.

Oh. and more good news: Once the baby was born, people started telling me that it just gets better.

StaceyKim
06-01-2004, 10:09 PM
welcome!
Some people just have negative things to say about everything! Of course you are allowed to feel the way you do. Being pregnant IS hard on your body. It doesn't mean that you don't feel lucky to be having a baby.
I get sooooooooooooooo many annoying comments DAILY and it's usually from people who are just negative people. I think I could write a book and fill it with the irritating commments (usually from total strangers).
I would just focus on the positive comments and ignore the others.
Enjoy your pregnancy and congrats!

JMS
06-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Just think in a few months you'll have a beautiful baby and although you'll remember how uncomfortable being pregnant was at times, the memories of how it actually felt will eventually fade.
I was amazed at how much of the uncomfortableness (don't think that's a word) was gone the day after I gave birth.. of course then there were all new not so great feelings.. hang in there, it will be over before you know it.. and by all means, VENT whenever you need to !