PDA

View Full Version : For SAHP's, do ya ever have to force yourself to remember your SO works too?

flagger
06-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Yes I know we work pretty hard, and I know that Ms. Flagger works her arse off at work, but today is just one of those days where I want to hand Cocoa off as soon as she gets home and run away and join the circus. I call today a R******* day named after our old neighbor (whose name I will not use). Everyday, we would see her handing off both of her two kids to her husband as SOON as he got home. I try real hard not to be like her.

It started out with me having a fasting labs appointment at 9AM at our GP's office followed by Cocoa's one year check up. I didn't get in until 9:45 and we didn't end up leaving until right before 11AM. I tell you that office is completely disorganized and we are off to find a traditional pedi. They send us off to the lab in the same centre to get a finger stick on Cocoa, but as I am driving over there, I notice that my *$&*# tire is flat. "Only I didn't say Fudge...I said the F - - - word" (Just a little A Christmas Story reference for ya). Why this happens when I am hungry, Cocoa is still screaming from her two shots and I have no cellphone and am wearing a white shirt.

Got the tire changed, went home, got cleaned up and went to NTB to get the tire which we just bought replaced. At least that went quickly. Went back to the Lab where I noticed they were about to close for lunch, but I got in in time. Let me tell you, holding Cocoa for that finger prick for them to get enough blood for the test was the worst (Seemed like) five minutes of my life!!!

I decide I want to head out alone just to the store when by IM, Ms. Flagger informs me of a conference call she has to go on. I head out to the store with Cocoa in tow. When I get back, she is still on the call, so I make plans to go see Day After Tomorrow at the DLP theatre in Plano. I am going just for the special effects.

Sorry for this long rambling bitch, but as a SAHP, are there days you forget to ask your SO, "So honey how was your day?"

redhookmom
06-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Just about everyday. Or, if I do I don't really mean it. I am always trying to remind myself to appreciate him more...

Good for you for taking time for yourself.

bluej
06-02-2004, 08:23 PM
I do ask everyday how DH day was. BUT, he's a real talker and he can go on and on and on about the most boring dribble, so I only half listen. So does it count if he THINKS I'm listening?

It stinks when you are having a rough day and your spouse can't get home to relieve you. Or worse yet if you both have a bad day and nobody wants to do the relieving!

I hope you get out to see your movie and enjoy some special effects.

papal
06-02-2004, 08:35 PM
>>are there days you forget to ask your SO, "So honey how was your day?"

Ummm... YES!!!
Reasons:
1. I just want to be able to sit for 5 minutes with a cup of coffee, not talk to ANYONE and not have to worry about Leela waking up or whatever.
2. Because I know he will go into technical details about some patent or the other, and frankly I just think it is awfully boring and I would rather poke my eyes out with a blunt fork.
3. I sometimes feel jealous (and angry) that he got to go to work on his bike, enjoy the great weather and get some exercise.

Gosh, that makes me sound like a total beeeatch.. but I am not really. You totally should not feel bad.. if I had a day like yours.. I would be heading out of the same door that dh was opening to come home.

amp
06-02-2004, 09:41 PM
I forget all the time! I almost always feel ready to hand Jake off to John when he gets home. I am always reminding him that I don't get lunch hours and I don't get to leave work at 5pm. Heck, I don't even get to go to the bathroom by myself! But DH is quick to remind me that he works 8 hrs, comes home at lunch and after work and helps out, so he really doesn't get a break either. I have to remind myself sometimes to thank him for all he does for this family.

Hope tomorrow is better for you, Flagger!

mik8
06-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Flagger, I'm so right there with you. Although I work occasionally, most of the time (70% of a month) I stay home.
It's funny because my DH is like Jen's (bluej), he can just go on and on (in a jolly and upbeat way all the time) and completely oblivious when I have a bad day. So, I "tend" to forget that he has rough days too. Sometimes, all I do at the end of the day is listen for his car to pull up our garage so I can hand Sofia to him.

flagger
06-03-2004, 01:54 AM
Well I am glad I am not the only one who has to force him or herself to ask their SO about their day. It was good to get away for some me time, though I did miss them terribly.

Watching the moving on a DLP screen was nothing short of amazing. The difference between that projection and a traditional film projection is literally night and day. The movie itself was exactly what I thought it would be. Some great special effects, along with hammering of environmental hoo-hah and lots and lots of willful suspension of disbelief. (A storm surge of that size would have knocked over the Statue of Liberty, but that is quibbling and makes for a postcard for those last shots)

deborah_r
06-03-2004, 03:26 AM
Well, my DH seems to have a bad day every day (hates his job) so I don't ask, because it just upsets him if I ask. He is always very tired when he gets home, partially because he gets up several hours before he needs to so that he can work on his passion, which is his photographs, which he is hoping to turn into a career at some point. I try to take some leisure time while Kai naps because I know he will not relieve me of my parenting duties when he gets home. He might tend to Kai for 20-30 minutes while I clean up the kitchen or something, but that's about it.

alkagift
06-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Flagger,
Absolutely. Frequently forget to say thank you and how was your day. Normally DH comes home and immediately plays with DS for a half hour then feeds him and puts him to bed while I get dinner ready for us. I know that before DS he would travel a lot and I would use the time to read and watch bad TV. Now, however, I find myself whining a bit when he has to travel because I don't have that extra two hours of "break" before Matthew goes down and so feel a bit more run down than normal. I feel guilty for not being more caring and interested, but sometimes I just don't want to know how his day was or how his business trip was, I just want a nap!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Melanie
06-05-2004, 07:25 PM
OH yes...I always think of him as getting a 9 hour vacation...LOL...Only, I know it's not, it just REALLY seems like it.

DebbieJ
06-05-2004, 09:09 PM
I hear ya! I'm so jealous--DH gets to go hang out with other adults all day long and have intellectual (or not so intellectual) conversations.

There are days when he is the only adult I actually talk to.

And depending on his work schedule, I may or may not get my "break" everyday. I savor naptime!

~ deb
mommy to brendan 12/7/03

starrynight
06-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Yes, sometimes! With an infant, a toddler and an older kid I sure do, but I try and save any major ranting for the truly insane days LOL.

Sounds like that was the day from hell, I dread days like that!