PDA

View Full Version : AOL is run by idiots!

AngelaS
06-04-2004, 08:48 AM
For the last week, my dh has been accusing me of not responding to the emails he sends from work. I never got them. He checked with the office computer techie who says they went out. Odd, right? They never bounced back to him.

Then, several other people contact me (some thru email), some thru other ways to let me know I didn't respond to their emails. What emails?? I didn't get them!

So I call AOL technical support. They ask me to reset my mail settings. I did. Yesterday, ALL my mail went to the spam folder!! EVERY bit of it!

Today I undid that and turned off the spam filter. Now guess what comes to my inbox?? Yep, SPAM!! So far, nothing else. Oh, except for the 'thanks for calling technical support'.

I have talked to no less than TEN people, including the 'tech genius'. He appeared to be the biggest idiot of all. Right up there with about 3 other idiots who couldn't figure out how to transfer me to the next person. Hello? No wonder I can't get email if they can't use the PHONE!!!

Oh, and dh still cannot email me! Nor can my FIL....or several others....

I guess I will keep calling AOL on their handy dandy 1800 number until they resolve this. For what I'm paying a month, they can pay a lot of 1-800 charges!!!

starrynight
06-04-2004, 09:04 PM
I now always refer to aol as aohell it is horrible! I'm sorry you had to deal with idiots on the phone, we had horrible service, long waits on the phone to tech support and then the people who answered couldn't help among other things. We finally went to earthlink and haven't had any problems since!

jal
06-07-2004, 12:13 PM
While I'm no lover of AOL, lets keep in mind who the real trouble-makers are... the SPAMMERS!!!

Because we are DROWNDING in SPAM, companies ATTEMP to do several things to help block the flood. Unfortunately, these efforts frequently block legitamate mail as well. I know some companies that block entire domains because at one point in time someone in that domain didn't have the right security and a spammer go hold of their space and now all mail from that domain is blocked.

I don't know if this is exactly your problem with AOL, but as an example, I can no longer send my work account email from my home account because our company appears to be blocking ALL email from the domain my home email originates from.

Bottom line is that because of Spammers, email is no longer reliable because you never know when a legitimate message gets blocked.

And just to give you an idea how bad some of us are drownding, I currently average 250 emails blocked by my ISP for me, and of the 20 remaining that get throught, 2 are legitamate (and that is PER DAY).

jmofarrill
06-08-2004, 09:37 PM
250 emails blocked? Wow. I created an email account through Yahoo that I use to register at websites that I'm not to sure about. That account gets loads and loads of SPAM, but my real accounts get maybe 2 SPAM emails total each day.

starrynight
06-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Wow that seems like a lot of spam! I get maybe 3 a week at my yahoo address and maybe 2 a month at my earthlink address but I only give out my EL addy to a limited amount of people, I use my yahoo for all website signups and groups. I guess I'm lucky to not have that much crud.

I wonder if aol attracts spam because I got so much more spam when we had them.